The Student Room Group

Chances of gaining a place on postgraudate course!

I've just submitted my application for a postgrad course! I've read on the Internet that it's relatively easy to gain a place on a postgraduate. I was wondering if anyone with experience might be able to offer up some clue or advice as to what they think my chances are.

Here are my circumstances, and things that might work against me:

- Application is a little last minute (course starts September!)

- My degree isn't as related to the course as it could be, but I do have good/related work experience in the area.

- University is in the top 30 ranked in the country.

- Personal statement was perhaps a little rushed/last minute (section on career aims could have been better and now wish I could re-write it)!
Reply 1
Depends on the uni, the course and the strength of the other candidates as well as the factors you mention.

The stock reply is that if you meet the stated basic entry requirements, then you have as much chance as other candidates. Anything beyond that is really just guesswork based on a big black box of unknowns.

As my own personal bit of guesswork, the fact that they haven't closed for applications this late in the academic year, at least means that there are still places available. That's probably the best I can do, although we have folks here in uni admissions so sit tight for more ideas.

Good luck!
If a uni believes a person can pass the course and see it through, at this stage of the year they might be keen to fill spaces because postgraduates bring money into the university.

Of course, it is possible to have an application rejected but in my experience this is not what happens the majority of the time.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks both for the replies and word of advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending