The Student Room Group

THE STRAIGHT A's AT AS THREAD

Hey guys! So I've just finished Year 11, I'll be taking Physics, Maths, Chem and Bio next year, and I aspire to become a Doctor.
Please feel free to discuss tips and preparation here!
For my prep, so far I've completed some "Headstart to" books, and started going through Core 1 and 2 for Maths. I don't plan to do too much over this summer but I do want to be a little prepared because I'm off to a new school and know no-one there :3
Good luck to you all!!
:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No Further Maths? I am disappoint.
Original post by simonli2575

I know, then she'd have my five. Mind, she is escaping a real pain in the arse by not doing FM.
Original post by FatimaHere
Hey guys! So I've just finished Year 11, I'll be taking Physics, Maths, Chem and Bio next year, and I aspire to become a Doctor. Please feel free to discuss tips and preparation here!

For my prep, so far I've completed some "Headstart to" books, and started going through Core 1 and 2 for Maths. I don't plan to do too much over this summer but I do want to be a little prepared because I'm off to a new school and know no-one there :3

Good luck to you all!! :smile:

Hellooo, I've just finished year 13 and am waiting to see if I've done enough to get into med school. My advice would be to do a little bit of reading for each subject over the summer but no extensive notes or anything. I found this helped when I started year 12 as I didn't get that overwhelming "oh my god everything is new, I'm still getting used to it and I've also got to get on top of my work" kind of feeling, as most of my classmates didn't get on top of stuff until Christmas. I always read up on what we'd be doing in the next lesson so that the lesson would be like revision/consolidation and I'd learn stuff properly as I went along. Try and relax over this summer as next summer may be quite busy for you with the UKCAT and med application prep, so make the most of it! Good luck with your GCSE results! :smile:
Reply 4

Ahahahha sorry buddy, nope. What are you taking?:tongue:

Original post by Cadherin
I know, then she'd have my five. Mind, she is escaping a real pain in the arse by not doing FM.

Aha, I'm aiming for 95% or more, so wanted to lessen my load. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Hellooo, I've just finished year 13 and am waiting to see if I've done enough to get into med school. My advice would be to do a little bit of reading for each subject over the summer but no extensive notes or anything. I found this helped when I started year 12 as I didn't get that overwhelming "oh my god everything is new, I'm still getting used to it and I've also got to get on top of my work" kind of feeling, as most of my classmates didn't get on top of stuff until Christmas. I always read up on what we'd be doing in the next lesson so that the lesson would be like revision/consolidation and I'd learn stuff properly as I went along. Try and relax over this summer as next summer may be quite busy for you with the UKCAT and med application prep, so make the most of it! Good luck with your GCSE results! :smile:

Hey hey!! Oooo okay, I wish you the very best of luck!!!
Ahhhh alright, thank you for the tips! :smile:
And thanks! :h:

Aha, I'm aiming for 95% or more, so wanted to lessen my load. :wink:

Good idea - UMS in that region is important for Cambridge applications. I am praying I have got something in that ball park for bio, chem and maths, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating I suppose.
Reply 7
Good Luck in being a doctor!
(I still don't know what A-levels to do)
Reply 8
Good idea - UMS in that region is important for Cambridge applications. I am praying I have got something in that ball park for bio, chem and maths, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating I suppose.

Oh yes, definitely. True true, so are you awaiting AS results? And was the 4th Physics? :tongue:
Oh yes, definitely. True true, so are you awaiting AS results? And was the 4th Physics? :tongue:

Yes, I'm awaiting results with fingers crossed for chem, phys, maths and further (biology was Y10/Y11)

I think FP1 screwed me for FM though :frown: - supposed to be an easy unit as well.

Maths, Further Maths and Physics. My AS subject is Chemistry.
And I've actually already completed my A-levels.
Reply 11
Yes, I'm awaiting results with fingers crossed for chem, phys, maths and further (biology was Y10/Y11)

I think FP1 screwed me for FM though :frown: - supposed to be an easy unit as well.

Oooo, good luck, I hope you achieve what you've aimed for!
Aw, you've far more likely than not, done far better than you think!:redface:
You took an A-Level when you were doing GCSEs??:eek::K:
Reply 12
Maths, Further Maths and Physics. My AS subject is Chemistry.
And I've actually already completed my A-levels.

Nice subjects! How did you do at AS and A2? (although you've probably not gotten your A2 results yet if I'm correct)
Oooo, good luck, I hope you achieve what you've aimed for!
Aw, you've far more likely than not, done far better than you think!:redface:
You took an A-Level when you were doing GCSEs??:eek::K:

Yes - came out with an A* in the end so I definitely think it was worth it looking back - relieved a bit of pressure this year I think from a year I've found very tough.
Reply 14
Yes - came out with an A* in the end so I definitely think it was worth it looking back - relieved a bit of pressure this year I think from a year I've found very tough.

Wow!!! That's pretty incredible!!!! Yep I have no doubt you'll be getting the UMS scores you want now.:biggrin::h:
Hey guys! So I've just finished Year 11, I'll be taking Physics, Maths, Chem and Bio next year, and I aspire to become a Doctor. Please feel free to discuss tips and preparation here!

Good luck to you all!! :smile:

You really need to chill.

When term time starts you can start working through core textbooks, I'd enjoy the summer if I were you.
Wow!!! That's pretty incredible!!!! Yep I have no doubt you'll be getting the UMS scores you want now.:biggrin::h:

Don't tempt fate - I'm anxiously awaiting the 13th! :tongue:

I'm worried about FM. Tbh I'd rather have a B in FM and 93+% UMS in maths dependent on module allocation.
Nice subjects! How did you do at AS and A2? (although you've probably not gotten your A2 results yet if I'm correct)

At AS, I got full marks for Maths and As for Physics and Chemistry.
I'm hoping to get 3 A*s in A2.

Though I kinda regret not doing more subjects like music.
Hi I want to study biology chemistry math and English language and literature. I want to get 97 UMS or above. Does anyone have any advice for these subjects?
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Hi I want to study biology chemistry math and English language and literature. I want to get 97 UMS or above. Does anyone have any advice for these subjects?

97 seems like an odd choice.
Anyway, for Maths, try doing questions that follow the A-level syllabus but are harder than A-level standards.

Quick Reply

Latest