The Student Room Group

Could a white noise machine be considered a reasonable exam adjustment?

I have a DSA needs assessment soon for my ADHD Combined type and dyslexia. I was wondering if anyone has heard of white noise or constant machine apps being considered a reasonable exam adjustment? I have found that constant noise helps me not get distracted by background noises and has helped significantly with my sleep and also helps me concentrate when reading.

I have previously been given a separate room and a prompter to help with my concentration in my GCSE's and A levels but even things in small rooms such as the invigilator reading the test paper or birds outside can distract me.

I can see why it would not be allowed and it is a bit of an unusual request but has anyone heard of others getting it or if it would be possible?
Original post by student2312
I have a DSA needs assessment soon for my ADHD Combined type and dyslexia. I was wondering if anyone has heard of white noise or constant machine apps being considered a reasonable exam adjustment? I have found that constant noise helps me not get distracted by background noises and has helped significantly with my sleep and also helps me concentrate when reading.

I have previously been given a separate room and a prompter to help with my concentration in my GCSE's and A levels but even things in small rooms such as the invigilator reading the test paper or birds outside can distract me.

I can see why it would not be allowed and it is a bit of an unusual request but has anyone heard of others getting it or if it would be possible?

I ve never heard of that possibility before, I guess the uni would have to be sure that they themselves provided the white noise machine if they allowed it. Oh and your needs assessor can't help with exam adjustments you have to take it up with the uni itself really.

I automatically get a PC room for exams which never have anything too distracting in them ( no windows or nothing) although I have purely dyslexia and dyspraxia so concentration although one small issue isn't too bad. Make sure you ask get rest breaks for your exams at least, my uni allows me to ask for them whenever I want to use them in exams.
You will need to discuss this with your uni. It's not something I've heard of being used before in exams.
Reply 3
I don't see why they wouldn't consider this- after all if it helps. You may have to provide the machine/ app. I've often recommended a separate room for students with hypersensitivity only to find the invigilator takes a ticking clock into the room!
Reply 4
Original post by NJones
I don't see why they wouldn't consider this- after all if it helps. You may have to provide the machine/ app. I've often recommended a separate room for students with hypersensitivity only to find the invigilator takes a ticking clock into the room!

I have that problem. (Having a ticking clock in a room, it really is too loud) do you have any thing to suggest if it happens in exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NJones

Original post by dipka
I have that problem. (Having a ticking clock in a room, it really is too loud) do you have any thing to suggest if it happens in exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had the same issue, I've also had an invigilator who tapped their pen on the table incessantly and a few where I managed to get distracted by the book they were reading, I would read the title and start imagining what the story was about, great activity for the imagination but not for exams :colondollar:

At home the white noise App really helps me with background noise when I'm studying or trying to sleep but I'm not sure how willing a university would be to allow that, and I could fully understand if they didn't allow it as it is an unusual request
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Someone at my college listens to classical music in his exams, so I can't see why not

Posted from TSR Mobile

At home the white noise App really helps me with background noise when I'm studying or trying to sleep but I'm not sure how willing a university would be to allow that, and I could fully understand if they didn't allow it as it is an unusual request

It is unusual. But it is also a reasonable adjustment. You may have to provide evidence as to how / why it would benefit you.

The ticking clock is a problem for me too. As is people walking around. I had extra time in my GCSE Science exams (this was before I had hearing issues) and was put in a room with people who didn't have extra time. So whilst I was still working, they were getting ready to go. How off putting.
Reply 8
I was wondering if anyone has heard of white noise or constant machine apps being considered a reasonable exam adjustment?

That sounds like the most annoying thing ever.
Original post by OU Student

The ticking clock is a problem for me too. As is people walking around. I had extra time in my GCSE Science exams (this was before I had hearing issues) and was put in a room with people who didn't have extra time. So whilst I was still working, they were getting ready to go. How off putting.

Had the exact same problem with exams in my school, once when i had a lot of anxiety with family stress before an exam they finally gave me a seperate room, wished i had had one all along from that day.

Quick Reply

Latest