The Student Room Group

As biology biochemistry

Is anyone taking OCR Biology with the unit "Biology Foundation"
has anyone got any tips on how to revise for the molecular structures for the biochemistry sections. i am finding the revision quite hard to remember, especially when the exam board tends to set essay questions.
any tips wanted as there is an exam on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
:smile:
The exam is on Tuesday :tongue: . When i first started AS Biology i couldn't get my head around that section at all. We did that one first so i was like "woahh, this is hard" but i found that just by going over and over it it sunk in. I'm so glad i did Foundation module in January and did well on it! Are you doing HH&D and Transport as well?
Reply 2
Just write out the structures over and over again. Then test yourself on them. I assume you're referring to amino acids, phospholioids?
Reply 3
Takes the piss a bit that when we took in Jan there was no bio chem in it.
Basically learn the diff bonds glycosidic etc
Learn the functions
Learn examples of each one
Learn about Hb
I bet you actually know alot already and are stressed a bit.
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO TEST FOR EACH ONE (INC REDUCING AND NON REDUCING) thats always been a favourite
And reactions eg condensation hydrolysis and show how to 2 mono 's make a di
Learn every single thing to do with cellulose.
XYTER
Takes the piss a bit that when we took in Jan there was no

I know, and i worked my arse off learning that section!
Reply 5
Yer same I thought i did really well on that paper but obviously not eh. Apprently the mark scheme was lame :smile:
XYTER
Yer same I thought i did really well on that paper but obviously not eh. Apprently the mark scheme was lame :smile:

Really? What made it 'lame'?
Reply 7
this may help if you're really stuck http://www.biologymad.com/but if you've got the OCR Cambrdige Biology 1 book- use that- it tells you everything.

just keep reading and looking at diagrams until it sinks in.
hihihihi
this may help if you're really stuck http://www.biologymad.com/but if you've got the OCR Cambrdige Biology 1 book- use that- it tells you everything.

just keep reading and looking at diagrams until it sinks in.

But a few things off the old spec are in there that you don't need to know and a few things from the updated spec since 2002 are missing :redface:
Reply 9
The bio 1 book (2003 copy) is basically all I learn through, so if it isn't in that, I won't know about it (bar some obscure plant bits which were taught to us to make me loath plants even more)

Is there anything not in the book which we need?
LS.
The bio 1 book (2003 copy) is basically all I learn through, so if it isn't in that, I won't know about it (bar some obscure plant bits which were taught to us to make me loath plants even more)

Is there anything not in the book which we need?

My copy is 2000. Grr. I HATE plants too!
Reply 11
thanks for all the tips!!!!

the HH&D and transport papers are ok!!!!
the jan exam was ok, however, i didnt do as well as i could have...
i just want to get the exam on tuesday over...
Reply 12
I'm doing all 3 exams on tuesday and i did Foundation and Human health and disease in Jan. I just want it all to be over. I have my A2's to do aswell!
Reply 13
Sarky
I'm doing all 3 exams on tuesday and i did Foundation and Human health and disease in Jan. I just want it all to be over. I have my A2's to do aswell!

Good luck to you Sarky! :smile:

I'm leaving my revision until Sunday - it gives me two days - since I've already been revising. I'm glad I'm not doing foundation again....I may end up doing it again next January if I don't hit the grades I want though.
Reply 14
what are generally the grade boundaries for OCR Biology?
For an A, B or C?
With Foundation, Transport, Human H&D
Reply 15
generally 80% for A
70% B
60% C
50% D etc...

means in the H & D and Foundation u need
48/60 A
42/60 B
36/60 C
etc...

and transport:
36/45 A
32/45 B
27/45 C
23/45 D etc

i'm doing all 3 mods tommorrow...
retaking foundation
and H & D and transport 1st time...
this is the only chance i get if i muck it up.. then i can 4get the uni course i wanna do... cuz i have to do this as level alongside my a levels.. blah!
Reply 16
isn't human health& D out of 60? like foundation?
Reply 17
yeah it is sorry... the older papers used to be out of 90... lemme go change it

Latest

Trending

Trending