The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Self-catered vs Catered

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between catered and self-catered accommodation, and I've read that even if you aren't in catered accommodation, you can still "pay as you go" and buy food from the various restaurants and cafés around the campus. Is this the same price as choosing catered accommodation or is it different?

I'm thinking that going catered and paying for breakfasts might not be worth it since it's easy to make it in the mornings, and if I wanted to eat out somewhere else I could just pay with cash. Is this a reasonable thing to think? How would the cost compare to the catered option?
Reply 1
I think going catered is a lot cheaper. Buying the meals individually is quite expensive, but there's something called the MAD scheme which essentially turns you into catered. I think it's still more expensive, though, and you have to have breakfast.

Personally, I would recommend self catered! I enjoyed it a lot more.
University of York
York
Original post by SolidAsAJacques
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between catered and self-catered accommodation, and I've read that even if you aren't in catered accommodation, you can still "pay as you go" and buy food from the various restaurants and cafés around the campus. Is this the same price as choosing catered accommodation or is it different?

I'm thinking that going catered and paying for breakfasts might not be worth it since it's easy to make it in the mornings, and if I wanted to eat out somewhere else I could just pay with cash. Is this a reasonable thing to think? How would the cost compare to the catered option?

Overall I'd say self catered works out a lot cheaper, as most people don't really end up eating at restaurants on campus anyway and if they do only really for lunch. Buying food , especially breakfast, from supermarkets is much cheaper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest