The Student Room Group

University Flatmates & Relationships

Ok so over the last few days i have found out who im going to be staying with in September for University. I have noticed that all my flatmates are in relationships and i am not, is this going to affect me in any way shape or form? I almost get the feeling that they may not want to go out as much as single people like me want to, and will be reserved and possibly have their boy/girlfriends over to stay often. I feel like this will impact my experience as i could feel a bit cut off if im unable to meet others. Am i making too much of a big deal out of this? Is this something that you have experienced? The girls on my floor are seriously attractive which is a huge bummer for me haha. Do you often find that you would make friends with people on the floor above/below? Need some advice/peoples experiences when living in halls and that. It would be seriously appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so over the last few days i have found out who im going to be staying with in September for University. I have noticed that all my flatmates are in relationships and i am not, is this going to affect me in any way shape or form? I almost get the feeling that they may not want to go out as much as single people like me want to, and will be reserved and possibly have their boy/girlfriends over to stay often. I feel like this will impact my experience as i could feel a bit cut off if im unable to meet others. Am i making too much of a big deal out of this? Is this something that you have experienced? The girls on my floor are seriously attractive which is a huge bummer for me haha. Do you often find that you would make friends with people on the floor above/below? Need some advice/peoples experiences when living in halls and that. It would be seriously appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Your flatmates shouldn't determine your outlook on uni, and yes you can make friends anywhere around the campus, just put yourself about.
Reply 2
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Your flatmates shouldn't determine your outlook on uni, and yes you can make friends anywhere around the campus, just put yourself about.

Thanks for the advice! I just feel as if im inclined to interact mainly with the guys in my flat rather than just going to another floor to see other people. But i suppose uni is about me and finding what i want to do. Cheers for the help!
If you're looking for a potential partner make as much interaction with the floor above as possible.

Some of my flatmates ended their relationship first year of uni.
Reply 4
Original post by The_Blade
If you're looking for a potential partner make as much interaction with the floor above as possible.

Some of my flatmates ended their relationship first year of uni.

Ive heard plenty of stories of people ending relationships before and during uni due to it probably not working out. I guess ill have to make an extra effort to get to know people from floors above or below! Its not the fact i want to have a chance with a girl on my floor, its the fact that i feel as if i wont be going out or interacting as much if you get what i mean! :smile: Thanks for the response
Original post by Anonymous
Ive heard plenty of stories of people ending relationships before and during uni due to it probably not working out. I guess ill have to make an extra effort to get to know people from floors above or below! Its not the fact i want to have a chance with a girl on my floor, its the fact that i feel as if i wont be going out or interacting as much if you get what i mean! :smile: Thanks for the response

Nah your floor will go to clubs together so you'll be interacting a lot. If their bf/gf won't allow them to go to clubs then they're a55holes. Most partners would give them reasonable amount of freedom.

and np :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Relationships change a lot at the start of uni, people with the strongest relationships break up and people get new partners at uni. It won't make a difference what your room mates relationship statuses are cause they'll probably change. Plus you may find someone you like too! :smile: just relax and it'll be the best time of your life
Reply 7
Original post by Hevachan
Relationships change a lot at the start of uni, people with the strongest relationships break up and people get new partners at uni. It won't make a difference what your room mates relationship statuses are cause they'll probably change. Plus you may find someone you like too! :smile: just relax and it'll be the best time of your life

Thanks so much for the reassuring reply! :biggrin: Ill do my best to have the time of my life! Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending