The Student Room Group

Can't lose weight - feeling hungry as **** while exercising and before sleep

Hi,

I'm 5'11 (180cm) and just below 90kg (198lbs)... My waist is 34 inches and I'm 16 years old.

My peak weight was 94kg (when I was 14) and my lowest was 86kg (during exams due to exam stress!)

I would like to lose 9kg to 80kg as a long-term goal, but I want to lose 4-5kg and end up at 85kg by September. BUT when I try to cut down, I always feel hungry, especially when I exercise and before sleep (11pm-ish).

Does anyone have any tips to lose weight as a student who eats "normal" food, e.g. nothing too heavy nor too "healthy", and wants to lose some weight? Should I eat similar portions, but eat more "healthy", or eat normal/"healthy" and eat less?

Off-topic: is 90kg (that) bad health-wise? For example, I look fairly slim with clothes on.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm the opposite lol i'm 6'4 86kg trying to get to 100kg, I have to eat like 3500 calories a day :/

Have you tried food which is specifically made to be low calorie?
Reply 2
Hungry comes in waves. Have a glass of water, do something to take your mind of it. After a while, you won't be hungry any more. When you do eat, eat satiating foods, rather than empty calories

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you drinking lots of water and eating food high in fibre?(Veg,fruit) this makes you fuller for longer
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheKevinFang
Hi,

I'm 5'11 (180cm) and just below 90kg (198lbs)... My waist is 34 inches and I'm 16 years old.

My peak weight was 94kg (when I was 14) and my lowest was 86kg (during exams due to exam stress!)

I would like to lose 9kg to 80kg as a long-term goal, but I want to lose 4-5kg and end up at 85kg by September. BUT when I try to cut down, I always feel hungry, especially when I exercise and before sleep (11pm-ish).

Does anyone have any tips to lose weight as a student who eats "normal" food, e.g. nothing too heavy nor too "healthy", and wants to lose some weight? Should I eat similar portions, but eat more "healthy", or eat normal/"healthy" and eat less?

Off-topic: is 90kg (that) bad health-wise? For example, I look fairly slim with clothes on.

When you're hungry, drink water or green tea or something to temporarily fill your stomach. Also do this before you eat, it should stop you eating so much and will shrink the size of your stomach as it gets used to eating less and you shouldn't feel hungry! And when you're hungry before exercise, try to reward yourself with food after exercise for motivation!
Need to have a 2L bottle of water stuck in your head whenever you feel hungry. Works a treat

Aside from that, have bigger portions of healthy food. If youre having a bowl of porridge for breakfast make it a big one etc
Update: I reached my lowest weight of 85.8kg today. Very happy, even though it is only a small loss of weight. One week ago I was 88kg lowest and 90kg highest.

I believe the water trick has helped me well, as well as cutting down on carbs and eating more meat and veg :smile: Thanks for the support
Update (29/12/2015): 5 months later:

Seems like a long while! Reached my lowest weight ever!

I weighed in after dinner (maximum weight) at 80.5kg. This morning, I weighed in below 80kg (79.7kg)!!! Finally!

I know weight is just a number, but this is a new step in the right direction for me. Thanks to everyone on here for helping me, and I finally feel normal :smile: My shirt size dropped from XL two years ago to M, and my waist size was a maximum of 36, which is now 32/33 (34 feels loose to me now).

So even though I'm still a little pudgy at 5'11, I'm feeling really good about myself and plan to continue my weight loss journey, to a final goal weight of 75kg, by the age of 18 (my birthday is on the 12th Nov).

Just watch this space :smile: :smile: :smile:
Update (29/12/2015): 5 months later:

Seems like a long while! Reached my lowest weight ever!

I weighed in after dinner (maximum weight) at 80.5kg. This morning, I weighed in below 80kg (79.7kg)!!! Finally!

I know weight is just a number, but this is a new step in the right direction for me. Thanks to everyone on here for helping me, and I finally feel normal :smile: My shirt size dropped from XL two years ago to M, and my waist size was a maximum of 36, which is now 32/33 (34 feels loose to me now).

So even though I'm still a little pudgy at 5'11, I'm feeling really good about myself and plan to continue my weight loss journey, to a final goal weight of 75kg, by the age of 18 (my birthday is on the 12th Nov).

Just watch this space :smile: :smile: :smile:

Good job :smile: glad to hear you're doing well and have achieved your goals.
Just remember to keep on top of your eating habits even after you've reached your end goal, you don't want to end up yo-yo-ing up and down with your weight, and it's great to have healthier eating habits and a grip one what and how much you should be eating.
Original post by SophieSmall
Good job :smile: glad to hear you're doing well and have achieved your goals.
Just remember to keep on top of your eating habits even after you've reached your end goal, you don't want to end up yo-yo-ing up and down with your weight, and it's great to have healthier eating habits and a grip one what and how much you should be eating.

Thank you for the kind words... I really don't want to go back to my old self.

What is a "normal" weight for a 5'11 male anyway?

Out or curiosity, I actually looked on mybodygallery.com for 5'11 180lb male AND female bodies, and some men look pretty slender compared to myself, even some women looking pretty slim and "normal" in those pictures. Me? At 80kg, I still look quite pudgy and I still have kind of a double chin when I lie down and stuff. Should I attempt to reduce my weight to 75kg? Or just maintwin my weight at this somewhat happy medium? Thanks
Reply 10

Out or curiosity, I actually looked on mybodygallery.com for 5'11 180lb male AND female bodies, and some men look pretty slender compared to myself, even some women looking pretty slim and "normal" in those pictures. Me? At 80kg, I still look quite pudgy and I still have kind of a double chin when I lie down and stuff. Should I attempt to reduce my weight to 75kg? Or just maintwin my weight at this somewhat happy medium? Thanks

Maintain it at a happy medium. You are a perfectly healthy weight.

Do you feel healthy within yourself? That's what matters, not your weight or BMI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Maintain it at a happy medium. You are a perfectly healthy weight.

Do you feel healthy within yourself? That's what matters, not your weight or BMI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Thanks for the confirmation, well I feel I'm healthy enough that my weight does not limit the things I choose to do in life. I will definitely try my best to maintain this weight at the very least, and enjoy my life I guess :smile:

Normal is a subjective term, and there are variations of normal. What you should be aiming for is health.

The BMI scale is a scale used to determine what is "normal" (disregarding exceptions such as large muscle mass). It was designed by taking statistics from the population and extrapolating at what height and respective weight were statistically associated with the least weight related medical conditions such as diabetes, arthritis and heart disease. So at the very least I recommend you aim to have a BMI within the normal range. Note that BMI is not always accurate, for example some athletes are classed as overweight due to large muscle mass, this is because BMI does not distinguish between fat and muscle. This however is unlikely to affect you unless you start getting very serious about getting into shape and building muscle.

If you still feel you could be better then it could just be that you have a somewhat high body fat percentage for your height and weight and you may just want to continue cutting your calories and continuing to lose fat and building muscle also if you choose to do so.

But rest assured, if your BMI is within the normal range you are statistically really quite unlikely to suffer any ill health due to your weight. Just be sure to eat a healthy balanced diet and to get enough exercise. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
They'll have far more muscle mass at 80kg than you mate, that's why they look leaner than you.

At 5'11 to be pretty lean would about 70kg.
Although, if I were you I'd lift weights and eat at maintenance for a fair while.
If you don't plan on that then I'd say your current weight is ok, although 70-75kg would make you fairly lean at 5'11.
Original post by Unistudent77
They'll have far more muscle mass at 80kg than you mate, that's why they look leaner than you.

At 5'11 to be pretty lean would about 70kg.
Although, if I were you I'd lift weights and eat at maintenance for a fair while.
If you don't plan on that then I'd say your current weight is ok, although 70-75kg would make you fairly lean at 5'11.

Thanks, and yeah I don't have large arms or chest muscles, I've played table tennis for a long time, so the only large muscles I have are in the legs and shoulders...

I'm trying to cut down to 75kg, the goal is to reach that number by September this year. The minimum is to maintain my weight, however.

Wish me luck!
Reply 15
Hi,

i'm 165 cm, 85 kg.
i cut out all fast food, sugar and chocolates and eat only green vegetables. exercise 3 times a week but see no progress.
what's the problem?
Hi,

I'm 18 in a month and I was 16 stone a couple of months back with a waist of 44 inches. Now, I'm 13.5 stone and have a waist of 34. My system does see me feeling a little hungry here and there, so keep that in mind.

For food, here's my average day...

Breakfast
- Bowl of 2x Weetabix with 1/3rd pot of Onken raspberry yoghurt and sliced banana
- Cup of tea / glass of water

Lunch
- Sliced ham and lettuce sandwich (wholemeal brown bread) with a small amount of full-fat Philadelphia instead of butter
- 1x pink lady apple
- Water
OR
- 1x full tin of Heinz Big Soup Chicken & Vegetable
- 1x pink lady apple
- Water

Dinner
- Whatever my parents make me, but I specifically request "small" portions
- No dessert afterwards

I do feel hungry coming up to lunch and sometimes before bed, so yeah - hunger is something you will experience. When this happens, I remind myself that whenever I feel hungry, my body is having to resort to burning my body fat to get energy. I drink water to help quell the hunger pangs. Don't snack between meals if you get hungry, just go for water.

Instead of telling yourself "nahh I won't eat right now fam" when it comes to food, tell yourself "I'll eat later". If it's something like cake or chocolate, simply say "that stuff will kill me". I've managed to work myself into this mindset where I find bacon burgers and other assorted greasy foods disgusting to think about.

Furthermore, cut down on sugar. I avoid eating any sugar, unless it's naturally within my good, i.e. fruit, yoghurt, bread, etc. Don't drink any soft drinks either, i.e. coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta. Diet coke is actually worse for you - it has little sugar, yes, but the stuff in that is just nasty. Nobody should be pouring that chemical cocktail down their throat, to be honest.

One sugary drink you can have is a homemade fruit smoothie - emphasis on homemade. Store-bought and vendor smoothies are packed full of added sugar, whilst homemade will just have the natural sugar of fruit and whatever's in your yoghurt. Blend together a smoothie with fresh/frozen fruit (partially defrost the fruit a little first or you'll likely break the blender :wink: ), a little bit of yoghurt and about 100ml of cold water and you'll have a delicious, cold smoothie! I personally like a combination of raspberries, blueberries and banana. However, I'd only suggest having one of these once a week.

Low-fat is complete BS. Fat is actually fairly important as a nutrient for your body. Low-fat foods are generally still not great for you. You should be looking at low-sugar and low-salt options.

Do not add things to your food once it's been served, i.e. ketchup, salt, vinegar, sugar. Eat it as is.

Eat more protein. Fish is great, which you could get by having a tuna mayo and lettuce sandwich. Eggs are awesome, too - you can have egg for breakfast, omlette for lunches, etc.

Use the Yummly website / app for dinner ideas if you cook your own meals. There are some really nice healthy options on there! C:

Aim to get roughly 8.5 - 9.5 hours of sleep every night. It will help your weight loss, general happiness and fatigue levels hugely.

As for exercise, don't go to the gym - play sports! I personally like tennis, swimming, rock climbing and hiking. Join a club, go have an adventure! It's less monotonous than the gym. You won't build muscle as fast, but you'll still lose weight and get much, much fitter over time.

Walk more. Don't sit around watching TV or on any computers all day. Get up and go for a half hour walk or something. Trust me on that one.

That pretty much sums up my weight loss system, and it's worked wonders for me over the last four months - as I said earlier, I've lost 2.5 stone! I'm getting comments from my friends and family about how I look slimmer than before, and I'm noticing my face is starting to appear thinner too. I can only offer useful advice on what I myself know to work, so I hope this proves useful to you! :biggrin:
Would just like to update this thread really quick.

Two weeks until exams! However I have lost some substantial weight since I made this thread!

I am now 77.8kg in the morning and around 79.0kg at night! I am perfectly happy with this weight, but my long term goals (for September 2016), is 75kg at night, which should be achievable, as I have quite a small frame.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and rep.
Hi, just came to update - this is the only thread I have to track me weight loss, haha.

Slow and steady, but hit my lowest of 74.6kg in the morning and around 76kg at night.

Thanks!
I'm 5ft 11
70.5kg
:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest