The Student Room Group

Help or a chat regarding University? I'm here!

I know I haven't post on this site in a while, but this site really helped me whilst I was in sixth form about to head to university. It helped with my decisions and all questions I had! I'd like to repay the favour, if you have any questions, please post them and I'll try my best to answer them!

I attend Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln
Studying BA (Hons) Drama in The Community.
(Second Year)

Scroll to see replies

How are you finding your course? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kitty_Kat123
How are you finding your course? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it's fantastic! It's been a roller coaster of emotions and learning experiences but it's nothing like I imagined. First year has been fantastic and I can't wait for second year. It's been stressful. Don't get me wrong but worth it. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
why didnt you study a STEM subject in cambridge instead

Spoiler

Original post by Raven of the Sun
why didnt you study a STEM subject in cambridge instead

Spoiler

Why didn't you post constructively instead?

Spoiler

Anyway - What's the best advice you can give to those who are already starting to feel scared about moving out and settling in? :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
Why didn't you post constructively instead?

Spoiler

Anyway - What's the best advice you can give to those who are already starting to feel scared about moving out and settling in? :smile:

1. Thank you for standing up for me against that previous poster. Whether it was a joke or not, I have no response apart from I went where felt like home and were I felt happy.

2. The advice I'd give is this.
There is nothing to be scared of at all! I know how you felt, it was terrifying! You spend the months leading up to moving in worrying yourself and panicing and just making the whole situation feel a whole lot worse than it needs to be!
You have no need to be scared! Some people are made for moving out, others are not. You just feel ready when it comes to it. We all love home (well most of us) and I know I did but I enjoyed the freedom. When you get there, you are surrounded by people who are in the same boat as you and that's something you have to remember. You are not alone! Everyone is feeling the same, you'll make friends easily and settle it as equally easy. All I can say is make sure you make it homely, wherever you are living. Make things you find as home comforts, making it a haven to be safe in and feel at home in. Settling in is easy and the days will fly by as you make friends with your flat mates, go out with them and just settle into the new life style. It sounds strange and not very reassuring, but, it comes naturually. It'll just happen and before you know it, months have passed. Does that answer your question?
If not, I can expand.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
1. Thank you for standing up for me against that previous poster. Whether it was a joke or not, I have no response apart from I went where felt like home and were I felt happy.

2. The advice I'd give is this.
There is nothing to be scared of at all! I know how you felt, it was terrifying! You spend the months leading up to moving in worrying yourself and panicing and just making the whole situation feel a whole lot worse than it needs to be!
You have no need to be scared! Some people are made for moving out, others are not. You just feel ready when it comes to it. We all love home (well most of us) and I know I did but I enjoyed the freedom. When you get there, you are surrounded by people who are in the same boat as you and that's something you have to remember. You are not alone! Everyone is feeling the same, you'll make friends easily and settle it as equally easy. All I can say is make sure you make it homely, wherever you are living. Make things you find as home comforts, making it a haven to be safe in and feel at home in. Settling in is easy and the days will fly by as you make friends with your flat mates, go out with them and just settle into the new life style. It sounds strange and not very reassuring, but, it comes naturually. It'll just happen and before you know it, months have passed. Does that answer your question?
If not, I can expand.

Do you mind if I use this in the unis forum as a quote? :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
Do you mind if I use this in the unis forum as a quote? :smile:

Not at all! Feel free! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Just wondering if you were first year going into second year.

Or second year going into third?
Did u live in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thilly6
Just wondering if you were first year going into second year.

Or second year going into third?

I'm a first year going into my second year.
Starting second year in September 2015.
Original post by em211997
Did u live in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I did!
Lived in halls for one year, any questions?
Yes, I did!
Lived in halls for one year, any questions?

Did u end up being close friends with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em211997
Did u end up being close friends with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the beginning I certainly aimed to talk to everyone and for the first few weeks, I tried to stay close with people but there was a select few I ended up staying very close with and now they are some of my best friends. You'll be civil with people in your halls and most certainly, you'll stay close to a few of them. Obviously, you can't be friends with everyone, but like I said, you'll be civil!
I am going into my second year at university too! Studying early childhood studies.

Any tips for second year? What did you struggle with in your first year?
Original post by evelynj66
I am going into my second year at university too! Studying early childhood studies.

Any tips for second year? What did you struggle with in your first year?

Fantastic! I hope your first year went well and I hope you're looking forward to your second!

I'll start with the second part of your question first,
What did I struggle with in first year?
I struggled really badly with stress and I know that's quite stereotypical but stress got the better of me a few times and I was convinved I was going to drop out but there was so much support at my university that I could go too therefore I never dropped out and pulled myself together.
Motivation, I lacked this a lot sometimes. Sometimes I just couldn't be bothered with my coursework or putting the effort into it! I lacked the motivation to work on my own and get the books and what not, but I always managed to pull it together - I wouldn't suggest following this path!
Also this isn't as much a struggle as it's more of a regret but I seriously regret not outreaching more and pushing myself. I tried to start a poetry society and gave up so quickly, then just trying to join my SU and what not... I just wish I'd pushed myself more.

Tips for second year?
1. Realise that this second year now counts for an awful lot more than first year did! Realise that the work you do really does count towards something now so put your all into everything that you do!
2. If you have free time, do things for yourself, make sure you take plenty of time to have 'me' time and just chill out so you don't get stressed out and such.
3. Leave yourself plenty of time to do things and be prepared very far in advance to what you need to be, just make sure you are hands down on everything and you are prepared.
4. Sleep more at reasonable hours.
5. Keep track of my money in a much more mature way.

I think these are all the tips I have? They are more my personal aims for second year but I hope these help!
erm Hey! I have a few questions?
I am going to my last year of college and I have to decide what to study and where.. I always worked towards going to university but lately there have been a lot of other options such as an apprenticeship opportunity.. a good paying full time job. So wondering in your eyes is it worth going to university and what is the best option to get my degree and then find job or go into get experience and work my way up the ladder?

What is the best and worst thing about university?

H:smile:
Original post by GCSEPANIC
erm Hey! I have a few questions?
I am going to my last year of college and I have to decide what to study and where.. I always worked towards going to university but lately there have been a lot of other options such as an apprenticeship opportunity.. a good paying full time job. So wondering in your eyes is it worth going to university and what is the best option to get my degree and then find job or go into get experience and work my way up the ladder?

What is the best and worst thing about university?

H:smile:

Hello! Okay, let me break these down!

It's very hard to answer what you're asking to be honest, due to the fact university is based on each individual person, its a personal experience and though this is the obvious benefit of what you get from it, everyone will get there own experiences and what not from it!

The best thing about university:
It's social, it's hard work but in an educational environment surrounded by other people who share your worries, concerns, studies and what not - you always have someone to turn to be it other students, lecturer's and what not.
Lecturer's, they are so different to teachers! They will listen to ANY of your problems, they are there day and night for you, you can always have a laugh with them (again this is depending on the course and who leads it but still!) It's nice to know there is always support there!
Experiences, a big part of university is the experience in itself. There is so much you can gain from it! Not just course wise, social wise and much more! You learn life lessons, you develop yourself as a person, you have a specific comfortabble place to work and just, I don't know, it's really hard to explain!

The worst thing about university:
There isn't a lot! There is the usual things you can get with all education areas, there will be people that are idiots and maybe make you annoyed a lot of the time and sometimes not enjoy lectures or your time there.
There is a lot of stress involved, then again it depends what your like as a person in regards to stress and how you handle it - everyone is different.
Your learning is in your own hands! Now this can be seen as a positive and it is, because you control how you learn best and you can take full advantage of that, put you are no longer spoon fed answers etc and sometimes you may lose motivation or feel completely lost! You have to be prepared to motivate yourself etc!

So!:
"So wondering in your eyes is it worth going to university and what is the best option to get my degree and then find job or go into get experience and work my way up the ladder?"

Personally, I'd say yes, it's worth going to university because it's a worth while experience and you'll have a degree at the end of it that can help you get a multiude of jobs instead of being trained for one specific job!
Then again my advice to you is, you've got to do what feels right. If this apprenticeship is going to get you the job you want and you feel it's worth it, then, go for it! If you have the opportunity to get the job you want now, why wouldn't you? It's worth it, instead of working through years without hands of experience and then at the end of the three years going into a job without the experience, with the apprenticeship, you learn and get the experience! You could work your way up the ladder, but like you said, you've always been working towards university so all I can say is, do what feels right and just look at the pros and cons of both options. Research into them and what not!

Hope this helps or answers what you asked in some way!
Hello! Okay, let me break these down!

It's very hard to answer what you're asking to be honest, due to the fact university is based on each individual person, its a personal experience and though this is the obvious benefit of what you get from it, everyone will get there own experiences and what not from it!

The best thing about university:
It's social, it's hard work but in an educational environment surrounded by other people who share your worries, concerns, studies and what not - you always have someone to turn to be it other students, lecturer's and what not.
Lecturer's, they are so different to teachers! They will listen to ANY of your problems, they are there day and night for you, you can always have a laugh with them (again this is depending on the course and who leads it but still!) It's nice to know there is always support there!
Experiences, a big part of university is the experience in itself. There is so much you can gain from it! Not just course wise, social wise and much more! You learn life lessons, you develop yourself as a person, you have a specific comfortabble place to work and just, I don't know, it's really hard to explain!

The worst thing about university:
There isn't a lot! There is the usual things you can get with all education areas, there will be people that are idiots and maybe make you annoyed a lot of the time and sometimes not enjoy lectures or your time there.
There is a lot of stress involved, then again it depends what your like as a person in regards to stress and how you handle it - everyone is different.
Your learning is in your own hands! Now this can be seen as a positive and it is, because you control how you learn best and you can take full advantage of that, put you are no longer spoon fed answers etc and sometimes you may lose motivation or feel completely lost! You have to be prepared to motivate yourself etc!

So!:
"So wondering in your eyes is it worth going to university and what is the best option to get my degree and then find job or go into get experience and work my way up the ladder?"

Personally, I'd say yes, it's worth going to university because it's a worth while experience and you'll have a degree at the end of it that can help you get a multiude of jobs instead of being trained for one specific job!
Then again my advice to you is, you've got to do what feels right. If this apprenticeship is going to get you the job you want and you feel it's worth it, then, go for it! If you have the opportunity to get the job you want now, why wouldn't you? It's worth it, instead of working through years without hands of experience and then at the end of the three years going into a job without the experience, with the apprenticeship, you learn and get the experience! You could work your way up the ladder, but like you said, you've always been working towards university so all I can say is, do what feels right and just look at the pros and cons of both options. Research into them and what not!

Hope this helps or answers what you asked in some way!

Thank you so much, this actually helped a lot...I love the fact that you broke it down. I will take everything you said into consideration and of course do some research. Thank you for your time and goodluck with your degree!
H
Original post by GCSEPANIC
Thank you so much, this actually helped a lot...I love the fact that you broke it down. I will take everything you said into consideration and of course do some research. Thank you for your time and goodluck with your degree!
H

No problem at all. I'm glad I've been able to help in some way!
Always a message away should you have any other questions!

Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest