The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0lut0
I'm going into it after the Summer my head of year described it as the most stressful time in your life.
I heard it's also 8 months.

It's basically the same as year 10, but you have to actually listen in lessons xD And do about double the homework for last three months, other than that it's not stressful at all. It's actually a fun year, way way better than A Levels, and they're pretty chill too :P
GCSEs will probably make you cry at some point (art in particular, but if you're a logical person and didn't choose art then you'll be fine) but aside from that year 11's pretty fun, especially study leave.
Yeah it is only about 8-9 months as after your exams you don't need to come into school anymore. Honestly Year11 really isn't that bad, you'll have lots of mock exams so as long as you revise you should be fine. I personally recommend going to as many in school revision sessions as you can and asking teachers for help with revision, seriously it's so helpful! Me and my friend went to our biology teacher and just went through mark schemes and past paper questions and it helped so much. It won't be too stressful, just make sure you start revising around easter holiday time and do a few hours a day because if you cram it gets so stressfull. But there's loads of good things to look forward to such as prom and leavers day and it's just a good year to appreciate the people around you and make loads of last memories with them :smile:
I'm not English (Northern Irish) so it might not be exactly the same but you will probably find the teachers go a bit quicker trying to get the course finished. There may be extra revision classes and a big emphasis on practice papers and exam technique which is so important to get good marks.
You'll probably go on study leave about end of April start of May which means you won't have to go to school so you can focus fully on revising.
You'll probably also get a lot of advice on careers, uni and a level choices.
Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by 0lut0
I'm going into it after the Summer my head of year described it as the most stressful time in your life.

It's not the most stressful time in your life - what about A-levels, degree, an actual job, marriage, kids... your head of year will probably be correct in saying it's the most stressful time in your life thus far.

It's pretty nasty and I'm so glad it's over but the long summer makes up for it and if you're hanging out with the right people the year feels less painful. Year 11 is 10 months - not 8 months, I've got no idea who told you that.

My advice is start preparing revision material from Y10 lessons from September to Christmas and then start properly revising from March/April time.
Ive just finished year 11 and as long as you stay on top of things you should be fine, I found that I was being pulled by teachers to catch up on certain things which was pretty annoying and stressful but you should be fine if you intend on working hard and being prepared for your exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jamestg
It's not the most stressful time in your life - what about A-levels, degree, an actual job, marriage, kids... your head of year will probably be correct in saying it's the most stressful time in your life thus far.

It's pretty nasty and I'm so glad it's over but the long summer makes up for it and if you're hanging out with the right people the year feels less painful. Year 11 is 10 months - not 8 months, I've got no idea who told you that.

My advice is start preparing revision material from Y10 lessons from September to Christmas and then start properly revising from March/April time.

My head of year said it's 8 months.
I think she is exaggerating.
Man if only I could go back to year 11...
I actually really enjoyed year 11 :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didnt find it half as stressful as we were told before we started. Well, half way through exams i got quite stressed but the rest of the year was okay. I recommend working extra hard on the subjects you are doing the worst in and then after Christmas, evenly revise each subject. Around easter time, start intensive revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eh it's stressful towards the end trying to get all your coursework finished and exam season was very intense but I think it's managable. I'm working under the assumption sixth form is more stressful though haha.
Reply 12
Year 11 was that time in school when you found out that you'd never have to talk to the kids you hated again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coasted through the whole year, put my head down near exam time and I'm more than sure I've done well. This is the beauty of GCSEs, but I'm guessing A Levels are a whole different game. Enjoy year 11 while you can, and no it's not the most stressful time in your life....
Original post by 0lut0

from september to about december it's all fun and games, then after christmas they will give you some mock exams to do. Just stick with it and treat the mocks as if they're the real thing because if you don't you won't take the real thing seriously enough XD Good luck and make the most of it!
Year 11 is easy. You're about to leave school and chav central behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Moonstruck16
Year 11 is easy. You're about to leave school and chav central behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah can't wait but i'm also going to miss school.
Besides i'm planning on staying at the sixth form so yeah.
But then again as someone said KS4 is when all the people that trolled get left behind and exposed.
Original post by 0lut0
Yeah can't wait but i'm also going to miss school.
Besides i'm planning on staying at the sixth form so yeah.
But then again as someone said KS4 is when all the people that trolled get left behind and exposed.

I went to a separate sixth-form. Even if my secondary school had one I wouldn't have gone. Once I moved onto sixth-form I never dreamt of secondary school. What a grim place.
Yeah all the trolls will get pregnant, end up in prison or do nothing with their lives.
Original post by 0lut0

Your head of year makes it sound awful :lol: It's really not that bad :nah:
Original post by 0lut0

I've just finished Year 11 and it was definitely nowhere near as stressful as my Head of Year made it out to be. They hype it up so much... you'll be fine as long as you don't get complacent and lazy! Study leave is actually better than normal work to be honest, especially as my school is 10 minutes from a Subway and Costa :colondollar:

Latest