The Student Room Group

I think i might have Hirsutism and my Doctor won't even help me :(

Hi all, what a lovely forum this is! I was wondering could someone help me out here, this is really stressing me out.

I am 100% sure that I have Hirsutism. On my first visit to the doctors, I was told there isnt anything that can be done and she said that she cant "really" prescribe me Dianette due to the side effects. She didnt follow any kind of process to diagnose me with it, however, I did manage to get an appointment booked for a blood test. I was advised that I need to just deal with it myself.I did my own research on the NHS website so that I had information to go back to the doctors with. I have read that Eflornithine Cream can be effective. I decided to ask my doctor to prescribe me this and again she said I cant “really” prescribe it to you. She advised that I should still go ahead with the blood test to check my hormone levels. I said If the blood test comes back and there is something wrong with my hormone levels, you still cant treat the Hirsutism right?” Her response was no, sorry.I am struggling to understand why my doctor is being so unhelpful and refusing to prescribe me anything. This has to be most depressing and embarrasing thing for a woman to go through and to know that there are treatments available makes the situation even worse. Also, I don’t understand why she says she cant “really” prescribe me anything. What does that mean exactly? I am desperate for some help and good advice. Thanks in advance
Original post by thelostsoul
Hi all, what a lovely forum this is! I was wondering could someone help me out here, this is really stressing me out.

I am 100% sure that I have Hirsutism. On my first visit to the doctors, I was told there isnt anything that can be done and she said that she cant "really" prescribe me Dianette due to the side effects. She didnt follow any kind of process to diagnose me with it, however, I did manage to get an appointment booked for a blood test. I was advised that I need to just deal with it myself.I did my own research on the NHS website so that I had information to go back to the doctors with. I have read that Eflornithine Cream can be effective. I decided to ask my doctor to prescribe me this and again she said I cant “really” prescribe it to you. She advised that I should still go ahead with the blood test to check my hormone levels. I said If the blood test comes back and there is something wrong with my hormone levels, you still cant treat the Hirsutism right?” Her response was no, sorry.I am struggling to understand why my doctor is being so unhelpful and refusing to prescribe me anything. This has to be most depressing and embarrasing thing for a woman to go through and to know that there are treatments available makes the situation even worse. Also, I don’t understand why she says she cant “really” prescribe me anything. What does that mean exactly? I am desperate for some help and good advice. Thanks in advance

Ask for a second doctors opinion. Have you asked whether another form of hormonal contraceptive would be a possibility? would be better than nothing.
Original post by thelostsoul

Drs dont generally like the prescribe the creams as there isnt enough research into them and hirsutism, and depending on your weight the contraceptive pill may not be ideal due to the side effects.
I have hirsutism myself and they cant do anything so i have to use hair removal cream

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest