Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Ahahaha, fingers crossed eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, definitely lool.
Original post by Mike_123
Sorry for the **** answers so far.

Based on London (very different to NYC)
Starting salary: BB around 50k, MBB 30-40k (unsure on this, but much lower)
Exit ops: IB definitely - easier to lateral from IB-->MC as opposed to other way round
Work/life: difficult one here - MC less hours (MBB higher than average obviously) around 60-70 hours vs IB crazy hours... BUT MC you're on the road Mon-Thur so not ideal for work/life balance
Prestige: bankers probably edge it but consultants have less bad rep to the layman. to employers, if you've worked at GS/McK they'll like what they see

good answer, exit opps is incorrect. more or less equal, both are probably amongst the most prestigious occupations in the world.
Starting salary?
MBB is usually £40-£45k all in.

For most front office roles it's £50k base and 30%-60% bonus
Salary progression?
Banking progresses much faster and the bonus element becomes a lot more significant.

Consulting still progresses well but the salaries are more comparable to corporate law salaries and the bonus doesn't accelerate at the same pace as it does in banking. Partners can make several millions though.

Better exit opportunities?
Consulting wins hands down

McK has produced 1000's of CEOs, BCG and Bain have also popped out a fair amount. You could move into: Private Equity, Venture Capital, Corporate Strategy/Development, Entrepreneurship, IB (god knows why you would), and if you have 5-7 years experience you can slot quite nicely into a Director/Senior Director role at a large company.

IBD lends itself to Private Equity and Hedge Funds mostly but Corporate Development and Venture Capital are also open

S&T is mostly just Hedge Funds or Proprietary Trading shops.

Work/life balance?
IBD is usually 9am-12am on an OK day, 9am-3/4am on a bad day, and 9am-10pm on a great day. But expect an average of 80 hours a week with spikes of up to 100. You'll almost always work on the weekend.

S&T is mostly market hours + a few on each side of the day. Generally expect: 7am-7pm for a standard vanilla desk, a couple more for a more complex desk. You'll very rarely work on the weekends.

Consulting is a lot of travelling and you'll generally be out the office Mon-Thurs. During those days, expect to work 9am-10/11pm with Thursday being a bit less intense. Fridays can be either at home teleworking or in the office with a more typical 9am-6pm. Weekend work is very rare.

That said, if you live in an area with a considerable focus on one industry you may find yourself travelling less. Particularly true for BCG and Bain.

prestige?
They're both equally prestigious.

Although, MBB is more comparable to GS/MS/JPM and a few of the elite boutiques in stature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes.
Original post by xXxSharkxXx
Yeah, MC sounds like a better job to actually do but only at an MBB firm? I'd choose IB over MC if it wasn't at MBB.

Getting into MBB sounds really difficult though, so if all goes well, I'll probably end up working in IBD.

thats a very very bad idea, were you to get any of the other tier 2s tbh.
Original post by welcometoib

Not really, MBB is the only place to work in Consulting. Everything else is FAR below.
Original post by Adipoptosis
Not really, MBB is the only place to work in Consulting. Everything else is FAR below.

yes youre the expert, please stop stalking my posts now. Do you even know what tier 2 firms are? go on, name me some.
yes youre the expert, please stop stalking my posts now. Do you even know what tier 2 firms are? go on, name me some.

According to me,

Strategy&, KPMG, Deloitte

Some of my friends ended up there :frown:
According to me,

Strategy&, KPMG, Deloitte

Some of my friends ended up there :frown:

You have no idea what you are on about. KPMG isn't second tier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have no idea what you are on about. KPMG isn't second tier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, those are the tier 2 firms...

WHEN YOU KNOW **** ALL DO NOT POST GIVING CRAP ADVICE.

lol. kpmg and deloitte and putting strategy and next to them firstly :tongue:
then actually had the shame to act like you know anything about the industry. im not even wasting time explaining what tier 2 means, you dont even understand anything about mc, dont post advice.

All I said was, everything under McKinsey, Bain and BCG is not worth working for. I don't really care how you classify all the rest.

So would you choose tier 2 MC over IB?
So would you choose tier 2 MC over IB?

ironically the title of this thread is my predicament, in a really serious way, was focused on ibd but consulting is so much more interesting.
id choose ow and oc and c over any ibd without thinking twice. defo for at least a summer internship.

if i was guaranteed my absolute choice of desk in ibd in whatever firm i loved, for their culture, not prestige, which is more important, then id think twice. in the end though, getting somewhere like a summer in a top mc firm really is something to be valued, it would be too much pain and what if to say no to imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
All I said was, everything under McKinsey, Bain and BCG is not worth working for. I don't really care how you classify all the rest.

and i said, when you literally know NOTHING, do not post when a guy clearly is asking for proper help. Stick to what you know, whatever that is.
ironically the title of this thread is my predicament, in a really serious way, was focused on ibd but consulting is so much more interesting.
id choose ow and oc and c over any ibd without thinking twice. defo for at least a summer internship.

if i was guaranteed my absolute choice of desk in ibd in whatever firm i loved, for their culture, not prestige, which is more important, then id think twice. in the end though, getting somewhere like a summer in a top mc firm really is something to be valued, it would be too much pain and what if to say no to imo.

Yeah, MC>IB. What uni do you go or have applied to btw?

He goes to Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile

its not as easy as just that, the factors you put into your op are some of the things you need to thing about. Im at warwick, pm if you want to know anything else, ive been a bit too open and helpful and certain people get insecure, ill stick to pming now.
its not as easy as just that, the factors you put into your op are some of the things you need to thing about. Im at warwick, pm if you want to know anything else, ive been a bit too open and helpful and certain people get insecure, ill stick to pming now.

Alright, I'll PM now.
Reply 56
Starting salary?

Work/life balance?
IBD is usually 9am-12am on an OK day, 9am-3/4am on a bad day, and 9am-10pm on a great day. But expect an average of 80 hours a week with spikes of up to 100. You'll almost always work on the weekend.

Do you work in IB? lol

This forum is pathetic. Clueless students giving second-hand advice to even more clueless students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FVP
Do you work in IB? lol

This forum is pathetic. Clueless students giving second-hand advice to even more clueless students.

Eh? Those are the hours that I've been told by someone who's an IBD Analyst. It all varies based on if you're in a live deal or not. Also varies on the bank - European banks (especially the French ones) tend to have lower hours.

Stop being a condescending douchebag.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FVP
Do you work in IB? lol

Please enlighten us clueless students.

The numbers you say won't be far off the numbers I have stated. Unless you're going to come out and say people in IBD work 9-5, that would just make you an absolute clown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you work in IB? lol.

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending