The Student Room Group

St Andrews or Scholarship Funded York?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Little Toy Gun
No.

what qualifications do you have?
of course you should go to York, its a funded degree and st andrews is a boring village and scotland degrees are a year longer
Reply 22
Take the money, no question.

Moreover, getting a scholarship is always better than a simple degree. It means you attract money. Everybody (employers) loves that.
Reply 23
Original post by TheBatman
i hear many say that Masters in many cases simply 'ticks a box' to indicate you are determined enough to develop yourself to a more advanced level, rather than actually caring much about what you have studied..

This depends very much on what you want to do and where you want to do it. Assuming the courses are similar, or you are looking for some generic type job, then it doesn't make a difference. But for a more specialized job, it certainly can.

One is MA and one is M.Litt.. do you think that matters?

No.

To me you sound like you want to go to St Andrews, if you go to York will you spend the next year wishing you'd paid up to do so, or be happy having taken a second- preference course for the saving?
Reply 24
Original post by driftawaay
of course you should go to York, its a funded degree and st andrews is a boring village and scotland degrees are a year longer

Quite some feat for York then, considering an MLitt is one academic year in length.
I would initially have said St. Andrews because it sounds like you want to go there and it is a lovely (albeit quiet) place. However, £10.000 is a lot of money to turn down. Can you really justify (to yourself) turning down £10.000 in scholarships to go to a university that only has a slightly elevated reputation?
Ultimately, you are the one who needs to make the decision, but you need to be comfortable justifying that decision to yourself. What everyone else thinks is somewhat irrelevant in comparison to that. :smile:
what qualifications do you have?

Probably more than what you have.

Why is that relevant?
If I was you I would go for York. The scholarship is great and would save you so much potentially. Plus St.Andrews vs York isn't like Oxford vs York imo. But I feel like you've made your mind up however
Reply 28
Probably more than what you have.

Why is that relevant?

No need to be testy about it, im just saying what makes your advice qualified to accurately judge?
No need to be testy about it, im just saying what makes your advice qualified to accurately judge?

I'm a graduate and have looked for jobs. Also have employed/recruited people.
Reply 30
I'm a graduate and have looked for jobs. Also have employed/recruited people.

I appreciate any advice, it was a perfectly valid question.. no need for the passive aggressive egotistical bull**** mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending