The Student Room Group

Applying for Maths at both Imperial & Oxford

If all goes well with my AS results, I was thinking of applying to both Imperial and Oxford for their mathematics course. However, they both require MAT, and I've been advised to not apply to both of these unis in case I don't do too well on the MAT and end up getting rejected by both. Is it worth applying to both if this is the case?

I've read on the Imperial website that if your MAT score is borderline, they might consider giving you an offer including STEP if you've indicated that you'll be taking it (which I am), but how often does this actually happen if your MAT score isn't that great?
Reply 1
It is very risky and not advisable to apply to both, as both unis have similar MAT scores for offer criteria. My friend did this and got rejected from both with a score in the 60s.

Just apply to the one you would rather go to.
Reply 2
Original post by Buses
It is very risky and not advisable to apply to both, as both unis have similar MAT scores for offer criteria. My friend did this and got rejected from both with a score in the 60s.

Just apply to the one you would rather go to.

What were their grades like?
Reply 3
Original post by Magnesium
What were their grades like?

They got 4a at AS, 3a* predictions and i dont remember gcses (they were good though), and are at warwick now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Magnesium
If all goes well with my AS results, I was thinking of applying to both Imperial and Oxford for their mathematics course. However, they both require MAT, and I've been advised to not apply to both of these unis in case I don't do too well on the MAT and end up getting rejected by both. Is it worth applying to both if this is the case?

I've read on the Imperial website that if your MAT score is borderline, they might consider giving you an offer including STEP if you've indicated that you'll be taking it (which I am), but how often does this actually happen if your MAT score isn't that great?

Lots of people do apply to both. To do so doesn't obviously seem more risky than applying to two or more universities that use STEP. If you feel sure that some of your five choices will definitely give you an offer then I wouldn't worry. To apply to Oxford at all is "risky" in the sense only 1 in 5 or 6 get an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest