The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kezkel
Hi im doing an access course this year and would love to go to york next year and study psychology but did really badly on my GCSE's will that stop me?

Hi there,

Psychology do require GCSE Maths grade B. However, if you don't have that grade then other qualifications/circumstances can be taken in to consideration so it would certainly be worth contacting the Admissions Tutor for Psychology, Dr Rob Jenkins, for some further advice.

You can contact Rob on [email protected] or (0) 1904 32 3144.

I hope that helps,

Helen
University of York
York
Hi I am currently about to start A2 psychology and I received a B at AS because my unit one grade was a C - I was wondering how the university feels about resits - I'll only be resitting one exam next year :smile:
Also would I be put at a disadvantage because I don't do a second science at A level?
Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey I'm wondering whether it's worth me applying with my grades, I just finished A2 I'm applying a year late (mucked up AS)

I got AAA in Politics, History and Economics, and brought up my maths AS from a D to an A

I'm looking to apply for PPE who apparently want A*AA, but I figured as I've demonstrated good improvement, come from a state school and have already achieved my A2s (so no dodgy predictions) it may worth a try?

I rang them up and they said go for it I've got a chance, but I wondered whether anybody already at the Uni has seen people get in with below the required grades, or if they were just being optimists?

Thanks guys.
Reply 23
Hi,
I'm applying to do history for 2016 which has the entry requirements AAA but if I were to achieve A*AB, that would be ok?
Hi there,

I have confirmed grades of ABB at A-level looking to apply for Politics and International Relations (AAB). Is it worth applying though I am one grade below the asking grades?

Thank you.
Reply 25
I would love to study music and have 2A*s and (history and biology) and 2Bs at A'level (geography and music). I of course understand that your requirement is for an A in music and was wondering if there is anyway round this. I have grade 5 theory, a distinction in grade 8 flute and will be sitting for my LTCL diploma in December. I have also played with the Junior Symphony Orchestra of Sri Lanka (first flute), the Colombo Wind Orchestra, and the Symphony Orchestra of Sri Lanka and have lots of other performance experience, etc. I am willing to sit grade 8 theory if you think this will be neccessary to combat my B in music but the exams are not held till next May... Do you have any ideas on how I should proceed?
Original post by kinsman1
Hi,
I'm applying to do history for 2016 which has the entry requirements AAA but if I were to achieve A*AB, that would be ok?

Hi there,

Yes that would be fine, as long as the A or A* was in History.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Helen
Hello, I'd like to apply for Genetics. At AS level, I have got A in Chemistry, A in Maths, C in Biology and B in Sociology. I dropped Sociology and will resit Biology. What are my chances?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by Elizabeth_124
Hello, I'd like to apply for Genetics. At AS level, I have got A in Chemistry, A in Maths, C in Biology and B in Sociology. I dropped Sociology and will resit Biology. What are my chances?
Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in York. If you resit AS Biology we would consider your application for the Genetics programme.

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions please get in touch.

Thanks,

Helen
Original post by AlexClarke
Hi there,

I have confirmed grades of ABB at A-level looking to apply for Politics and International Relations (AAB). Is it worth applying though I am one grade below the asking grades?

Thank you.

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest in York. We consider all applications carefully on an individual basis. Grades are important, clearly, but we would also look for a good reference and clear interest in Politics. I would encourage you to apply.

Please note, General Studies is not usually part of our offer at Politics. That is, we would look for three good A-levels apart from GS.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks,

Helen
Hi! I just finished an Access Course to Bioscience, I would love to apply for your 2016 Biomedical Science 4 year programme. I only have one qualification and that's the access diploma. Is there anything else I need to have in order to gain higher chances of getting an unconditional offer? I'm a home-based student, but I am not originally from the UK. Do I need to take IELTS or GCSE English? And lastly, do mature students have to do interview as part of the application process? Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I got ABBD in my AS results and would like to apply for English at York for 2016 entry. I am dropping History, which was the subject I got a D in, and am continuing to A2 with English, Maths and Psychology. With the entry requirements as AAA, do you think it's worth applying?
Thank you
Original post by prinsesaaaaaa
Hi! I just finished an Access Course to , I would love to apply for your 2016 Biomedical Science 4 year programme. I only have one qualification and that's the access diploma. Is there anything else I need to have in order to gain higher chances of getting an unconditional offer? I'm a home-based student, but I am not originally from the UK. Do I need to take IELTS or GCSE English? And lastly, do mature students have to do interview as part of the application process? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in studying at York, the best thing to do to find out about entry requirements with your Access Diploma and to find out if you will be asked to interview, is to email Monica Bandeira (admissions officer in Biology) [email protected] or call on 01904 328548.

For more information on language requirements head to www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/entry/english-language/, and if you can't quite find what you're looking for email [email protected].

I hope that helps if you have any more queries or questions don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Thanks,

George
Original post by megan.gurr
Hi,
I got ABBD in my AS results and would like to apply for English at York for 2016 entry. I am dropping History, which was the subject I got a D in, and am continuing to A2 with English, Maths and Psychology. With the entry requirements as AAA, do you think it's worth applying?
Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for you interest in studying at York, we base our offer more on predicted A Level grades than on AS grades. We would be looking for predicted grades of AAA (Particularly with an A in English) which seems attainable with ABB at AS.We also look at personal statements and references before deciding whether or not to make an offer.

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions or queries please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks,

George
Hi I don't want to sound rude but I posted on this forum a few days ago and still remain unanswered :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by University of York
Hello!

Are you thinking of applying to York for 2016 entry? Here you ask meet and chat to other applicants and ask us questions about the application process, studying or living in York, and uni life in general.

You can also meet other 2016 applicants through our dedicated Facebook Page and ask us questions through Twitter.

Hello :smile:

I'm interested in applying to York for BA Social and Political Sciences. I got ABC in my AS Levels (7 UMS total off AAB). Hoping for an ABB offer! I am, however a little concerned because this was a repeat of year 12 (different subjects though) and I don't know whether this will have an impact on my application? I'm really hoping I like York because I'm really struggling to find a uni that suits my needs. (I have Aspergers and am trying to find a uni with single-sex/quiet accommodation)
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Hi I don't want to sound rude but I posted on this forum a few days ago and still remain unanswered :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Sorry about that! I will find out for you and get back with an answer as soon as possible.

Thanks,

George
Original post by emiloujess
Hello :smile:

I'm interested in applying to York for BA Social and Political Sciences. I got ABC in my AS Levels (7 UMS total off AAB). Hoping for an ABB offer! I am, however a little concerned because this was a repeat of year 12 (different subjects though) and I don't know whether this will have an impact on my application? I'm really hoping I like York because I'm really struggling to find a uni that suits my needs. (I have Aspergers and am trying to find a uni with single-sex/quiet accommodation)

Hi,

Thanks for you interest in studying at York. We base offers are made on the basis of a mixture of AS and predicted grades, however I wouldn't worry too much about it being a repeated year 12, and with your grades being close, AAB definitely seems achievable, I'd recommend you get in contact with Gareth Millington, the admissions tutor for the School of Social and Political Sciences, on [email protected], or 01904 323058.

If you are looking for single sex and/or quiet accommodation you can use our online accommodation application system to let us when it comes round to applying for a room, for more info on accommodation and for contact details for the accommodation office you'd be best to visit www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate/things-to-consider/.

Hope that helps, if you've got any more queries, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks,

George
Reply 38
Hi,
Im intrested in applying to york,for computer science/ Computer science with ai. I got 2a's in maths and ict and 2d's in further maths and economics, i have dropped further maths. As i have high ums in both maths and ict i have an a star prediction for both, and for economics i have not been informed about my prediction. I am going to retake as economics modules. Do you think i can apply to york even with the poor grades i have achieved at as?
Hi I am currently about to start A2 psychology and I received a B at AS because my unit one grade was a C - I was wondering how the university feels about resits - I'll only be resitting one exam next year :smile:
Also would I be put at a disadvantage because I don't do a second science at A level?
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Apologies that we haven't got back to you with an answer, I am in contact with the Admissions Tutor and will get back to you asap.

Thanks for your patience,

Helen

Quick Reply

Latest