The Student Room Group

Possible careers after studying geography at degree level.

I have a large interest in geography and I am considering maybe taking it as a degree once I finish my A-levels. However I have tried to research possible careers for after I complete the course, but haven't really found anything I fancy yet.

I know that Cartography, Town planning, environmental consultancy and teaching are all options but I am unaware of any others. I am not entirely interested in any of these careers so I would like to learn about some more.

Finding a career I'm interested in, in relation to geography would probably help me make my final decision on whether to study it.
How about a home office or immigration job?
Or a police person?
Original post by Aimi98
I have a large interest in geography and I am considering maybe taking it as a degree once I finish my A-levels. However I have tried to research possible careers for after I complete the course, but haven't really found anything I fancy yet.

I know that Cartography, Town planning, environmental consultancy and teaching are all options but I am unaware of any others. I am not entirely interested in any of these careers so I would like to learn about some more.

Finding a career I'm interested in, in relation to geography would probably help me make my final decision on whether to study it.

Hi,

If you really want to focus your future career on geography, there are plenty of options open to you including working within the government, either at a local or national level, or with environmental groups or charities. Check out our article on what you can do with a geography degree for more ideas!

Having said that, at Milkround, we see a large number of students picking degree courses that interest them at university, but going on to do very different jobs after university.

The great thing about the jobs system in the UK is that the majority of employers accept applicants from a variety of degree backgrounds - meaning that you can study geography at university, and still go on to do a career in something completely unrelated to geography if you like.

When thinking about where else a degree in geography can take you, think about the transferable skills it will give you and then think about what kind of roles you can do with those skills.

For example, a degree in geography will give you experience in statistics, an understanding of the global economy, understanding about sociology etc. - my point is, the skills you will gain will not limit you to careers only in geography and will open doors to plenty of other opportunities too.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions!

Chantelle & The Milkround team
Reply 4
you could apply for accounting / legal / investment banks
I'm in the same boat as you, from what I've discovered you can do most things as Geography gives you numerical and literacy skills, as well as other transferable skills. A lot Geography grads go into the civil service and law, but it's such a broad subject it can lead to so many careers 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Milkround Graduate Careers Team
Hi,

If you really want to focus your future career on geography, there are plenty of options open to you including working within the government, either at a local or national level, or with environmental groups or charities. Check out our article on what you can do with a geography degree for more ideas!

Having said that, at Milkround, we see a large number of students picking degree courses that interest them at university, but going on to do very different jobs after university.

The great thing about the jobs system in the UK is that the majority of employers accept applicants from a variety of degree backgrounds - meaning that you can study geography at university, and still go on to do a career in something completely unrelated to geography if you like.

When thinking about where else a degree in geography can take you, think about the transferable skills it will give you and then think about what kind of roles you can do with those skills.

For example, a degree in geography will give you experience in statistics, an understanding of the global economy, understanding about sociology etc. - my point is, the skills you will gain will not limit you to careers only in geography and will open doors to plenty of other opportunities too.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions!

got an article for psychology which could help me?
Original post by Killa Kam
job center applicant

Posted from TSR Mobile

OUCH!!!

But seriously though, there are a few opportunities for this guy but its a bit of a soft spot because Geography doesn't have a specific application as a degree, it's a bit of an open one. That can be good and bad in some cases.
Original post by marco14196
OUCH!!!

But seriously though, there are a few opportunities for this guy but its a bit of a soft spot because Geography doesn't have a specific application as a degree, it's a bit of an open one. That can be good and bad in some cases.

Travel Agent is as far as the degree will take you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrawlx101
got an article for psychology which could help me?

We certainly do :-)

If you don't want to go into clinical roles, degrees in psychology gives you a range of useful skills, including a deeper understanding of how humans think/work (which lends itself nicely to roles in HR & recruitment or marketing), but also the ability to analyse and process statistics (lending itself to roles in other roles in science and research, or business). Take a look at the full article for more ideas.

Drop me a message if you have any other questions!

Original post by Milkround Graduate Careers Team
We certainly do :-)

If you don't want to go into clinical roles, degrees in psychology gives you a range of useful skills, including a deeper understanding of how humans think/work (which lends itself nicely to roles in HR & recruitment or marketing), but also the ability to analyse and process statistics (lending itself to roles in other roles in science and research, or business). Take a look at the full article for more ideas.

Drop me a message if you have any other questions!

not sure if either marketing or recruitment is for me...

ugh so lost with what i want to do with life...going to draw up a checklist of a bunch of traits i think that i have and work it from there - i want to plan now so i have somewhat of a clear root after i get my AS results in like 2weeks time

think ill just wait til uni starts or when i start a2
Original post by scrawlx101
not sure if either marketing or recruitment is for me...

ugh so lost with what i want to do with life...going to draw up a checklist of a bunch of traits i think that i have and work it from there - i want to plan now so i have somewhat of a clear root after i get my AS results in like 2weeks time

think ill just wait til uni starts or when i start a2

Hi scrawlx101,

Your suggestion about drawing up a list of skills you have is a great idea - to add to that, I would also make a list of activities that you do/don't like (e.g. do you prefer to work individually or as part of a team on projects? Do you like working with tech? etc) as this can also help provide a steer for you.

I would also say - you don't have to have it all worked out at this stage in your career :-) It's quite common these days for people to try out a few different jobs/career paths before figuring out what they enjoy most. This is where getting as much work experience as you can will help you know what kind of job works best for you.

You can also use your time at university to help work out what you'd like to do too - so try not to feel under too much pressure to know exactly what you want to do right now!

Best of luck for your AS results. :-)
Choose a career first and then choose the relevant degree if it needs one and if you don't know then you should not be going to university - you should be working and figuring out what you like and most importantly - don't like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending