The Student Room Group

2016 Application - HELP!!

Hello,

I am new here, so sorry if this has already been answered or previously posted.

I'm 22 and am looking to start uni next September - I have begun filling out my UCAS application but I can't seem to find my A Level results/certificates anywhere. I already know my overall grades for my subject but as I did a BTEC in Art & Design UCAS is asking for the modules and which grade I achieved for each one.

I left school a while ago now so I can't for the life of me remember what I got in every module. I also can't work out which BTEC to put down on the application, there are a few different ones listed but they all seem to have triple marks, whereas I finished with a MP.

I would also be interested in finding out more about what other peoples experiences have been as a mature student. I am worried about going into uni and not making friends as I will be slightly older than everyone else there.
Also, I am looking at a couple of universities at the moment; Coventry and Brighton. I want to do either a Digital Marketing or Marketing degree - I have worked in a marketing role since last October so will the universities take my work experience into consideration as I am worried the grades I finished with are not good enough to get in but I don't want to do an access course to get in.

Any advice is welcome!

Reply 1
Original post by mmoane93
Hello,

I am new here, so sorry if this has already been answered or previously posted.

I'm 22 and am looking to start uni next September - I have begun filling out my UCAS application but I can't seem to find my A Level results/certificates anywhere. I already know my overall grades for my subject but as I did a BTEC in Art & Design UCAS is asking for the modules and which grade I achieved for each one.

I left school a while ago now so I can't for the life of me remember what I got in every module. I also can't work out which BTEC to put down on the application, there are a few different ones listed but they all seem to have triple marks, whereas I finished with a MP.

I would also be interested in finding out more about what other peoples experiences have been as a mature student. I am worried about going into uni and not making friends as I will be slightly older than everyone else there.
Also, I am looking at a couple of universities at the moment; Coventry and Brighton. I want to do either a Digital Marketing or Marketing degree - I have worked in a marketing role since last October so will the universities take my work experience into consideration as I am worried the grades I finished with are not good enough to get in but I don't want to do an access course to get in.

Any advice is welcome!

Hi there,
You can order a new set of certificates or a statement of results directly from your awarding body to help you get clarification on the types of qualification you hold and the grades. I wouldn't worry too much about being 22, I started uni a couple of years later than everyone else, but it really didn't hold me back at all. If anything I feel it meant I was in a better position when I started University as I had a bit more 'real world' experience under my belt. At Coventry each application is assessed on an individual basis, so if you want to chat more about your application, give our admissions team a call and they'll be happy to help: 024 7765 2222 :smile:

Best of luck!
- Josh

Hi! First off, good luck with your plan. I made the decision to return to education last year and so far haven't regretted it for a minute. Most mature students I've met so far feel the same.

I have the same worries you do about fitting in (due to start uni this Sep), but it's potentially more of a problem for me as I'm significantly older than you. I don't know how I'll relate to people who think Back to the Future is an old movie (or, worse, haven't even heard of it)! I would've thought for you, being only a few years older than the typical age students, the difference won't be too great. Most mature students I've spoken to (or interacted with on this forum) who've been through it have said it's not really been a problem.

It's great you're cracking on with your UCAS application - you're very organised doing it so far in advance - but I think your priority at the moment should be to contact your prospective unis to ask them about your current suitability for the courses you're considering applying for. I didn't particularly want to do an Access course either, but this time last year I contacted a few unis and it soon became obvious that my HE options would be extremely limited without doing one. Unis might view your case differently, as your A-Levels probably weren't too long ago and you mentioned potentially relevant work experience (by contrast, I did A-Levels yonks ago and I've got no work experience relevant to the degree I want to do). However, this is something you need to find out. If it turns out Access will improve your HE prospects, you'll need to look around for an Access course you can start this Sep.
Reply 3
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Hi! First off, good luck with your plan. I made the decision to return to education last year and so far haven't regretted it for a minute. Most mature students I've met so far feel the same.

I have the same worries you do about fitting in (due to start uni this Sep), but it's potentially more of a problem for me as I'm significantly older than you. I don't know how I'll relate to people who think Back to the Future is an old movie (or, worse, haven't even heard of it)! I would've thought for you, being only a few years older than the typical age students, the difference won't be too great. Most mature students I've spoken to (or interacted with on this forum) who've been through it have said it's not really been a problem.

It's great you're cracking on with your UCAS application - you're very organised doing it so far in advance - but I think your priority at the moment should be to contact your prospective unis to ask them about your current suitability for the courses you're considering applying for. I didn't particularly want to do an Access course either, but this time last year I contacted a few unis and it soon became obvious that my HE options would be extremely limited without doing one. Unis might view your case differently, as your A-Levels probably weren't too long ago and you mentioned potentially relevant work experience (by contrast, I did A-Levels yonks ago and I've got no work experience relevant to the degree I want to do). However, this is something you need to find out. If it turns out Access will improve your HE prospects, you'll need to look around for an Access course you can start this Sep.

Thanks so much for your reply!
You've given me a lot to think about but yes, I think you are right. The next step for me would be to give my chosen universities a call and see where to go from there. How have you found the access course? I have looked into it and I can't find any that even slightly relate to my chosen subject, hence not really wanting to do one but I would speak to the uni and ask them which one would be suitable perhaps!

That's good news that people that have already been in our position don't think it is that big of an issue, makes me feel slightly less nervous about going!

Thanks again :smile:
Thanks so much for your reply! How have you found the access course? I have looked into it and I can't find any that even slightly relate to my chosen subject, hence not really wanting to do one but I would speak to the uni and ask them which one would be suitable perhaps!

No worries. I'm not exactly sure which Access course is suitable for Marketing, but I'd be surprised if a Humanities type route isn't. Your unis can advise, and you even might be really lucky and find they're happy to take you with your existing experience & qualifications.

I say, "be really lucky", not because Access is a bad course - quite the opposite, in fact. But, assuming you're working now and would want or need to continue working, it may be difficult to manage both the course workload and your paid employment workload. There are numerous people on this forum who disagree with me and think that balancing employment and Access isn't that hard, so I suppose the fairest thing to say is that it's a subjective matter. I found it a challenging year doing Access, but then if I'd also been in a position where I'd needed to work (I wasn't), I'd have just had to get on with it and perhaps might be giving you a different impression.

Anyway...Access is a good uni prep course and has certainly boosted my confidence. I don't feel I've had lesser preparation than A-Level students. In fact, in some ways, Access is better, since you get a thorough grounding in writing essays (including formal academic referencing), for example.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending