The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

I'm screwed

So I made the stupid decision to choose Film Studies as my course. Which basically ruined my entire life. I will probably be unemployed because of this ****ty decision. Sigh, what wouldn't I give to go back to High School to choose the Science class instead of the Arts. I am more than capable, but I just found Arts stuff more interesting I guess, so I followed my desire to "break free from Math" since I found it all too boring as hell.

My father is a director and all, in Cyprus, but that doesn't change things if I am to stay in the UK, and the film industry in Cyprus is horrible. My father just barely made two films, and they are one of the first films made in Cyprus. Don't get me wrong, I do like film, but heh, all these people badmouthing it and saying how Film Studies is an excellent degree to prepare for a career in the fast food industry really puts me off. It probably is true. I recently progressed from the foundation year with good grades. Due to the unstable education system in Cyprus, Arts students weren't able to take A Levels, so I had to do Foundation. Anyway, I sent a message to my tutors, in hopes of changing my course, but they told me that it was too late.

So my question to you guys is, do you have any options for me? Anything I can do to turn this situation into something more positive? If you know any Film graduates, I would appreciate it if you told me how they were doing now. I'm also interested in hearing what kind of career paths the Film Studies course can take me on, aside of working at McDonalds...
Original post by Jailhouseblues
So I made the stupid decision to choose Film Studies as my course. Which basically ruined my entire life. I will probably be unemployed because of this ****ty decision. Sigh, what wouldn't I give to go back to High School to choose the Science class instead of the Arts. I am more than capable, but I just found Arts stuff more interesting I guess, so I followed my desire to "break free from Math" since I found it all too boring as hell.

My father is a director and all, in Cyprus, but that doesn't change things if I am to stay in the UK, and the film industry in Cyprus is horrible. My father just barely made two films, and they are one of the first films made in Cyprus. Don't get me wrong, I do like film, but heh, all these people badmouthing it and saying how Film Studies is an excellent degree to prepare for a career in the fast food industry really puts me off. It probably is true. I recently progressed from the foundation year with good grades. Due to the unstable education system in Cyprus, Arts students weren't able to take A Levels, so I had to do Foundation. Anyway, I sent a message to my tutors, in hopes of changing my course, but they told me that it was too late.

So my question to you guys is, do you have any options for me? Anything I can do to turn this situation into something more positive? If you know any Film graduates, I would appreciate it if you told me how they were doing now. I'm also interested in hearing what kind of career paths the Film Studies course can take me on, aside of working at McDonalds...

you can try and get onto a vfx / 3d game art course. Loads of jobs there if you work hard.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Yeah but I don't know if I can switch now. I tried to switch to Psychology but I was denied because they said it was too late. I love Psychology, and even though it's also a little unsafe, it's doing much better than Film is. I guess I am stuck with this crap. I might as well drop out lol... Sorry I'm being a bummer. It's just, all these negative things being said about Film is terrifying, and it's depressing to think that I am in this course.
Wait so you just did a foundation year?

It isnt late to drop out, you get 4 years funding from student finance, the lenght of your course + 1 year.

But a film studies degree is not going to help you get into the film industry at all.
Yeah especially since I can't change my course. I might just drop out from the uni altogether, but it will be a damn shame. Is there really no other way of doing things? I thought many students could change their course if they were not satisfied. My mind is blown at the fact that they denied me from doing so. The semester didn't even start yet! There's like, what, 2-3 months more...
(edited 8 years ago)
Drop out and this time pick the course you want to do. There is no shame in there if you drop out. You don't want to waste your time and finance.
Original post by nemoshish
Drop out and this time pick the course you want to do. There is no shame in there if you drop out. You don't want to waste your time and finance.

Yeah but if I drop out, wouldn't I need to apply to another university? I passed the foundation year with good grades, but I don't know if that will be enough for them to take me right from Year 1.
You have to apply again or ask for transfer but it depends of the course you want to study and having done Film studies foundation may only allow you to transfer to related course. For example if you do Engineering foundation then you can't changed your course to study Law. Therefore I suggest, if you intend to stay same university call your university adviser or tutor to help you if you can transfer to the course you want to study. If not then call university you want to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending