The Student Room Group

How Much Petrol Money Should I Pay Him?

So my boyfriend lives quite a while away from me. We both live about 15-20 miles away from the nearest city (Hull) so we have to travel into Hull to meet whenever we do. I always get the bus but he can drive so he chooses to do that. He'll then normally drive me back to his house so that's 28 miles already he's driven just to come to meet me, then take me back to his. After spending time with him, he always, no matter how much I beg him to leave me at the bus stop to catch the bus, will drive me directly back home, avoiding the city. This itself from his is 23 miles just one way to mine from his, so he will then drive back home after dropping me off, making 46 miles. After adding this up, he will use 74 miles just in one day of meeting me. We will normally meet 3ish times per week, give or take 1. I've decided I'm going to start giving him petrol money to contribute to all this work he does for me but how much would be my fair share? Would it be easier to pay once a week to count for the entire week's meetings we have or shall I pay him some money every individual time? I don't drive so all this miles to the gallon and money crap goes over my head so I need someone who knows their cars to help me. I don't know how much he pays for his petrol but I know these things:

1. He drives a vauxhall corsa.

2. £40 will fill his tank completely if empty.

Thanks, sorry for going into one but like I said, I know nothing about cars so I'm useless at this sort of stuff XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
£40 will probably cover the tank, but if he doesn't mind it maybe make it up in other ways like buying an extra round or paying for food. it also depends on what both of your incomes are like
Reply 2
Original post by Cowy97
£40 will probably cover the tank, but if he doesn't mind it maybe make it up in other ways like buying an extra round or paying for food. it also depends on what both of your incomes are like

My income is quite dicey. I'm 16 and he's 18 so we have a gap in our wages as he is entitled to more money p/h than me. At worst I will be getting about £50 a month so I don't know how long that will last, maybe I should make it up in other ways because I treat him enough as it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
a little corsa will probably get 35 to 45mpg, a gallon is around £5.10.. personally in my corsa 1.2 sxi, I get around 38mpg about 75 miles for a tenner but my lambda sensor is faulty so its overfuelling a bit, a full tank in the corsa is about 45 litres and about £51 to fill, its just over 10 gallons, you should in theory get around 380 - 400 miles to a tank, up to about 450 depending on where you drive, how heavy your foot is, how 'economically' you drive etc etc obviously start stop driving will use more than if you have a 50 mile straight run on a motorway or dual carriage way etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Petrol money is the most awkward thing to work out. Just don't give him anything unless he asks for it. If you feel bad buy him drinks until you don't feel bad any more and that's how much the petrol was worth.
The problem with petrol money is that it's doesn't necessarily just represent fuel... Wear and tear on a car can cost a fair bit too. Business mileage is 45p ish a mile to cover this.

If he's doing 75 odd miles 3 times a week it's say 800 a month which is near enough 80-90 quid. If you may only earn £50 then you're putting practically all your potential earnings into his car, and that doesn't help him when he needs new tyres or an MOT or whatever.

If I were you I'd offer him your equivalent bus fare money for the journey - if he was really concerned about petrol money then you'd probably end up getting the bus more. Appreciate his kind gesture of giving you lifts, and so long as you make it clear you're more than happy to get the bus you're probably min the clear.

I dot know what his income is, but if he's happy to drive 800 miles a month to see you then he's probably not in major financial dire straights...
enough to fill the tank once a month
you should take turn about - he drives you one week, then you drive him next week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending