The Student Room Group

anyone been to Norway?

looking to do some solo travelling next summer in Norway as it looks like such a beautiful country and i definitely need to photograph the fjords. I don't know an awful much about Norway so if anyone else has travelled there could you give me some tips on places to see and how to travel fairly cheaply?
Hi, I'm actually norwegian :P okay, first thing about norway is that everything is expensive because of the high living standards and wages. if you want to stay in norway for a while you should definitely have a lot of cash with you. I think the cheapest way to live is to bring a tent and basically camp out in the nature.

During the summer there's the midnight sun in the northern parts of norway. it's definitely worth seeing it. You got great nature and views in lofoten, and if you like fishing that's also the place to be :biggrin:

Norway is a pretty small country, so if you want to visit cities you can take the train basically everywhere down south. Bergen is a pretty great place to visit, Oslo is our capital (pretty ****ty, but eh). The thing about Norway is that you can go to basically every city, and get to somewhere pretty with great nature. It depends on how far you want to travel and so on
Reply 2
Fit blond girls everywhere.:redface:
Original post by Josb
Fit blond girls everywhere.:redface:

HAHAHAH- wait are you serious
Reply 4
Original post by Sinemetu3
HAHAHAH- wait are you serious

Yes. :sogood:
Reply 5
Original post by Sinemetu3
Hi, I'm actually norwegian :P okay, first thing about norway is that everything is expensive because of the high living standards and wages. if you want to stay in norway for a while you should definitely have a lot of cash with you. I think the cheapest way to live is to bring a tent and basically camp out in the nature.

During the summer there's the midnight sun in the northern parts of norway. it's definitely worth seeing it. You got great nature and views in lofoten, and if you like fishing that's also the place to be :biggrin:

Norway is a pretty small country, so if you want to visit cities you can take the train basically everywhere down south. Bergen is a pretty great place to visit, Oslo is our capital (pretty ****ty, but eh). The thing about Norway is that you can go to basically every city, and get to somewhere pretty with great nature. It depends on how far you want to travel and so on

Really want to travel as your description:frown:
Original post by Josb
Yes. :sogood:

French girls better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by GnomeMage
French girls better

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, no. Norway is unreal. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Well, I'm not Norwegian but I'll chat anyway.
I've been going to anorway ever since... I was born I think?? This is mainly due my family in Norway. Honestly, I'm not complaining!
Norway is honestly an amazing and such a beautiful country. Whenever I go, I always stay in Oslo. I've seen the Northern lights in Norwway before, although it was only a glimpse as i was in a rush. I saw it clearer in Sweden though! (Again, family).
I've traveled back and firth between Sweden, it don't take that long tbh. Maybe 45-60 mins. It depends on traffic I guess.
Oslo, is a really cold city. I'm saying this because, normally, every time I go there, it's winter time. This Summer will be the first time I go in wam weather for 2/3 years.
Hope you had a nice time!
Original post by GnomeMage
French girls better

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been to France for 6 Summers in a row and I have been to Sweden+Denmark twice.

Scandinavian girls are in a completely different league, trust me
I've been to Bergen (second biggest city in Norway) and had train connections in Oslo.

From what I've heard Oslo is a very boring city and there's not much going on; supposedly nowhere near as good as its Scandi cousins Stockholm and Copenhagen (both of which I have visited and can vouch for being amazing - Stockholm being my favourite of the two). Having said that, if you are planning on travelling around the whole of Norway you will probably need to make Oslo your main base since it's relatively central and connections between other cities are very limited unless you go through Oslo first... and this will take a pretty long time too since Norway is a large country.

I got into Oslo from Stockholm on the train and from there got the train to Bergen. I had a 2 hour wait in Oslo so I went over to the Opera House (since it's just outside the central station) and stood on the roof. It's a cool looking building on the inside too.

The Olso-Bergen line is one of the most beautiful train journies in the world and some people buy tickets just to look out of the window. It's about 6hrs 30mins and you go through forests, fjords, permanent snow and glaciers - even in the middle of summer when I went, it's really incredible. I also got the train back to Oslo from Bergen but on the way back it was a night train since it made travelling quicker (since I had to get another train in Oslo, and then another train in Gothenburg to get to Copenhagen), plus I'd already seen outside so why not sleep through it?

I was in Bergen for 2 nights/3 days. I stayed at the Intermission Hostel which was both the cheapest option in Bergen, and also the nicest/best rated hostel. It's conveniently located right next to the train station.

When in Bergen you have to go up the Fløibanen to the top of Fløyen. The view was incredible (yeah that's me near the top right on the edge.. the picture doesn't do it justice as to how high up and close to the edge I was... and if I fell off I totally would have died. But I got a sick profile pic for Facebook so I don't care :biggrin:), definitely one of the best moments on my trip. I didn't hike as I didn't have the equipment but people also staying at Intermission hiked both Fløyen and Ulriken and said it was amazing. I think they also camped overnight on one of the mountains. I did decide to walk down though as it was a lot easier - got to see a little bit of nature too.

There was a stall on the fishmarket that was selling reindeer burgers for 40kr which were absolutely delicious, I'd highly suggest getting one if you're a meat eater. Also if you linger around any of the stalls long enough and hint at wanting to try some of the food you'll get some! Just promise the people behind the stalls you'll come back later.... although obviously you don't have to go back. :wink: There was also a cool little restaurant called Fish Me that had some great food.

Next to the market is Bryggen with all of the old wooden buildings and funky shops. Definitely worth looking around and getting a load of good pictures.

Definitely an expensive country though, no doubt about that. My ex and I had 1500kr for 2/3 days (not including accommodation and transport) and it didn't get us very far. We weren't exactly strapped for cash, but you'll see your money go a lot further in other countries, even the other stereotypically expensive Scandi countries mentioned earlier!

I'm by no means an expert - but if you have any questions about Bergen I'll happily do my best to answer them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest