The Student Room Group

Hormonal imbalance

I started taking herbal estrogen and anti-androgens to stay looking youthful. To that end it has worked great, skin is clearer, face seems a little different but it has also had the unintended effect of completely curing my anxiety which was previously so bad that I was trembling to the point where I dropped dishes onto the floor. Why is this? Tbh I have always felt there was something wrong with my hormonal balance because of my body shape and lack of body hair which is why I figured correctly that I'd respond strongly to the herbal estro. Should I talk to my doctor? I don't want him thinking I want to grow breasts or anything but I do feel that this is further evidence that my downhill mental slide since puberty was caused by increased testosterone.
Are you a man or woman? An important factor in discussing androgens

Original post by Plutonian
I started taking herbal estrogen and anti-androgens to stay looking youthful. To that end it has worked great, skin is clearer, face seems a little different but it has also had the unintended effect of completely curing my anxiety which was previously so bad that I was trembling to the point where I dropped dishes onto the floor. Why is this? Tbh I have always felt there was something wrong with my hormonal balance because of my body shape and lack of body hair which is why I figured correctly that I'd respond strongly to the herbal estro. Should I talk to my doctor? I don't want him thinking I want to grow breasts or anything but I do feel that this is further evidence that my downhill mental slide since puberty was caused by increased testosterone.
Reply 2
Original post by earthworm
Are you a man or woman? An important factor in discussing androgens

Man.
Reply 3
Bump.
Estrogen 'turns down' your sympathetic nervous system so fight and flight responses e.g fast heart rate are dampend this could explain the effect you see. There may also be a Placebo effect. Also because its a herbal preparation there could be other phytochemicals having an anxiolytic effect. I wouldnt try to mess with my androgens without oversight of a doc.
Reply 5
Estrogen 'turns down' your sympathetic nervous system so fight and flight responses e.g fast heart rate are dampend this could explain the effect you see. There may also be a Placebo effect. Also because its a herbal preparation there could be other phytochemicals having an anxiolytic effect. I wouldnt try to mess with my androgens without oversight of a doc.

I dunno this is a slippery slope made even slipperier by "grass is greener" thoughts. Getting my doctor onboard may push things a little too far if you know what I mean.
I dunno this is a slippery slope made even slipperier by "grass is greener" thoughts. Getting my doctor onboard may push things a little too far if you know what I mean.

What are you trying to achive with these suplements?
Reply 7
What are you trying to achive with these suplements?

A more youthful look, no future baldness
A more youthful look, no future baldness

Just be careful herbal does not = harmless. Opium or deadly nightshade anyone?
Id be worried about fertility and gynecomatstia
Reply 10
Id be worried about fertility and gynecomatstia

Fertility not an issue I have no plans to ever have children, boobs however are. Don't want that.

Quick Reply

Latest