The Student Room Group

Should an adult really be shy, unless they've not had a trauma?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhiifuu
Some people are just shy.. it doesn't matter if they're an adult or what not.

ok....well it's PC to let them not be.
I dont believe people need to agree on anything. biut it's nice you all lambast me for imperfect reasoning, when it's very common.
Regardless of extensive trauma in my childhood I'm not what you'd call a "shy" person although I'm not exactly an adult yet.
What I'm trying to get at is that there is absolutely no correlation at all. Introverts will be introverts.
A lot of people seem be saying that being shy is being introverted which isn't necessarily true. A distinction needs to be made between introverts and people with social anxiety.
Meh. Some of us have serious issues communicating. It's not as simple as you're making it out to be.
To a large extent it depends what you mean by shy. I would say that most adults should be able to communicate as necessary, but that doesn't mean they need to be exercising their jaw at all times. As a kid I was very definitely an introvert, now I'm much closer to the introvert/extrovert boundary, but I'm not particularly likely to approach someone without a particular reason to and I'm not great at small talk.
shyness is really something you expect people to grow out of by adulthood
You're mixing up 'quiet' and 'shy'. Shy is a child hiding behind their parent's leg. Not talking at every opportunity is normal behaviour for lots of people. Introversion is a very normal human state which people mistake for shyness.

The idea that everyone has to be a shouty, loud, talkative, non-stop interacting noise box is a peculiar one and makes me think there's a huge lack of social awareness somewhere along the line.
Original post by russellsteapot
You're mixing up 'quiet' and 'shy'. Shy is a child hiding behind their parent's leg. Not talking at every opportunity is normal behaviour for lots of people. Introversion is a very normal human state which people mistake for shyness.

The idea that everyone has to be a shouty, loud, talkative, non-stop interacting noise box is a peculiar one and makes me think there's a huge lack of social awareness somewhere along the line.

I know the difference between introversion and shyness. sorry, just stating an opinion. i like though how you presume everybody has to be reasoned and wise, instead of being..well human.,
Staying in the background of conversations does not necessarily make someone shy.

I'm pretty much a textbook introvert, and in a group of people holding a conversation tend to prefer to listen than contribute, but it's not shyness. I did used to be very shy though, because growing up I got so much negative feedback over being an introvert (e.g. why don't you talk more?' 'You're so quiet') that I got to be really self conscious about it. It made me feel like there was something wrong with me.

As I've got older however, I've become much more confident and comfortable in my introvertedness as I've gained a better understanding of it and learnt to make it work for me. There's nothing better or worse about being an introvert or extrovert-they both have their upsides and downsides.
The real question is, why do some people retain the childish belief that being quiet is some kind of crime into adulthood? I'm not shy, but I tend to stay in the background in conversations, and if people don't like that then they're the ones that need to grow up. And if the issue is social anxiety, you can't 'grow out of it' any more than you can grow out of having one leg, it's just the way some people's brains are wired. In extreme forms it's probably a bad thing, but not as bad as being an obnoxious loudmouth who doesn't know when to shut up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
I dislike the word "shy". It implies you're scared of people and the way it's been used over the years it's pretty much an insult now. I got mad when my mum called me shy for not wanting to go on Dragon's Den with my business idea. I basically equate it to being called a chicken. In most cases the correct term is introverted, some people just don't like talking much. I don't see why people like OP must take issue with this, if someone talks a lot is it acceptable to call them out on it?
Original post by darthentantius
I know the difference between introversion and shyness. sorry, just stating an opinion. i like though how you presume everybody has to be reasoned and wise, instead of being..well human.,

I don't presume everyone should be reasoned and wise, but the vast majority of people are equipped with the processing power to be aware of those different to them. Obviously different people have different levels of empathy, but almost everyone has some (I assume). Being aware of how different people behave, and why, is a useful life skill.

It isn't a personal attack on you, more a general malaise caused by a society which seems to over-value particular traits, and generates perjorative terms to slap onto very ordinary people.
Original post by Plutonian
I dislike the word "shy". It implies you're scared of people and the way it's been used over the years it's pretty much an insult now. I got mad when my mum called me shy for not wanting to go on Dragon's Den with my business idea. I basically equate it to being called a chicken. In most cases the correct term is introverted, some people just don't like talking much. I don't see why people like OP must take issue with this, if someone talks a lot is it acceptable to call them out on it?
its life....
Original post by russellsteapot
I don't presume everyone should be reasoned and wise, but the vast majority of people are equipped with the processing power to be aware of those different to them. Obviously different people have different levels of empathy, but almost everyone has some (I assume). Being aware of how different people behave, and why, is a useful life skill.

It isn't a personal attack on you, more a general malaise caused by a society which seems to over-value particular traits, and generates perjorative terms to slap onto very ordinary people.

every human is different, of course. but then i don't just get why an adult should be shy. if that offends you, or you reckon every post here has to be uber-mature..well ok, i don't/won't agree with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending