The Student Room Group

Is it really that difficult for obese people to attain healthy body weight?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/obese-men-have-just-a-1-in-210-chance-of-attaining-a-healthy-body-weight-10394887.html

Obese men have only a one in 210 chance of attaining a healthy body weight, according to new research that suggests diet and exercise strategies are not effective in combating the obesity epidemic.

While obese women stand a slightly higher one in 124 chance, experts from King’s College London, who conducted the study, said that existing weight loss programmes in the UK were “not working for the vast majority of obese patients”.

The findings are based on the electronic health records of 279,000 people. People who were categorised as severely obese were even less likely to attain healthy weight with a 1 in 1,290 chance among men and a one in 677 chance among women.

As someone who has always remained at healthy weight (just about) I might not understand the struggle so much, however I did manage to lose 1.5 stone or 10% of my weight through successful dieting and exercising in conjunction with the app MyFitnessPal which goes agains't the article saying that it's difficult to lose more than 5%.

A family member who was technically obese saw my success and did the same, losing over 15% and counting of their weight so far.

I feel like losing weight is something that has to come from within, it is like a switch flips inside and you become concious and careful about what you eat and do, and it definitely helps.

However so many do struggle with losing weight, but is it because it is difficult, people don't diet properly, or is it because they don't care or don't think they need to lose weight?

Not that they should care - its a persons right to be whoever they want to be. It'd also be cool to hear any good tips that helped you lose weight.
i was border line obese about 4 months ago and have lost nearly 2 stone. I saved up and bought a treadmill and rowing machine which came to about £700 overall but i was helped out a bit as bday presents. After the first two weeks or so if I'm honest I've found it really easy. Apparently i can eat 2500 calories a day being 6"2 and was around 16 stone but eating 1500 seems like loads to me. The reason i put the weight on is being basically sedative and beer anyway and i have cut that down now. Anyway started off not even being able to run for a minute or 2 and now i can do a 5k in around 28 mins without stopping which isn't that quick bit its a hell of a lot Bette than to start with. I think if you really want to lose weight its pretty simple and easy. Eat more protein eat less carbs and better carbs i.e brown bread and brown pasta and don't take any notice about fat content as its sugar and carbs that make you put on weight and not fat. Couple that on top of a routine of walking and running Monday to Friday for 30-60 mins untill you can run without stopping and you are there. I am probably looking to lose another half a stone to a stone though.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest