The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cal-lum
Applying for Social and Political Sciences - Might see you in some Pol module lectures? :smile:

Maybe, if we're lucky! I've heard that York respond to applications pretty quickly so I'm refreshing Track every few minutes :tongue:
University of York
York
Original post by antigone-
Maybe, if we're lucky! I've heard that York respond to applications pretty quickly so I'm refreshing Track every few minutes :tongue:

I've got a remark coming through, and school have to process everything too so it may take a little while longer for me! Best of luck though, keep me updated!
Original post by Cal-lum
I've got a remark coming through, and school have to process everything too so it may take a little while longer for me! Best of luck though, keep me updated!

Will do, good luck with everything! :biggrin:
Original post by mint_chocolate
Hi! Im a newbie on TSR! Im now doing A2 and Im planning to apply for York Law School. My predicted grades are AAB and do you think my grades are good enough to enter York?
Many thanks!!:smile:

Hi there,

We are looking for predicted (or actual) grades that suggest that an applicant is capable of meeting our standard offer (AAA/A*AB/A*A*C). We can never guarantee things as we have to consider the applications received each year, however, it is extremely likely that predictions of AAB would be sufficient for us offer an interview.

Standard Offers following successful interview would be as above. The style of learning at York Law School means that we need students committed and suited to the PBL approach. So, if applicants make us their ‘firm’ choice, we try to be as flexible as possible in finding places for those who do not meet their offer at the confirmation stage (instead of looking for clearing applicants with higher grades).

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Dr Laurence Etherington
Admissions Tutor for York Law School
Original post by antigone-
I haven't seen any threads for this year's set of York applicants so I thought I would make one!

I have applied for History and Politics joint honours, anybody else? :smile:

Original post by Cal-lum
Applying for Social and Political Sciences - Might see you in some Pol module lectures? :smile:

Hi there,

We've started a thread for 2016 applicants here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3457851

If you have any questions about the application process, the programmes/courses or York life in general please get in touch.

We also have a Facebook Page especially for 2016 applicants: https://www.facebook.com/UoYApplicants2016

Thanks,

Helen
Reply 65
I was wondering what you thought of the IB as a qualification, what is the average mark required for law and/or modern languages? Also, do you have a foundation year programme for international students?
Applying for Social and Political Sciences :smile: very excited, in love with the course and the uni! Predicted Dst*A*A.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PJDK
I was wondering what you thought of the IB as a qualification, what is the average mark required for law and/or modern languages? Also, do you have a foundation year programme for international students?

Hi there,

Do you know which programme you would like to study?

Thanks,

Helen
Hi,

I have applied for the undergraduate Masters of Psychology and I was wondering if applicants are interviewed?
Reply 69
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Thanks,

Helen

I don't know yet - probably modern languages or teaching.
Reply 70
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Thanks,

Helen

Modern languages or philosophy.
Hi,

I started my first year at the University of York in 2012, however due to personal issues (anxiety and depression) didn't perform well on my exams, and left the University after my first year. I'm currently doing an apprenticeship, but am debating reapplying for university, either for 2016 or 2017 entry. This would be for a different course than the one I started in 2012.

My question is would I be able to reapply to the University of York, or would the fact I have previously left the university mean they couldn't offer me a place? (I know I may not get an offer anyway, but would like to know if it's a possibility before I apply)

Thanks.
Original post by PJDK
Modern languages or philosophy.

Hi there,

The exact IB requirement depends on the programme you would like to study but for one of our Modern Language degrees the typical requirement is 34 points.

We do also have international foundation pathways and you can find out more details here: http://www.york.ac.uk/study/international/degree-preparation/

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Helen
Original post by Cal-lum
Applying for Social and Political Sciences :smile: very excited, in love with the course and the uni! Predicted Dst*A*A.

That's great to hear; if you have any questions about the programme please do get in touch with the School Coordinator Auriel Hamilton on [email protected]

Thanks,

Helen
Original post by Harriechica
Hi,

I have applied for the undergraduate Masters of Psychology and I was wondering if applicants are interviewed?

Hi there,

No, the Department of Psychology doesn't interview applicants.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Helen
Thank you very much for your reply:smile: May I know whether you will look at my Chinese A level results if i am a native speaker?
Many thanks!
Hello,
I am applying to York to study English and History and I was just wondering how strict you are on GCSE's? I passed all of them decently however I don't have a string of A*'s.
Im certain that york is my first choice uni and so im starting to look at the colleges, Ive applied to study psychology so I looked at accomodation at James college as it would be quick and easy for me to get to my lectures, but i would much prefer to be in the modern accomodation like Langwith, but its much further from where my lectures would be, i googled how long the walk from hes east to hes west is and it said 30 minutes... I think on the open day a bus was mentioned from hes west to hes east; is this is regular bus service?
Original post by shinigamieyes
Hello,
I am applying to York to study English and History and I was just wondering how strict you are on GCSE's? I passed all of them decently however I don't have a string of A*'s.

Hi there,

We do not have any specific GCSE requirements for either English and History, however we do take these into consideration with the application as a whole and would typically be looking for good grades overall.

With English being a competitive department we would recommended emailing them directly for some further advice. You can contact the Admissions Tutor for English, Sheila Cosgrove, on [email protected]

I hope this helps,

Helen
Original post by Harriechica
Im certain that york is my first choice uni and so im starting to look at the colleges, Ive applied to study psychology so I looked at accomodation at James college as it would be quick and easy for me to get to my lectures, but i would much prefer to be in the modern accomodation like Langwith, but its much further from where my lectures would be, i googled how long the walk from hes east to hes west is and it said 30 minutes... I think on the open day a bus was mentioned from hes west to hes east; is this is regular bus service?

Hi there,

Yes, we have several bus services which travel between the Heslington West and Heslington East campuses at regular intervals - these are free services:

UoY66 service - starts from Heslington East running through campus and stopping at the railway station and in the city centre. (travel between campuses is free)

Ub1 service - dedicated free shuttle bus service for travel around the Heslington campus during term-time.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Helen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending