The Student Room Group

1 ED and Multiple EA?

Hi!Is it allowed to apply to only one Early Decision (ED) university and multiple Early Action (EA) universities? I don't see anything wrong with it, because if I get an acceptance from the ED university I'll have to go to that one because of the binding contract, but don't need to for EA ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
Technically it's forbidden, but people do go ahead with doing that for the reasons you outlined.
Reply 2
Original post by devilishpsp
Hi!Is it allowed to apply to only one Early Decision (ED) university and multiple Early Action (EA) universities? I don't see anything wrong with it, because if I get an acceptance from the ED university I'll have to go to that one because of the binding contract, but don't need to for EA ones.

Check with the EA schools for their policies. All of the SCEA universities (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford) do not allow applicants to apply ED elsewhere, and some EA universities do not either (e.g. Georgetown and Boston College). The majority of EA colleges, however, are perfectly okay with students applying ED elsewhere as well.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but there is false information here and I don't want others to go off this.

Original post by vaudevillain
Technically it's forbidden, but people do go ahead with doing that for the reasons you outlined.

No it isn't forbidden. REA (restricted EA) and SCEA (single-choice EA) mean that you should only apply to that school early, but you are not bound if you get in early. (some colleges like Stanford allow you to apply to public universities along with them, even though they are REA).

With ED, you are obliged to accept (unless it would be straining on you financially) but that in no way stops you from applying to other schools under an EA programme. From the website of one ED uni:

"While you may apply to other, non-binding early admissions programs..."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending