The Student Room Group

Career Path Advice?

Hi,

Could do with some advice on a good career path to take for good salary and work life balance.

I have Masters in Mechanical Engineering, and am now coming to the end of year 1 of a 2 year scheme. The first year has been commercial(so jack of all trades master of none) and been round departments like supply chain, projects, finance, marketing but most experience so far been in purchasing/supply chain. The second year will be more manufacturing based so will likely come out as a Manufacturing Engineer.

I want to retire early through saving and investing so ideally want fast way to get to the stage where I'm earning a lot of money (£50k+)whilst still maintaining a normal-ish work life balance most of the time.

I'm not sure whether this scheme will offer me the best method of achieving this (sort of being used as an extra pair of hands at the moment– it’s a smaller company, the scheme is disorganised so thinking of leaving and feel like I’m not making most of career) and am still flexible to where my career will go.

I could quit the scheme after year one and go back on the mechanical engineering route for example and progress to manager but would need to go back as a graduate as have no Mech Eng experience this may delay my career progression.

Or e.g. I could take a different route and go procurement - procurement manager - supply chain manager. Not averse to finance or consultancy either necessarily.

So where can I go from here? Open to anything really but any advice for what the best opportunity for a good salary/fast progression and W/L balance with my current qualifications and experience(Engineering masters and 1 year of commercial in manufacturing company) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending