The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Biology at Imperial vs. Evolutionary Biology at Edinburgh

Hi,
fairly long message incoming, so buckle up :smile:

Important background. So I've always been really passionate about biology, but my favourite topic has always been evolutionary biology, and as far back as year 10 I've wanted to study and work as an evolutionary biologist

Back when applying for Uni my first choice was Cambridge. It was all I had dreamed of for years and was gutted when I fell at the first hurdle, being rejected for interview. My other choices were Edinburgh, Bristol and Imperial. The course I applied for at Imperial was Biology with a year in research, while Edinburgh stood out to me as actually offering a course of evolutionary biology, aligning exactly with my interests.

I ended up placing Imperial as my firm choice for Uni, with Edinburgh as my insurance. Looking back on it now after school has wound down and exams are over, I'm pretty conflicted about my decision. A large part of me feels I impulse chose Imperial based on it being the "next best" after Cambridge, with no real thought put into the decision beyond that and being in a city would be great. Whereas I now feel Edinburgh has the course that best suits my interests.

So what I'm asking is if anyone has done evolutionary biology at Edinburgh, what is the course like? Does anyone know how it compares to straight biology courses at other Uni's? What makes Edinburgh such a great Uni? And is it too late to do anything about this now?

TL;DR I think I impulse selected my firm choice based on rankings rather than the course. What is the course at Edinburgh like and do I still have time to change my decision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending