The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE History answer structure?

I am unsure how to structure my answers for 4, 6 and 10 markers in history and have frequently been dropping marks because of this in PPQs, could someone post the structure required for these questions?

If it is important, I am studying the modules; Treaty of Versailles, Origins of WW2, Origins of the Cold War, The USA in the 20s, The USA post-depression and Vietnam .
Reply 1
4 Markers = 3 Points and explain them briefly.
6 Mark = (Source Qs) - Swipe the source.
10 Marks = brief description of one side then explain points then conclude relevant to the point in the Q and then same with other side.
Reply 2
4 marks - Just remember: 3 points well made. So, for example, if you got a question about the Origins of WWII, lets take this years as an example; it asked you about Hitler's main aims. Therefore, we would take 3: Overturn the TOV, Destroy Communism and Anschluss. Then you'd give examples of when he did this - dates, events etc... 3 points well made + Explanation for each = 4 marks.

6 marks - for analysing the source alone, with no knowledge whatsoever, you can achieve 5/6 marks if done properly - so ideally, you really need to know how to do this. I always talked about: Nature, Origin, Purpose, Accuracy, Reliability, Knowledge, Limitations and Overall Judgement - that 100% secured ALL 6 marks (you need knowledge for all 6). By doing this, there is no reason not to get 6.

10 marks - 3 points well made, again! 3 points well made for one bullet point and 3 points well made for the other - then conclude. You should write 3 paragraphs in total. If we are talking about Origins of WWII again, I always used to say that I agree with both bullet points being causes of WWII; however, I used to say that one was a SHORT TERM effect and one was a LONG TERM - by doing this, I never received lower than 9 marks.

If you'd like to know anymore about Paper 1, and if I can help you with Paper 2 - then I will gladly help. Just PM me. I hope you found this somewhat helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by Cal1999
4 marks - Just remember: 3 points well made. So, for example, if you got a question about the Origins of WWII, lets take this years as an example; it asked you about Hitler's main aims. Therefore, we would take 3: Overturn the TOV, Destroy Communism and Anschluss. Then you'd give examples of when he did this - dates, events etc... 3 points well made + Explanation for each = 4 marks.

6 marks - for analysing the source alone, with no knowledge whatsoever, you can achieve 5/6 marks if done properly - so ideally, you really need to know how to do this. I always talked about: Nature, Origin, Purpose, Accuracy, Reliability, Knowledge, Limitations and Overall Judgement - that 100% secured ALL 6 marks (you need knowledge for all 6). By doing this, there is no reason not to get 6.

10 marks - 3 points well made, again! 3 points well made for one bullet point and 3 points well made for the other - then conclude. You should write 3 paragraphs in total. If we are talking about Origins of WWII again, I always used to say that I agree with both bullet points being causes of WWII; however, I used to say that one was a SHORT TERM effect and one was a LONG TERM - by doing this, I never received lower than 9 marks.

If you'd like to know anymore about Paper 1, and if I can help you with Paper 2 - then I will gladly help. Just PM me. I hope you found this somewhat helpful.

Thank you very much for your answer :biggrin: Found it really useful. For 6 mark questions is the structure similar to the controlled assessment answer?
Reply 4
Original post by nonon41
Thank you very much for your answer :biggrin: Found it really useful. For 6 mark questions is the structure similar to the controlled assessment answer?

I'd say so, yes. But as long as you do everything I said - you'll easily get six marks.

As you're doing some topics that I did, you can PM me for some resources if you like.
Hi, could you put the structure for the paper 2 up please? I found your paper 1 so useful. Also, should I base the whole of my 6 marker off the source and only use relevant knowledge or should I make separate points? Thanks :smile:. My exam is tomorrow ahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending