The Student Room Group

Compare and Contrast- English Literature

What books have people had to compare and contrast before and on what themes? Also, do you have any personal suggestions of books which would be good for this? No translated texts though! Thanks :')
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I've done quite a few, and can't really remember them all. For my comparison coursework at AS I compared Blackadder Goes Forth and the play Journey's End on comrades, I did a couple of A2
questions recently, one comparing Age of Innocence and Antony and Cleopatra on infidelity, and the other comparing Our Mutual Friend and the play Dancing at Lughnasa on proposals. For my A2 coursework, I'm comparing Othello, the play A View from the Bridge and a third text of my choice (I might do Dorian Grey, but I'm not sure yet) on the dark side of love, which I will narrow down soon.

Do you know what theme your school is focusing on? (We did WW1 for As, and will be doing Love for A2.) try and find some books based on this, and see if you can find a reading list. Also, look at example coursework titles as these will give you some ideas and show you how people have compared in the past. Remember that you could just focus on small sections of books that are similar as well, as this may be easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks, we can do it on any theme we want, it is independent, but I was thinking of education (emotional/academic/bildungsroman etc.)
Original post by couruthim
Thanks, we can do it on any theme we want, it is independent, but I was thinking of education (emotional/academic/bildungsroman etc.)

The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot deals with all three things you suggested. It's a tragic story. You can also look into Hard a Times. I wasn't a fan of the latter but again, deals with your themes well. A lot of Victorian texts deal will all your themes. If you're looking for something more modern try Catcher in the Rye or Maurice.
Original post by oswalds
I've done quite a few, and can't really remember them all. For my comparison coursework at AS I compared Blackadder Goes Forth and the play Journey's End on comrades, I did a couple of A2
questions recently, one comparing Age of Innocence and Antony and Cleopatra on infidelity, and the other comparing Our Mutual Friend and the play Dancing at Lughnasa on proposals. For my A2 coursework, I'm comparing Othello, the play A View from the Bridge and a third text of my choice (I might do Dorian Grey, but I'm not sure yet) on the dark side of love, which I will narrow down soon.

Do you know what theme your school is focusing on? (We did WW1 for As, and will be doing Love for A2.) try and find some books based on this, and see if you can find a reading list. Also, look at example coursework titles as these will give you some ideas and show you how people have compared in the past. Remember that you could just focus on small sections of books that are similar as well, as this may be easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I studied othello with Dorian Gary! Was really fun to look at!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending