The Student Room Group

How much does a Cambridge degree count for compared to other universities?

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 132435
Sorry, should have said. I don't have a precise job in mind but I want to study history.

It matters somewhat for some jobs. But probably increasingly less so than before.

Find a shortlist of courses and unis you like... and anyway Camb would only be 1 slot on your UCAS and you may not even get an offer anyway :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you! Of course, I may not get an offer, so I need to decide whether I should make it one of the five :smile:
Original post by 132435
Hi,

Compared to universities such as St Andrews and Durham, how much does a degree from Cambridge count for when it comes to applying for jobs?
This isn't the most important thing for me, however because I like a number of universities equally, or even more than Cambridge in some aspects, it could swing the decision.

Thank you!

Many university ranking use 'job prospect' as one of the data, so have a looked at rankings by QS or The Times, if you're interested.
But, you know what? That sort of statistic data (usually percentage of graduate in employment within 6-months) is really meaningless irl. Say, for example, if a ranking says 'Cambridge 86%' and ''79% St. Andrews.' What does the difference of 7% make in the real life? Which side of '7%' will you be? In what kind of industry?

St Andrews is very good, very well respected university. And employers are not so simple as picking up a job applicant only because he/she went to higher-ranking university.

Have a look at the details of courses of both universities and choose the one you prefer, not for the higher ranking in job prospect.
You are best off going to somewhere you think that you will be happy and do well. I got many interviews from coming top of an average redbrick. I've just missed a distinction by a mark on my Cambridge M.Phil - I needed the distinction for the PhD programme I wanted to do. Chances are if I'd have stayed at my old university, I'd have got the distinction. Prestige isn't everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending