The Student Room Group

Law firms don't reply-work experience

I've emailed two law firms asking whether they could offer me some work experience at their firm. So far none of them have replied? I sent one yesterday and one last week. Do you think I should take their silence as a no? Or perhaps they're overly busy
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I've emailed two law firms asking whether they could offer me some work experience at their firm. So far none of them have replied? I sent one yesterday and one last week. Do you think I should take their silence as a no? Or perhaps they're overly busy

Law firms are inundated with applications for work experience and for training contracts..

If I were you, I would go round to the firms and ask to speak to whoever does recruitment. Take a CV and look smart. You should say that you are prepared to do anything - within reason - and that you are very keen to have some experience. Also that you are prepared to work even just a couple of hours.

You will more than likely receive a firm no but if you want to do law be prepared for knock back after knock back
Reply 2
Most firms are unlikely to reply

I emailed kpmg for work experience and after forgetting I even sent them a email I got a response 3weeks later. So just wait I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are probably busy, as ignoring your message wouldn't make the firm look good. Some of the firms however don't really like to accept random people, so it would be better to ask someone you know who got connections with firms etc. as it would be much easier to convince them you wouldn't be a nuisance.
If you want some summer-time work experience you should have been enquiring february-march at the latest.

You can't expect to send an email and then wait staring at your inbox wondering why there isn't a reply there the next day.

You should think outside the box and look at medium/large companies in the local area (10 miles with public transport if rural) who all have a legal person working in the office and get in contact with HR and ask them about assisting this person.

Your local government would be good to get in contact with also, as they have lot's of issues to resolve all the time. Something else is that laws have to be put through the house of commons and so maybe there is something you could do there. Look on www.w4mpjobs.org

A charity called lawworks supported by the Law Society, is an example.

I was considering law when I was younger and wrote to the local county court and it took about 6 weeks but they invited me to sit in on a few meetings and one of them was a dispute over planning a house extension. So you might get something in September (before going back to uni, if that's what you doing).

You could always go to the Royal Courts of Justice in London and sit in the viewing galleries and watch the trials going on there. If you don't live there the University of London has accommodation for short-stays in their Halls of residence.
Take it as a no. Most firms don't do work experience. And those that do are over subscribed.

Unless you have contacts within the firm you are going to struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So basically i have no chance :frown:
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Law firms are inundated with applications for work experience and for training contracts..

If I were you, I would go round to the firms and ask to speak to whoever does recruitment. Take a CV and look smart. You should say that you are prepared to do anything - within reason - and that you are very keen to have some experience. Also that you are prepared to work even just a couple of hours.

You will more than likely receive a firm no but if you want to do law be prepared for knock back after knock back

Thanks for your response.
I'll try that :smile:!
So basically i have no chance :frown:

Where are you based?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Where are you based?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coventry
Coventry

There is a Birmingham firm called Shakespeare Martineau which do work experience, you could try there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest