The Student Room Group

Is UoManchester worth the money?

I'm an international applicant who has sadly missed her conditions for her firm choice (Warwick). Do you think I should still go to my insurance choice (Manchester) or should I just go to uni in my home country? In other words, is Manchester worth the expensive international fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
What subject are you studying and where are you from?

I went to UoM and it seems very popular with foreign students but that was a long time ago, perhaps some more recent students can provide more contemporary opinions.
Reply 2
Original post by Maker
What subject are you studying and where are you from?

I went to UoM and it seems very popular with foreign students but that was a long time ago, perhaps some more recent students can provide more contemporary opinions.

Going to study business and I'm from Korea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well there are some pretty highly respected South Korean universities that are no doubt much less expensive. If you've missed your UK firm choice, I would say a SK university would be better to go with
I went to Manchester (graduated a year ago), and I would say it was worth the money - I had a great time, and got a good job afterwards.

Manchester has a very good reputation for business and management - the Manchester Business School is world renowned (I believe the MBA programme is ranked world number 1, for instance).

Manchester is the university most targeted by the UK's top 100 graduate employers, and the careers service is great because they help you with your CV and applications, and they offer things like internships and career mentoring (I wouldn't have got my first graduate job without the careers service).

The city is a great place to live (much nicer than Coventry, where Warwick is located!) - it's really diverse, there's lots to do (nightlife, shopping, museums, art galleries, eateries etc) and you can even buy Korean food in Chinatown.

When you arrive at Manchester, you'll be met off the plane by the university and taken to your halls, and there's a fantastic orientation programme for international students that ensures you settle in really quickly (it's really fun!)

If I had my time over again, I'd definitely go to Manchester again. If you've got any questions about Manchester, please ask :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
I went to Manchester (graduated a year ago), and I would say it was worth the money - I had a great time, and got a good job afterwards.

Manchester has a very good reputation for business and management - the Manchester Business School is world renowned (I believe the MBA programme is ranked world number 1, for instance).

Manchester is the university most targeted by the UK's top 100 graduate employers, and the careers service is great because they help you with your CV and applications, and they offer things like internships and career mentoring (I wouldn't have got my first graduate job without the careers service).

The city is a great place to live (much nicer than Coventry, where Warwick is located!) - it's really diverse, there's lots to do (nightlife, shopping, museums, art galleries, eateries etc) and you can even buy Korean food in Chinatown.

When you arrive at Manchester, you'll be met off the plane by the university and taken to your halls, and there's a fantastic orientation programme for international students that ensures you settle in really quickly (it's really fun!)

If I had my time over again, I'd definitely go to Manchester again. If you've got any questions about Manchester, please ask :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I would love to go study in the UK but my parents have recently become hesitant due to the new immigration/visa rules. Is it still worth paying such expensive fees if I would eventually have to leave the UK right after my course ends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by marco14196
Well there are some pretty highly respected South Korean universities that are no doubt much less expensive. If you've missed your UK firm choice, I would say a SK university would be better to go with

I got into one of the SKY universities. The cheap fees is what is so appealing, but will studying in a Korean university prevent me from finding jobs outside Korea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milkberries
I got into one of the SKY universities. The cheap fees is what is so appealing, but will studying in a Korean university prevent me from finding jobs outside Korea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you should probably tell us what university it is. Is it one of the high ranking ones in South Korea? What is its global rating(look at the TIMES list for this)? Honestly though, if you can do well in a South Korean university, get employment out there, climb up to an important role, you'll have no difficulty finding a job abroad after a few years. Plus there is some bad news with the UK university thing though. Our Home Secretary here is trying to put through legislation that would mean non-EU students would be forced out immediately after finishing their degree. It's not law yet but it may soon end up being law. So bare that in mind.
Reply 8
Probably worth staying with one of the SKY universities
Reply 9
Original post by mm14
Probably worth staying with one of the SKY universities

Why do you say so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh I would love to go study in the UK but my parents have recently become hesitant due to the new immigration/visa rules. Is it still worth paying such expensive fees if I would eventually have to leave the UK right after my course ends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fundamentally going be a pretty individual decision, but I'd consider the following questions
- can your parents afford this or will it put them into financial difficulty?
- will having a UK degree help you in the Korean jobs market?
- will the extra things that studying in the UK brings help you in the Korean job market? For instance, fluency in English, international contacts and experience of living and studying abroad (it's not unusual to see the latter listed as a requirement on job descriptions)
- will having a UK degree help if you want to emigrate to another country?

It's worth bearing in mind that you get four months after the end of your course to find a job in the UK - some but not all international students do manage this (though it is possible that this could change by the time you come to graduate). However, it's worth noting that if you do want to do this it's going to be necessary to make yourself attractive by undertaking things like internships and work experience during your degree.

Ultimately, however, if your parents were happy to pay for you to go to Warwick, then I see no logical reason why they shouldn't be prepared to pay for you to go to Manchester - the career prospects there are just as good as at Warwick, if not better.
Reply 11
Why do you say so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you said, it'll be cheaper for you and it'll be easier, graduating from a SKY university shouldn't hold you back by any means

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending