The Student Room Group

communications studies

hi, I'm just thinking - what kind of emplyoment prospects would a Communications Studies and French course from the Nottingham uni give me? At the moment I am interested in PR/events management, but I've been also thinking about becoming a consultant.. Would I have a chance of joining a company such as McKinsey/Deloitte/Accenture etc. with such a degree (provided that I graduate with a first/upper second), or would it be considered as a "mickey mouse" subject?

thanks a lot for your opinions :smile:
Reply 1
Mickey mouse, stick with the languages.
Reply 2
even though it is a joint degree with French (which is traditional)? :frown:
Either do management with french or do one of them alone. Dont go for the funny sounding degrees even if its at nottingham.
Reply 4
Hey,

I did this BA Honours in Mickey Mouse in 1999. (Language & Communication). It's a nice enough subject - I genuinely enjoyed it - but nothing special to attract employers as it does sound suitably vague. Languages are a brilliant skill. I'd suggest those.
My friend at Uni at the same time did languages (French and German) with European Business and she is some big shot at JP Morgan now!
She also loved her time spent in both Germany and France during her 4 years.

As for me, I've regrouped (7 years on) and hope to start a
BSc Speech Therapy in 2007. God bless the vocational degree!:smile:
Reply 5
Monii
hi, I'm just thinking - what kind of emplyoment prospects would a Communications Studies and French course from the Nottingham uni give me? At the moment I am interested in PR/events management, but I've been also thinking about becoming a consultant.. Would I have a chance of joining a company such as McKinsey/Deloitte/Accenture etc. with such a degree (provided that I graduate with a first/upper second), or would it be considered as a "mickey mouse" subject?

thanks a lot for your opinions :smile:

Sounds a load of *******s to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending