The Student Room Group

Nirvana are the most overrated band ever.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
To an extent, cobain was a good songwriter, but not this tragic genius - still, the Beatles are the most overrated band,

Lennon > Cobain.
I don't really hear people raving about them that much, so I'm gonna vote no.
Reply 22
To an extent, cobain was a good songwriter, but not this tragic genius - still, the Beatles are the most overrated band,

This!!! Completely agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nirvana were good though but yh they are overrated like the beatles. But tbf loads of artists are like Bieber and amy Winehouse just to name a few

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Aneesah_May
Nirvana were good though but yh they are overrated like the beatles. But tbf loads of artists are like Bieber and amy Winehouse just to name a few

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beatles were good, completely agree with Amy Winehouse though.
Never heard of them. So I'd say they can't be overrated, since they're already irrelevant.
Original post by JoeL1994
Beatles were good, completely agree with Amy Winehouse though.

The Beatles are like Elvis - with how highly they're rated they can't not be somewhat overrated

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Beatles are like Elvis - with how highly they're rated they can't not be somewhat overrated

They must have been doing something right in order to be as popular as they were, back in the days when they were active when music wasn't as convenient a thing as it is today. Literally everyone who was into music at that time loved both of them in the 50's and 60's respectively.
Bleach was a good album, but a bit rough and a little blunt around the edges. It had potential, but you could tell they needed better editing and creative control. Nevermind is an all time greatest album. They managed to get that great garage grunge sound from the first album, and shape and mould it into something commercially viable, with subvert pop influences. In Utero was a risky move, but it was pretty good. They moved on from Nevermind and although the album wasn't perfect it managed to capture a new and deeper sound. All the other compilation bits are hit and miss really, some work well and others just fall flat.

Nirvana are a good band, but not great. However I think it is fair that they are recognised for their work, and I wouldn't call them over-rated. Still they are stand alone figures in grunge for those unfamiliar with it, and I can understand why people would call them over-rated when other big name bands in the genre such as Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains get a lot less attention and praise.
Lol at people wear band t-shirts they've never heard of
Reply 30
Original post by Swanbow
Bleach was a good album, but a bit rough and a little blunt around the edges. It had potential, but you could tell they needed better editing and creative control. Nevermind is an all time greatest album. They managed to get that great garage grunge sound from the first album, and shape and mould it into something commercially viable, with subvert pop influences. In Utero was a risky move, but it was pretty good. They moved on from Nevermind and although the album wasn't perfect it managed to capture a new and deeper sound. All the other compilation bits are hit and miss really, some work well and others just fall flat.

Nirvana are a good band, but not great. However I think it is fair that they are recognised for their work, and I wouldn't call them over-rated. Still they are stand alone figures in grunge for those unfamiliar with it, and I can understand why people would call them over-rated when other big name bands in the genre such as Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains get a lot less attention and praise.

A sound argument, but In Utero was written solely to drive people away from their music.
A sound argument, but In Utero was written solely to drive people away from their music.

Well Cobain was always unhappy with the sort of following and fame that Nevermind brought, as well as the sound of the album. He just really had it out against the record company and producers hence going for a very bespoke set up for In Utero. In Utero was meant to shake things up and bring the band back to earth so to speak, but with hits like Heart Shaped Box and Dumb there was at least something to keep those lot entertained. A lot of people still hated it, but it was more of an album for the band itself really.
Original post by lustawny
They must have been doing something right in order to be as popular as they were, back in the days when they were active when music wasn't as convenient a thing as it is today. Literally everyone who was into music at that time loved both of them in the 50's and 60's respectively.

Well yes, but that's besides the point - Elvis was good, but that's it: and yet he's got something of a cult around him, regarded as a king; likewise the Beatles and the bigger than jesus stuff - when they're so highly regarded its impossible not to be overrated, because they weren't that good and neither has anyone else been

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yes, but that's besides the point - Elvis was good, but that's it: and yet he's got something of a cult around him, regarded as a king; likewise the Beatles and the bigger than jesus stuff - when they're so highly regarded its impossible not to be overrated, because they weren't that good and neither has anyone else been

What makes you think that The Beatles "weren't that good", just out of interest? Are you basing this on personal opinion?
Original post by lustawny
What makes you think that The Beatles "weren't that good", just out of interest? Are you basing this on personal opinion?

Well personally I think they're lowest derivative tripe, abysmal songwriters and not that good performers, but the point is that no one, not even the best band, is good enough to be referred to as a king, bigger than jesus

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're definitely overrated, but they're decent enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
no not really
No, no, no, no. If you look any further into Nirvana than their top hits you will see that they were extremely important. Kurt Cobain was a visionary and the ideas and message behind his music was very progressive. They have been hugely influential and have a lot of underrated songs believe it or not. They stuck to their roots, never sold out and in an era where pop was taking over they flipped the music industry.
Reply 38
haha i didn't even know they existed until they rose to fame again in like 2015 or something. now i hear them more than ever and it's doing my head in.
Reply 39
Discuss.

:merry:

Quick Reply

Latest