The Student Room Group

Car door won't open

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mould in a car?
Some dirty bitch has been eating food in it!
Original post by liquity

I haven't even had one lesson yet because I'm not 17 until next month but I'm considering going on once of those intensive courses because the sooner I can drive the better!

Aaah, I see! Very brave.
Do you work?
Reply 22
Original post by Emily.97
Aaah, I see! Very brave.
Do you work?

Yeah I'm a waitress at a pub in my village, but driving means I'd get to work later because I have to rely on my mum to come and get me
Reply 23
Original post by JC.
Mould in a car?

lol it's just moisture
Original post by JC.
Mould in a car?

Take a look at any car in a scrap yard that's been sitting for a while and the steering wheel and gear stick will almost always be mouldy. Seats follow fairly soon after that. It's just the stuff that lives on our skin and flourishes if allowed to roam free in a damp, warm car interior.

OP, the front tyres will need replacing if they've been flat for any period of time. Being flat causes damage to the rubber and they will probably blow out on you if you attempt to use them. Even if the tread is good and they look fine, they're most likely not.

As for the driver's door, the seal may have stuck to the door all the way around the edge. This happens if you leave doors closed for a while. If you give it a really good tug it should come unstuck. If it's the latch itself, which is unlikely but possible, then you may need to pull the door card off from the inside to get access to the latch and prod it in the right place to get it to release. This may mean removal of the driver's seat to get proper access, and in some cars the door cards can't be removed at all with the door closed which would mean destroying the door card and finding a replacement at a scrap yard. You're best off getting someone who knows their way around a set of spanners to give you a hand if you can't get it open with brute force alone.
Reply 25
Original post by Nuffles
Take a look at any car in a scrap yard that's been sitting for a while and the steering wheel and gear stick will almost always be mouldy. Seats follow fairly soon after that. It's just the stuff that lives on our skin and flourishes if allowed to roam free in a damp, warm car interior.

Well there was certainly never been anything like that when I've parked a car up on a long term basis...
Original post by JC.
Well there was certainly never been anything like that when I've parked a car up on a long term basis...

Classic cars tend to use materials that don't harbour mould so easily. Hard plastic, metal, and vinyl don't attract mould in the same way that the foamy rubber and cloth used on modern cars do. Also if you open the doors and start them up every once in a while to give them a chance to air out then that'll massively reduce the chances of mould building up.
How did you unlock it? If you just used the central locking remote I'd suggest trying the key in the doors that won't open. Don't force the key though!

This has reminded me that my Pug is probably mouldering away, if it's even visible anymore. Might have to ask my dad to get the dehummer out...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Nuffles
Classic cars tend to use materials that don't harbour mould so easily. Hard plastic, metal, and vinyl don't attract mould in the same way that the foamy rubber and cloth used on modern cars do. Also if you open the doors and start them up every once in a while to give them a chance to air out then that'll massively reduce the chances of mould building up.

Uhhuh.... The 70's stuff I focus on has plenty of cloth and foam. But in any event, the stuff I've long term stored was 90's tin so no different to the OP's car.

Dirty animals eating crisps and chocolate in their cars is where I'd place my bet.
If all else fails you can "jimmy the lock" which involves using a coat hanger and a bit of fettling. Google it and you'll find how to guides.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending