The Student Room Group

Depression, anxiety and Medical School

If anyone has studied Medicine or is studying Medicine your advise would be helpful to me.

I've wanted to study Medicine for a long time but I suffer from depression and anxiety which almost caused me to drop out of A-Levels. I carried on but it was really difficult and took a toll on my health.

Eventually I was put on anti-depressants after feeling suicidal and I saw a counselor privately. I'm no longer on medication or seeing a counselor - I'm relatively stable but I do get bouts of anxiety and very low mood.

I'm worried about my ability to cope at medical school because I need to be around a support network which has been my family - I'll move away from them if I go to medical school. I'm also worried about how stressful the course will be because stress causes my anxiety which makes my depression worse which leads to suicidal feelings.

My family think that I should choose a less stressful degree and go to a university closer to home so that they can support me and so that the degree doesn't cause too much stress.

What are your opinions? Would a medical degree be too much for someone like me? It's hard because academically I'm strong but mentally/emotionally I'm fragile.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
If anyone has studied Medicine or is studying Medicine your advise would be helpful to me.

I've wanted to study Medicine for a long time but I suffer from depression and anxiety which almost caused me to drop out of A-Levels. I carried on but it was really difficult and took a toll on my health.

Eventually I was put on anti-depressants and I saw a counselor privately. I'm no longer on medication or seeing a counselor - I'm relatively stable but I do get bouts of anxiety and very low mood.

I'm worried about my ability to cope at medical school because I need to be around a support network which has been my family - I'll move away from them if I go to medical school. I'm also worried about how stressful the course will be because stress causes my anxiety which makes my depression worse..

My family think that I should choose a less stressful degree and go to a university closer to home so that they can support me and so that the degree doesn't cause too much stress.

What are your opinions? Would a medical degree be too much for someone like me? It's hard because academically I'm strong but mentally/emotionally I'm fragile.

Medicine can be a stressful degree I am not going to lie to you and it leaves to a job which can at times also be incredibly stressful. I do know people I went to medical school with who suffered with and in some cases still suffer with both and anxiety and depression. They haven't all found it easy but most of them were able to finish it (I know two people who dropped out as a result). Have you considered getting some work experience to see whether you think that the realities of life as a doctor is something that you could cope with?

Quick Reply

Latest