The Student Room Group

parking on a hill without using handbrake?

Scroll to see replies

Just get it done. How much money do you think you'll save? A new set of rear pads will probably only set you back £10, it's just not worth scrimping over. For what it's worth the parking pawl in the autobox isn't designed to replace the handbrake, and using it as such (particularly on an incline) seriously risks wear to the pawl and/or the transmission housing, which will cost three or four figures to repair. From your post it sounds like you know that relying on a speed bump instead of a brake is a dumb idea, which it certainly is.

Or to put it more simply: are you prepared to risk hundreds of pounds worth of damage, whilst breaking the law and driving an unroadworthy car, to possibly save a few quid?

(Remember, you'll only actually save any money if you keep the car until the pads need changing again, and rear pads in particular wear slowly. Unless you're driving like a tit you'd need to keep the car for years to have any hope of saving money).
what car is it?
Sell your car. If you cant afford to maintain it correctly you cant afford to keep the car. Simple as that.
Obviously has everyone else has said, applying no handbrake is pretty much playing with fire.

However, if you don't want to pay, I'd go on mechanics advice over anyone on the Internet.

Is there not a parking area where you don't have to park on a hill? Can you not park on a private drive or in a quiet flat road. The issue is, although you could anchor the car with a wheel, if someone hits you parked, you car is going to be going on its own little adventure into other traffic!
The cheapest option is to buy the correct parts on something like EuroCarParts and learn how to fix it yourself. Rear brakes are hardly rocket science. You may even be able to fix it with some sandpaper and elbow grease with no money spent at all.
Reply 25
Original post by thisistheend
You sound like a real joy. Do you walk around peeping into every car window to see if the handbrake is up?
Nah, not my job. I just advise people that there are others whose job is to peep into cars. You don't have to follow my advice, but those who do never get fined or have to pay damages.

Are you telling me at 1 o clock in the morning, you would not use your common sense and ignore the Highway code / sign and turn right? That you'd turn left then do a U turn like an unthinking plonk of wood?
Yes, I would. I'd never live it down if a camera caught me or I were seen by somebody. Far from being an unthinking plonk (think you mean plank) of wood, I do what I do after careful consideration.
Original post by Advisor
Nah, not my job. I just advise people that there are others whose job is to peep into cars. You don't have to follow my advice, but those who do never get fined or have to pay damages.

Yes, I would. I'd never live it down if a camera caught me or I were seen by somebody. Far from being an unthinking plonk (think you mean plank) of wood, I do what I do after careful consideration.

And you do this because you're paranoid that everyone is a grass and out to get you. Speak for yourself mate. I see plenty of idiots on the road and I never think to do a thing.
I think legally you CAN park without a handbrake HOWEVER you must use wheel chocks (an old old way of holding your car in place). This may work as a temporary solution until you get it fixxed. As for not getting it fixxed at all... Thats retarded... dont do that.
Reply 28
Original post by CAElite
I think legally you CAN park without a handbrake HOWEVER you must use wheel chocks (an old old way of holding your car in place). This may work as a temporary solution until you get it fixxed. As for not getting it fixxed at all... Thats retarded... dont do that.

Chocks are an interesting idea and are certainly used for long term car storage (especially heritage vehicles a garage). But if it was my car out in the open on a public highway I'd be worried they would get nicked.
Also, every passing police vehicle will wonder why you need chocks

It would be interesting to know the vehicle as the bill seems somewhat steep for fixing the sticky handbrake. As said, I fixed my girlfriend's simply by finding a clear road and running the car forwards and backwards while applying the HB to unstick it.

The OP is talking about replacing the discs. Most hand rakes are drums
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by domonict
Also, every passing police vehicle will wonder why you need chocks

It would be interesting to know the vehicle as the bill seems somewhat steep for fixing the sticky handbrake. As said, I fixed my girlfriend's simply by finding a clear road and running the car forwards and backwards while applying the HB to unstick it.

The OP is talking about replacing the discs. Most hand rakes are drums

I'm not sure what I'm talking about exactly. The mechanic said it would be 200 odd to replace rear calipers. I trust what he says.
You ask for advice on a forum then start getting bitchy when you don't like said advice that you receive. Why ask then?
Original post by SonicOfPron
You ask for advice on a forum then start getting bitchy when you don't like said advice that you receive. Why ask then?

Because I asked for mechanical advice, not legal advice.

Simple enough for you to comprehend, no? If you asked for apples and got an organge instead.
So what car is it?
Reply 34
I'm not sure what I'm talking about exactly.

^correct
Because I asked for mechanical advice, not legal advice.

Simple enough for you to comprehend, no? If you asked for apples and got an organge instead.

False. You're asking for advice on how to break the law so is it any wonder that people are bringing up the legal connotations rather than assisting you in the commission of a road traffic offence?
Which car do you own? Is it freezing where do you live? as you said that when the car warms up its easier to disengage the e-Brake, ice can get accumulated into the brakes system too, try warming up your car till the temp needle is around 1/3 or a fourth also take a shovel and remove some ice beneath the car, it help heat to dissipate much easily.The heat tranfers from a higher potential (engine) to a lower potential (Brake system) which helps in releasing the brake. Its more common in cars below 1996, if your car got e-brake then you will need to replace brake sensor or circuit most probably. But do get it checked from certified garage/workshop or try researching about your car issue on online forums, they will help you how to repair it yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Keep rolling rolling rolling rolling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending