The Student Room Group

Morrisons Dilemma

Hello :smile:

Okay, so all summer I have been applying for jobs while I am home from University and have heard nothing back. I know this is probably due to my lack of experience, but I just want something to put on my CV. After hearing nothing back from the many places I applied, I presumed that maybe this summer it wasn't going to work out. However there is the problem with my family. Every year my whole family go on holiday for two weeks, and they insisted that this year i come, despite the fact that they also insist I should get a summer job. :K:
In the last few days I have heard back from the supermarket Morrisons calling me in for an interview, yet the family holiday that I have to go on is in two weeks. I mentioned this to my parents, unsure of what I should do and they encouraged me to go on the interview job, when I mentioned the holiday, they said if I get it, I can work for a week, go away then come back for two weeks before I go off to University again. I find this really unrealistic though, it doesn't exactly show on my CV that I am a reliable person.

Anyway, if I were to get the job, I would probably spend most of my time there training and not complete any actual employment. Not to mention getting a job, then immediately leaving before settling in would be horrible. I don't have much self esteem and have never worked before so it just sounds awful.
I mentioned in my Morrisons application the holiday dates as my parents asked, but I'm not entirely sure Morrisons know that I go to university outside of my hometown, so they probably think they are going to employ me whilst at University. When I brought this up to my parents once more, I was told that I could transfer near my university. But I can hardly go to my interview asking for a transfer without actually having the job. Plus, I struggle with academic work a little, the only way I have done well this year is because I dedicated myself to studying. Second year counts at University, and I don't want to forfeit my grades at university.
I can't moan too much to my parents because they will think I'm lazy and do not want employment, but this is not what I am saying; I'm saying if this offer had come earlier, then of course I would be up for it. But because its so close to the holiday I have no way of getting out of, it makes no sense. Just makes me look like an idiot. But then also saying this to them makes me look ungrateful for the holiday! Ugh I can't win.
So I don't know whether to mention I go to another university in my interview, them look at me like why on earth did you apply, or not mention it and further my idiocy by leaving two weeks after I get back to go to University.

Haha I'm hoping that this all puts them off employing me to be honest, would be easier than fighting with my parents on this! If I were them, this would put me off employing me anyway. :laugh: My parents want the best of both worlds but I don't think its possible.

I dont know how to go this interview, knowing darn well I probably cant do the job. I'll look like a right knob :laugh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Best and honest advice is to phone up and explain the situation. This way they'll let you know if you will be wasting your time and the interviewers time.

Also means that if it is deemed a waste of time then it'll allow someone who is desperate for a job.

Everyone else here will just tell you not to mention anything however that's just **** advice considering there's other people that could do with the job,
Reply 2
Original post by louiseee153

So I don't know whether to mention I go to another university in my interview, them look at me like why on earth did you apply, or not mention it and further my idiocy by leaving two weeks after I get back to go to University.

It's a possibility that they don't know your University is outside of your hometown. I was looking for a job for summer and had an interview with Sainsbury's last year around April and all was going well until she asked about what I was currently doing (university) in which I told her where I went and when she found out it was in a different city she asked how I would plan to work when I had to go back that September. Seeing as it was a weekend job, I said I sometimes travel back home for Church commitments but I don't think she was convinced lol. it just wasn't realistic enough. If it's a permanent job, they're recruiting in the hopes that you will stay there for at least a year.

I mean, I don't work for Morrison's and yes a transfer could be a possible but most companies have a probationary period that you have to pass so being transferred after about 3 weeks of employment is quite unlikely.

But good luck if you do decide to go to the interview :smile:
Reply 3
I have a relative who works there, who said to my parents about a transfer because that's what she did when she was a student, but the thing is, she worked there for a while before transferring. Like you said, you would think that I would have to work there for certain amount of time? Just seems really strange.

I've tried to bring this up to my parents but they keep saying 'oh just try the interview' but like you said, if they don't know that I go to university in another city they might be like 'what? How do you plan on working here?' Ugh. I really don't want to go to this interview but I feel like I have to, I don't know how to get out of it :dontknow: Just feel like its going to be embarrassing turning up like heyyy, employ me for three weeks! How on earth do you sell yourself for that :laugh:
(edited 8 years ago)
If you want to have a shot at working for Morrisons at your Uni town don't take the job or they will never rehire you.
Reply 5
Original post by SonicOfPron
Best and honest advice is to phone up and explain the situation. This way they'll let you know if you will be wasting your time and the interviewers time.

Also means that if it is deemed a waste of time then it'll allow someone who is desperate for a job.

Everyone else here will just tell you not to mention anything however that's just **** advice considering there's other people that could do with the job,

Yeah? Okay I'll ring up and explain and see what they say, Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending