The Student Room Group

Laptops

Hello,

I have an unconditional offer for university next year. I have a laptop at the minute that is 5 years old. I am looking to upgrade my laptop when I start, hopefully get a decent one in the Christmas sales.

My budget will be £500 and the only requirement is that is has the full office on.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Reply 1
Why full Ms office. Open office or libre office are just as good and are free
Original post by tim_123
Why full Ms office. Open office or libre office are just as good and are free

They're really not better at all. Their UI's suck, compatibility is a mess still and they're nowhere as capable. The OP in the meantime should use Office Online instead, you get it with a Microsoft account so that you can do basic editing in the meantime. When they can afford Office, they can go and buy it then
Original post by charlieh5
Hello,

I have an unconditional offer for university next year. I have a laptop at the minute that is 5 years old. I am looking to upgrade my laptop when I start, hopefully get a decent one in the Christmas sales.

My budget will be £500 and the only requirement is that is has the full office on.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

You may be able to get Office for free if your University has a Microsoft Education Subscription...
Reply 4
Original post by marco14196
They're really not better at all. Their UI's suck, compatibility is a mess still and they're nowhere as capable. The OP in the meantime should use Office Online instead, you get it with a Microsoft account so that you can do basic editing in the meantime. When they can afford Office, they can go and buy it then

I've used libre office for years and the only problem I've ever had is running a macro someone created in Ms office. Anyway more to the point.

I was looking to get a laptop for uni around your budget as well, and at the moment I'm looking at getting a more custom one, seems to work out cheaper if you know what you need and what you don't
Definitely worth checking if your uni gives free Microsoft Office as many do. Most laptops will only come with a trial, so you will probably just have to buy the laptop and then Microsoft Office separately if you can't get it free.

Something like this is decent for the price - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-z50-15-6-laptop-white-10108704-pdt.html

I'd recommend at least Intel core 5 processor, 6gb ram and an ssd drive if you can get it :smile:
Original post by mobbsy91
You may be able to get Office for free if your University has a Microsoft Education Subscription...

+1

Most unis give you access to Office 365 for your studies now - check that the uni you're off to has it. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thank you all for your replies I will definitely be checking with my uni bonus if they do.
Reply 8
My plan is just to buy a nice high-capacity USB drive. I've got my desktop, and all the unis I like have lots of computing facilities, so I really don't need a laptop (even though I've got one atm)
Original post by charlieh5
Hello,

Any suggestions?

Thank you

If you are looking to buy in Christmas than you should be looking then not now, market changes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending