The Student Room Group

What is wrong with the student left?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
The left is no more 'oppressive' than the right.
With right-wingers, if you think free-market capitalism is wrong and generally detrimental to social advancement in the long run, you're naïve and stupid and obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
If you dare not to laugh at a racist, sexist or homophobic joke, or if there's a glaring example of inequality that you feel the need to speak up about, you're a humourless loony latte liberal PC leftie luvvie who lives in an ivory tower in north London who is totally out of touch with the Silent Majority.
If you do not conform to the received view that immigration is a Bad Thing that is detrimental to Britain in every way, you're an unpatriotic idiot and perhaps you'd like to have x number of immigrants in your back garden.
If you're not rabidly and irrationally Islamophobic, you're a dangerous hypocritical traitor who is undermining the fundamentals of British society.
Same goes if you don't support taking away fundamental rights and freedoms like the freedom to wear what you want or the freedom to not be tortured by the state in the name of combatting radical Islam.
If you support gay marriage, you're undermining an ancient and vital pillar of society.
And God help you if you support Labour, of course.

Absolutely ridiculous, you are attributing virtues to the right that belong only to the left.

As a liberal, I'm probably as right-wing as you can get. I don't believe government should intervene in the economy (with limited exception) and I don't believe government should pay for healthcare or other forms of welfare. But, at the same time, I fundamentally believe that everyone has the right to speak their mind (including Nazis, racists, Stalinists and communists) and I believe government has no right to curtail such basic freedoms.

You will notice that it is always the left-wing governments that ban freedom of speech. It was Labour that introduced the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 that expressly forbid people voicing opinions the government did not like. The government has made 'racist, sexist or homophobic jokes' illegal and people are in prison right now for making those jokes.

The right-wing's ideology can be summed up in two words, 'freedom to.' I should have every right to be racist just as you should have every right to be homophobic.
With regards to free speech you cannot criticise Islam in the UK. It's seen as hate speech and is tantamount to blasphemy law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending