The Student Room Group

The Government wants to jail online pirates for 10 years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GuppyFox
I'm not saying it is fair - obviously there's a balance between no copyright law and extremely strict law like ours right now.

But why are we making a few people mega rich?
Dyson could've been absorbed into a company in a high position, make lots and help innovate further, and his cool tech would've been spread around to all people not just the rich few who could afford it. Everyone wins really I think. Plus, there could be more Dyson's about and tech progress would possibly accelerate.

If you're going down that path you're arguing a whole different philosophy to the world.
One the world and the majority of its inhabitants has refused.

The world is capitalist, deal with it. If someone makes something that you want, you need to buy it. He chose to do it his way, just as Mr Ford did; nobody's making you buy them. I've got no time for that particular brand of lefty utopian idealism. The world doesn't work that way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Absolutely crazy. Rather than accepting that piracy is the result of the motion picture and music industries not adapting to the 21st Century, they are using their influence over politicians to incriminate people for nothing. Regardless, the only thing this will achieve is causing more people to invest in VPNs so the changes are pointless to begin with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Drewski
If you're going down that path you're arguing a whole different philosophy to the world.

The world is capitalist, deal with it. If someone makes something that you want, you need to buy it. He chose to do it his way, just as Mr Ford did; nobody's making you buy them. I've got no time for that particular brand of lefty utopian idealism. The world doesn't work that way.

So you think there's no flaws in capitalism?

I don't think we are doing bad off of it, but that doesn't mean we have to sit down and shut up about things we don't like, especially when like piracy there are easily fixable flaws with no harm to anyone.
So you think there's no flaws in capitalism?

I don't think we are doing bad off of it, but that doesn't mean we have to sit down and shut up about things we don't like, especially when like piracy there are easily fixable flaws with no harm to anyone.

No system is flawless, but the status quo has a lot fewer flaws. Principally, though, it has the incentive to create. Without that humans would have never left the cave.
Reply 84
Original post by Drewski

Many capitalists support repealing these laws as they consider them state granted monopolies, the Manchester Liberals were outspoken about Victorian copyright laws as being against free trade
Original post by Drewski
What's the incentive to invest and create something if you're not going to be compensated for it?

Because you will be compensated for it. If you give people a better service than they get by pirating, people will buy your product. This is precisely the reason why services like Steam (for games), Bandcamp (for audio) and HumbleBundle (for everything) are so successful - they provide a good and convenient service that has the interests of the consumers in mind (e.g Bandcamp and HumbleBundle provide DRM-free media which means consumers actually own the things they buy rather than being bogged down by endless T&Cs) and also make the media affordable. Both Bandcamp and HumbleBundle use "Pay what you want" models but they give benefits to people who give more. The result is that whilst they sell products at lower prices than retail, particularly in the case of HB, they sell a huge quantity. I've spent a significant amount of money on HB, much of that going towards things that I would never in a million years have bought for the full-price. And it works - all of these websites are highly successful. Because of places like Steam and Humble Bundle, I have never pirated a video game. It simply doesn't make sense when I can support the developers at prices that I can afford using very good quality services. Unfortunately, equivalents like these do not exist for the motion picture industry and haven't been adopted widely enough in the audio industry.

In short, if you give people a good service (and even better, adopt a pay-what-you-want model, within reason), they will buy your product.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
Many capitalists support repealing these laws as they consider them state granted monopolies, the Manchester Liberals were outspoken about Victorian copyright laws as being against free trade

And it's 100+ years later and those laws are still in place.
Original post by Plagioclase
Because you will be compensated for it. If you give people a better service than they get by pirating, people will buy your product. This is precisely the reason why services like Steam (for games), Bandcamp (for audio) and HumbleBundle (for everything) are so successful - they provide a good and convenient service that has the interests of the consumers in mind (e.g Bandcamp and HumbleBundle provide DRM-free media which means consumers actually own the things they buy rather than being bogged down by endless T&Cs) and also make the media affordable. Both Bandcamp and HumbleBundle use "Pay what you want" models but they give benefits to people who give more. The result is that whilst they sell products at lower prices than retail, particularly in the case of HB, they sell a huge quantity. I've spent a significant amount of money on HB, much of that going towards things that I would never in a million years have bought for the full-price. And it works - all of these websites are highly successful. Because of places like Steam and Humble Bundle, I have never pirated a video game. It simply doesn't make sense when I can support the developers at prices that I can afford using very good quality services. Unfortunately, equivalents like these do not exist for the motion picture industry and haven't been adopted widely enough in the audio industry.

In short, if you give people a good service (and even better, adopt a pay-what-you-want model, within reason), they will buy your product.

Exactly. But that doesn't fall within the scope of this conversation where people believe they have the right to pay nothing.
Reply 88
Original post by Plagioclase

I do want to know how wide-spread this business model could work and keep working.

But I am rather jealous of it being a console gamer. I too also hope the movie industry wakes up one day and allows stuff like this to happen.
Reply 89
Original post by Drewski
And it's 100+ years later and those laws are still in place.

Lots of bad laws still in place, big business benefits from these laws at the expense of competition and free trade so block reform
Original post by whorace
Lots of bad laws still in place, big business benefits from these laws at the expense of competition and free trade so block reform

Yet it's been shown that time and time again a small company with a great idea will break it's way into the market on the back of one great innovation.

If laws truly favoured "big business" that would never happen.
If you said Yes you are most likely a hypocrite. Most people have downloaded from these pirates.
Original post by Kill illuminati
If you said Yes you are most likely a hypocrite. Most people have downloaded from these pirates.

How exactly does it make you a hypocrite necessarily?
Original post by Drewski
If you want me to try and make you feel better about stealing, I'm not going to.

I tried to bear that in mind, but...

Sharing a DVD in the comfort of your own home is covered by the license you tacitly accept when you buy it. Sharing it online with multiple people you don't know isn't. It violates the licensing, so is a criminal act.

(Ignoring the wall of text that arrives in cue every damn time I stick a DVD in my DVD player)
How is one any different from the other? Because the wall of text said so? Pfft. Let's examine this further.

Watching a film I recently bought (not second-hand, despite most of the films that I buy are actually second-hand but although that issue is attached to this debate I'll let it go for now) with other people who didn't buy the film, say, my family and/or friends is morally ok and perfectly legal.

But what if I invite strangers into my house to watch the film with me? Ok that's kinda weird, but suppose I met them at a gig or something and they had missed the last train home but I was pissed and they seemed like a cool group of dudes so I said they could crash on my floor for the night.
Ignoring the fact that they're technically no longer strangers as we drunkenly bonded over our love of metal and beer on the long walk back to mine, is that situation also morally ok and perfectly legal?

Oh ****, my DVD player broke! But hey, my mate's got one... aw damn, he's having a house party. Well, it's better than moping I suppose.
*2 hours later*
Hey guys, I think the sound system just kicked the bucket. Looks like we're out of tunes. But it's cool, I've got this DVD on me. Everyone cool with watching it? Yeah? Rad.
Is the absurd situation above morally ok and perfectly legal?

If so, how is sharing it online not?
There should be no difference between sharing it with one and sharing it with many. Either you can share, or you can't.

This debate also questions the correlations between morals and legality (is it legal to share a film online? As per the wall of text at the start of a DVD, no. But morally? The only thing that differs from the above situations if the amount of people that have access to it), but that's a whole other can of worms.

Apologies if you've already covered this, I haven't read the whole thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
All those people claiming they haven't/don't pirate are filthy liars. If you've ever searched youtube for a song or movie, chances are you've seen copyright infringing content without knowing it. Better spread them cheeks for a prison cavity search.
Reply 95
Original post by Fango_Jett
All those people claiming they haven't/don't pirate are filthy liars. If you've ever searched youtube for a song or movie, chances are you've seen copyright infringing content without knowing it. Better spread them cheeks for a prison cavity search.

That reminds me that people are not necessarily in full knowledge that they are posting copyrighted material - if you're streaming a game onto YouTube for instance certain devs don't care and love it, whilst Nintendo think it is copyright abuse unless they get a cut from the profits. Where is the line drawn?
That reminds me that people are not necessarily in full knowledge that they are posting copyrighted material - if you're streaming a game onto YouTube for instance certain devs don't care and love it, whilst Nintendo think it is copyright abuse unless they get a cut from the profits. Where is the line drawn?

Pretty much on feasibility of enforcement. If they can't feasibly enforce something, they just let it slide. It's just not worth the time and effort to go ahead and start shutting people down on YT and Twitch.

Original post by Fango_Jett
Pretty much on feasibility of enforcement. If they can't feasibly enforce something, they just let it slide. It's just not worth the time and effort to go ahead and start shutting people down on YT and Twitch.

That's a good example actually. It's very, very easy to enforce - YouTube if anything are completely overzealous with pulling down copyrighted content when a claim is made to the extent that many channels have struggled challenging incorrect claims when their use of content is perfectly legal. The developers and published in question nearly all choose to let this happen. Why? Because this is one form of piracy that is actually beneficial to them: people watching the game on YouTube or Twitch are far more likely to go and buy it as a result of that when they otherwise wouldn't have done, than decide not to because they can watch it online anyway.
Holy crap, I'm going to prison :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending