The Student Room Group

Applying to uni with 1 BTEC and 2 A Levels

Hi, I'm planning to apply to a Russel Group university to study Chemistry.
My only concern is the fact that I'll have 1 BTEC and 2 A Levels.

I already have a D* in BTEC Law under my belt, and I'm predicted to get an A in Chemistry, and a B in Biology A Level.

Ideally I'd like to study at the University of Nottingham which typically asks for AAB, with an A in Chem.
If I end up with D*AB overall, will the BTEC hinder my chances of getting into a good Russel Group? Thanks.
Reply 1
Try contacting the uni to see if they'd allow it I guess
you should contact the particular uni. i do btec law and two a levels and birmingham said they cant accept me for psychology /:

sometimes a Distinction is B to unis
Reply 3
Thanks for the help, I've sent a few emails out. Hopefully, they'll accept it.
Reply 4
in most cases they will accept a subsidiary diploma in lieu of one A level of the equivalent grade...

...so your D* will, in most cases, count as an A* towards meeting the offer.

Also if you are concerned about universities accepting your BTEC qualification, don't be, 95% of UK universities accept BTEC including most Russell groups unis, with the exception of Imperial, although, saying that, I did read online that someone got into study a Physics degree at Imperial with a BTEC in Electronic Engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by yt7777
in most cases they will accept a subsidiary diploma in lieu of one A level of the equivalent grade...

Also if you are concerned about universities accepting your BTEC qualification, don't be, 95% of UK universities accept BTEC including most Russell groups unis, with the exception of Imperial, although, saying that, I did read online that someone got into study a Physics degree at Imperial with a BTEC in Electronic Engineering.

Thank you very much, this has reassured me. Still waiting for the unis to reply, hopefully they'll confirm this.
Reply 6
Original post by SirEnthalpy
Thank you very much, this has reassured me. Still waiting for the unis to reply, hopefully they'll confirm this.

No worries, where are you hoping to apply?
Reply 7
Original post by yt7777
No worries, where are you hoping to apply?

I'm thinking Nottingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff, and Keele (as my insurance). All for Chemistry.
I obviously need to wait on my results to make a more informed decision though.
Original post by yt7777

Physics at Imperial with a BTEC? Doesn't sound too realistic
OP - Nottingham discuss BTECs to a small degree here. They don't mention Chemistry and they assume you're only taking a BTEC in the example, but by the looks of it they are BTEC-friendly.

Original post by yt7777

They may accept the BTEC, but I doubt they'll accept the D* as equivalent to A*. I hate to pull the "my friend" line, but a friend of mine applied for Drama with BBC entry requirements, and the university only considered his D* in Drama BTEC to be equivalent to a B at A-level.

Obviously, it depends on the uni, but I don't think OP can expect a D* = A* equivalence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by loperdoper
OP - Nottingham discuss BTECs to a small degree here. They don't mention Chemistry and they assume you're only taking a BTEC in the example, but by the looks of it they are BTEC-friendly.

They may accept the BTEC, but I doubt they'll accept the D* as equivalent to A*. I hate to pull the "my friend" line, but a friend of mine applied for Drama with BBC entry requirements, and the university only considered his D* in Drama BTEC to be equivalent to a B at A-level.

Obviously, it depends on the uni, but I don't think OP can expect a D* = A* equivalence.

I dont know any uni that equates a D* as a B, that just doesnt make sense, I emailed sooo many unis (including a lot of the rusell group ones) and they have all said that they follow the grade equivalences, so D* = A*, D = A, M = C, P = E.

sometimes a Distinction counts as a B because obviously in a BTEC there is no B equivalent and the next step down is an M which is a C equiv and this wouldnt satisfy the offer for an ABB course

when I applied to uni the A level offer was either ABB or AAB with an A in either Maths, Physics or `Computing, however the BTEC IT/Computing offer was DDD (distinctions) which is equiv to AAA, this was because even though DDM is woth the same as ABB it includes a C grade equiv. and this would suggest an A level applicant would be able to get in with AAC because logically the grades are equivalent however dont suggest a broad enough knowledge across 3 A levels (or equiv), this was for Computer Science
Reply 11
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Physics at Imperial with a BTEC? Doesn't sound too realistic

its true

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/the-hard-way-two-young-students-who-did-not-follow-the/148125.article
Original post by loperdoper

Universities like Sheffield claim to accept a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma when combined with 2 other A Levels.
I'm not too sure, but Nottingham may be concerned about students applying with only BTECs.
I'm still waiting on a reply from Nottingham though.

Quick Reply

Latest