The Student Room Group

Should I add my old (terrible) A-levels to my UCAS application.

Hi, I am applying for 2016 entry soon and I am wondering about something.

From 2012 to 2014 I sat A-levels and completely by my own fault completely flunked. I received (C,C,D) in Maths, Computing and Physics respectively. Due to places my local sixth form would not let me resit the year and I did not want to sped the year on my own studying hard just to make my grades OK since I did consistently bad over all exams.

Subsequently I decided to go to a local college and do a 2 year extended diploma in engineering and now I am applying again with much better prospects with the diploma plus I am considering redoing the entire maths A-level and sitting it at my college.

What I am wondering is if I should put my old A-levels in my application, I am worried I would be judged negatively by universities that see my old grades. However, two of the universities I am applying to want a maths A-level alongside the diploma and I think that my 3 A-levels may be able to compensate for the A-level making entry much easier.

I am asking you guys here because I don't think any admissions departments would give me a strait answer. I would appreciate any insight into my unique situation.
Original post by swindlz

From 2012 to 2014 I sat A-levels and completely by my own fault completely flunked. I received (C,C,D) in Maths, Computing and Physics respectively. Due to places my local sixth form would not let me resit the year and I did not want to sped the year on my own studying hard just to make my grades OK since I did consistently bad over all exams.

Subsequently I decided to go to a local college and do a 2 year extended diploma in engineering and now I am applying again with much better prospects with the diploma plus I am considering redoing the entire maths A-level and sitting it at my college.

What I am wondering is if I should put my old A-levels in my application, I am worried I would be judged negatively by universities that see my old grades. However, two of the universities I am applying to want a maths A-level alongside the diploma and I think that my 3 A-levels may be able to compensate for the A-level making entry much easier.

I am asking you guys here because I don't think any admissions departments would give me a strait answer. I would appreciate any insight into my unique situation.
As you can see from this Ucas declaration, you have no choice but to declare your qualifications and not to do so is regarded as fraud.
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

However, universities like to see evidence of improvement so I wouldn't be overly pessimistic. I am sure you will find a place without much difficulty.
Original post by swindlz

you re supposed to declare every qualification you have.

I wouldn't worry too much i have awful a levels (BEE) and have done a hnd and no unis had any problem when i applied for nursing since i ve a better qualification since doing my a levels:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
As you can see from this Ucas declaration, you have no choice but to declare your qualifications and not to do so is regarded as fraud.
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

However, universities like to see evidence of improvement so I wouldn't be overly pessimistic. I am sure you will find a place without much difficulty.

Oh, I was not aware of that.

Guess there is not much to decide here. :s-smilie:
Original post by swindlz
Oh, I was not aware of that.

Guess there is not much to decide here. :s-smilie:

No, not really. But don't fret, there'll be plenty of places interested in seeing someone making big improvements. You'll be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, not really. But don't fret, there'll be plenty of places interested in seeing someone making big improvements. You'll be fine.

Do you think they could provide any merit? I am applying for Mechatronics to a few Russel group unis, As I said in the OP some universities are vague if they want the maths A level alongside the diploma such as Sheffield, perhaps they could be enough to only need the diploma.
Original post by swindlz
Do you think they could provide any merit? I am applying for Mechatronics to a few Russel group unis, As I said in the OP some universities are vague if they want the maths A level alongside the diploma such as Sheffield, perhaps they could be enough to only need the diploma.

Mature students with a range and unconventional set of qualifications are dealt with on a case by case basis, so the best thing is to call and ask. They shouldn't have a problem in telling you how you stand. They are as interested in getting suitably qualified people as you are in getting into the right place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending