The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Biomed 2016 entry

Currently doing a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in applied science, my predicted is grade MMM (the entry requirements is DDD) so I decided to do next year's units in the summer (well at least practice them). I can change my predicted to DDM but that's still a grade off. On top of that, getting a grade DDD is gonna be extremely difficult, considering I have to get a distinction in everything next year! I feel confident etc, but I was wondering about leniency of the entry requirements.

On top of that, I'm doing 1 or 2 a levels (AS and A2) exams and coursework all in next year too. I already know the stuff and revise it like mad, but since I fell out of my first year, I wanted to make up for it. Not to mention, I may have some work experience at a hospital in pathology/microbiology labs.

Do I stand a good chance?
Reply 1
You should just focus on your applied science course since getting a good grade in you're A level subjects won't make a difference and they won't be included in your offer.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Well, considering I failed badly during my first year, wouldn't that look real bad?
Reply 3
Thanks for getting back! Well, considering I failed badly during my first year, wouldn't that look really bad? I do want to show I am capable of exams etc :/
Reply 4
Whoops sent a double post said it didn't send the first time :l
Reply 5
Original post by TheSalman
Well, considering I failed badly during my first year, wouldn't that look real bad?

What did you fail first year? If you got U grades you don't have to include them on your UCAS form and as long as your doing well in your BTEC you should be fine don't worry.
Reply 6
Physics - U
Biology - E
PE - E

I feel seriously embarrassed, obviously I was in a seriously bad circumstance back then hence I did bad... I didn't think if I applied to uni, especially places like Surrey, they'd even think of considering me looking at my AS grades...

Plus isn't there an average amount of UCAS points applicants have? Like the entry requirements are DDD which is 360, but wouldn't it be better to have more?
Reply 7
Physics - U
Biology - E
PE - E

I feel seriously embarrassed, obviously I was in a seriously bad circumstance back then hence I did bad... I didn't think if I applied to uni, especially places like Surrey, they'd even think of considering me looking at my AS grades...

Plus isn't there an average amount of UCAS points applicants have? Like the entry requirements are DDD which is 360, but wouldn't it be better to have more?

Surrey and most universities in general don't go by UCAS points its only lower universities like south bank for example. You shouldn't be embarrassed about your grades whats important is that you didn't give up. Just make sure your personal statement is good. To be honest retaking those exams is literally a waste of time, because as long as you get DDD your in and you never have to look back at those AS grades, focus on your BTEC.
Reply 8
Alright :smile: I understand... thanks for that! :biggrin: any tips for making my personal statement good? I keep looking at 5 star ones and try getting my inspiration there, but I was told that big and sophisticated words weren't advised :s
Reply 9
Alright :smile: I understand... thanks for that! :biggrin: any tips for making my personal statement good? I keep looking at 5 star ones and try getting my inspiration there, but I was told that big and sophisticated words weren't advised :s

You're welcome :smile:
I quite like this one, but there are many more on TSR
http://www.studential.com/personal-statement-examples/biomedical-science-personal-statement
Good luck!
Reply 10
Btw, in my personal statement, should I mention about my first year i.e. me messing up? Or should I be like, oblivious to it? Jw because I was thinking the uni's would be interested to some extent why I'm a year behind? Unless they're not that big up on it. Cheers btw, you've saved me a tonne of stress! Literally been so worried that I'd have to retake my A levels with my BTEC etc to compensate or something..
Reply 11
Btw, in my personal statement, should I mention about my first year i.e. me messing up? Or should I be like, oblivious to it? Jw because I was thinking the uni's would be interested to some extent why I'm a year behind? Unless they're not that big up on it. Cheers btw, you've saved me a tonne of stress! Literally been so worried that I'd have to retake my A levels with my BTEC etc to compensate or something..

Its cool, and you don't need to mention it at all. If you want them to know just let your referee mention it but even that isn't necessary there are many people in the same situation your not the only one, so its alright just enjoy your holidays for now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending