The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Probability A & B

Would you say that the book [Grimmett - An Introduction to Probability] covers both of the courses contained in 'Probability A & B'?

Edit: The recommended textbook by Pitman doesn't look all that good (3 stars on amazon.com) and is rather expensive...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EYPHKA
Would you say that the book [Grimmett - An Introduction to Probability] covers both of the courses contained in 'Probability A & B'?

Edit: The recommended textbook by Pitman doesn't look all that good (3 stars on amazon.com) and is rather expensive...

For what it's worth, I think that when I did this module a couple of years ago, the lecturer (who at the time was Sigurd Assing) just took questions from this book (Pitman) to use as exam questions.

I just found a pdf online and used that. But if you are going to buy one, I would probably recommend getting the Pitman one.

Are you starting there in September? If so, it may be worth waiting a while. Sigurd starting teaching it a couple of years ago and he changed the module a lot. So you might want to wait to see if it changes again. The webpages are still showing data from last year, and so modules could change next year. Heck, it's possible some modules won't exist next year.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by brittanna
For what it's worth, I think that when I did this module a couple of years ago, the lecturer (who at the time was Sigurd Assing) just took questions from this book (Pitman) to use as exam questions.

I just found a pdf online and used that. But if you are going to buy one, I would probably recommend getting the Pitman one.

Are you starting there in September? If so, it may be worth waiting a while. Sigurd starting teaching it a couple of years ago and he changed the module a lot. So you might want to wait to see if it changes again. The webpages are still showing data from last year, and so modules could change next year. Heck, it's possible some modules won't exist next year.

Yes, I'm starting a maths degree there in October, not September (please correct me if I'm wrong though as it could differ for first years).
Don't buy any textbooks at this point. Wait until you know if you need them. In the last three years, I've bought precisely one textbook, and that wasn't really necessary.
Original post by EYPHKA

Original post by BlueSam3
Don't buy any textbooks at this point. Wait until you know if you need them. In the last three years, I've bought precisely one textbook, and that wasn't really necessary.

I'd agree with this. I'm going into my third year and I haven't bought any textbooks yet (although I have bought printed lecture notes, but they're not quite the same thing). I almost bought the Logic 1 textbook, but I never quite got round to that...
Original post by EYPHKA
So it is possible to survive using the library. Did you have to wait for books because they were on loan? (@brittanna: Just letting you know my reply to your last post is still 'being reviewed'.)

For a lot of modules, the lecturers provide lecture notes, and so you don't really need to consult other books. Of course, some people find it helpful as it may explain an idea in a different way, but generally you don't need textbooks for most modules.

The only time I've really even got textbooks out of the library (excluding for the second year essay) were for differential equations (As he didn't provide lecture notes until the end of the module), prob A (for practice questions) and Analysis I (the Spivak and Mary Hart ones) as I struggled with Analysis I to begin with.

But yes. Especially with the recommended text books for core modules, you will have to wait quite a while for them. And then when you do get them, you'll have to give them back three days later most of the time as too many people want them.
Original post by brittanna
I'd agree with this. I'm going into my third year and I haven't bought any textbooks yet (although I have bought printed lecture notes, but they're not quite the same thing). I almost bought the Logic 1 textbook, but I never quite got round to that...

Yeah, Logic 1 was the one that I made the mistake of buying. Note for future students: when they say that the textbook is necessary, they're lying.

Quick Reply

Latest