The Student Room Group

Will a law firm consider me?

Hi everyone,

I'm in my penultimate year at Nottingham University studying Ancient History and History. Going into my final year I am predicted to gain a first class degree.
I have always wanted to become a solicitor, preferably for a Silver Circle law firm.

My main worry now is my A-Levels.
I achieved A (English Literature), B (History) and B (Theology). I was 3 UMS marks away from an A in History. I had mitigating circumstances as my grandfather died a week before my exams started, and Nottingham let me in despite the fact I didn't meet their offer.

Work experience wise, I did two weeks at Freshfields in 2010 and I am going back there again in September, and I am also taking part in some training courses with the police, to see the law from a very different perspective, as well as work shadowing at the charity, MENCAP.

I'm worried that when I apply for VAC schemes and training contracts they'll see my A-Levels and won't want to look any further.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you,
A.
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Your a-levels won't be an issue for some firms, given your undergraduate degree grades, you have mitigating circumstances and the fact you have Freshfields on your CV. Try open days/workshops to show you are proactive in applying for your own legal work experience, but apart from that if your motivation is in the right place, I can't see you having many issues in applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice!
I agree with the previous reply. It's your undergraduate degree (and your vocational qualification) that will really count, when it comes to applying for jobs. Relevant work experience is also very important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending