The Student Room Group

I think I'm a modest narcassist

I am generally modest about my abilities and don't tend to brag about them to the whole world. When I'm complimented I'll usually be modest about it and often claim to not be whatever they claim me to be. But the thing is I know that while I'm not the best in the world at anything that I'm in many ways far better than the majority of people in my school. For example when it comes to grades while I don't believe myself to be a genius I do know I'm above average intelligence compared to my classmates due to me constantly getting top grades usually the highest in the class.

I also enjoy being checked out by girls and have recently begun to take pleasure in looking at my own reflection in the mirror. As much as I hate it I can't help comparing my face to that of other guys in my year and although I don't think I'm the hottest guy in my year I often find myself thinking that I'm far more attractive than many boys.

I know this makes me sound like a douche and self absorbed but it seems to be what I've began to believe deep down. What should I do about this?
Original post by Anonymous
I am generally modest about my abilities and don't tend to brag about them to the whole world. When I'm complimented I'll usually be modest about it and often claim to not be whatever they claim me to be. But the thing is I know that while I'm not the best in the world at anything that I'm in many ways far better than the majority of people in my school. For example when it comes to grades while I don't believe myself to be a genius I do know I'm above average intelligence compared to my classmates due to me constantly getting top grades usually the highest in the class.

I also enjoy being checked out by girls and have recently begun to take pleasure in looking at my own reflection in the mirror. As much as I hate it I can't help comparing my face to that of other guys in my year and although I don't think I'm the hottest guy in my year I often find myself thinking that I'm far more attractive than many boys.

I know this makes me sound like a douche and self absorbed but it seems to be what I've began to believe deep down. What should I do about this?

No, you're not a narcissist, just a bit swell headed/vain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound fine to me. Like you have self-confidence but not arrogance. Carry on :smile:
Being modest is as annoying as not claiming what they claim you to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

You're fine, pal. More than fine.

You do all the right things in front of people so as not to come across as a douche, whilst having really healthy self-esteem. Don't worry about any of what you just said - you absolutely have the perfect combination, so just keep it up.

The only tiny critique would be that your self-worth should stem from your inherent qualities and abilities, rather than merely being relative to other people. Of course, this is easier said than changed, as other people offer the only benchmark, other than your past self.
I agree with other people, you sound ok. IMO, the only thing is you should always be mindful of your short comings and try to constanly improve yourself. Take pride in your looks and abilities but dont lord that over people or think it makes you better than anyone, its ok if you are a bit vain sometimes though. Just my two cents though, its a nice mentality you have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending