The Student Room Group

Masters Meltdown

This is largely a question i need to answer myself but i wondered if i could get any helpful advice from anyone on these forums, be it professional or anecdotal.

I've just graduated with a first class honors in Sport & Exercise Science (I know, what was i thinking?). I had done my research and applied to three postgraduate physiotherapy courses (MSc Physiotherapy Pre-reg). I was and still am well aware of the competitive nature of these courses but i had a good grade (can't argue with a 1:1) and a fair bit of work experience (25+ hours). Unfortunately i was unsuccessful in all of my applications. One institute provided no reason whilst the other criticisms were; not the correct A-levels, and the last reason was that my experience didn't display a wide enough knowledge of the physiotherapy field (my experience was predominantly based in musculoskeletal areas).

So now i find myself without a clear career or progression path and i wanted to seek some advice and help from the good people of these forums.

I believe i am strongly capable of completing a masters and have at least 1 year of education in me before being burnt out. I wrote my dissertation within the topic of Biomechanics (study of the human body and its movements in a primarily mathematical & physical science approach). I excelled in this area and enjoyed it. This would then, be my most likely second option for a masters, however, i was told by my tutor and other respected individuals within the biomechanics field that further study within the topic is largely pointless unless you commit to doing a PhD. This is a large commitment and one i am not willing to make just yet.

Alas, with just finishing uni and having a ridiculous amount of debt i'm also being tempted into the working world and its promise of financial and materialistic gains.

So here i find myself with three options;

- Wait until next year and re-apply for physiotherapy with an improved CV and volunteer/work experience credentials (baring in mind that it could be a wasted year if i am rejected again).

- Do a Biomechanics MSc and ejoy it but further my student debts (post-grad certainly aint cheap!) and perhaps waste a year in an arguably pointless course.

- Give in, sell my soul, and enter the working world to obtain all the shiny things i've been so long denied as a poor student.

Any help, be it wisdom, experience or just an enlightening quote would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,
Luke
It reads as if the MSC in Physiotherapy is your first choice career plan, so I think you should've cast your net wider and applied to more than three postgrad physiotherapy courses. I think applying to more institutions next time, and with more far more work experience behind you, will be worthwhile (maybe go to a careers advisor in your field before sending the applications). I'd also take your tutor's advice and not apply for the biomechanics course if they actually consider it pointless.

Side note: 2016 is the year the govenment introduces a new student type loan for Masters students (more like the Undergrad student loan). It's the reason I'm considering doing a Masters next year too; can't deal with the pressure of a typical bank loan.
Reply 2
Yes physio was my career choice, i decided to pick the questionable undergrad as its a commonly accepted degree when applying for physiotherapy.

Yeah i completely agree with the net casting analogy and i won't disagree its just that i had a specific location/area within which i wanted to do my masters and there aren't that many courses in total. As far as my research has gone, Physiotherapy is more available at the undergraduate level.

Good shout on the masters loan info, thank you!
Keep applying to masters courses you want to do. Ask for feedback if unsuccessful. Adress feedback points if they seem feasible.

If you're willing to travel and not be hung up on prestige these can all help widen uni chances.
Reply 4
Original post by Lukas_
Yes physio was my career choice, i decided to pick the questionable undergrad as its a commonly accepted degree when applying for physiotherapy.

Yeah i completely agree with the net casting analogy and i won't disagree its just that i had a specific location/area within which i wanted to do my masters and there aren't that many courses in total. As far as my research has gone, Physiotherapy is more available at the undergraduate level.

Good shout on the masters loan info, thank you!

Are you certain that physiotherapy is how you want to spend your career?

If yes, I'd say work towards it. If it means taking a year out to improve your CV, so be it. I wouldn't spend money doing a different postgrad course (as you said, they're very expensive) if it's not something you 1000% wanna do. Remember, you're gonna have your job for the rest of your life, so what's an extra year now?

As other people have said, try applying for a few more now! I was in a similar situation to you (I did physics as my undergrad, wanted to do a masters in programming, unfortunately 99% of them required comp sci) but I eventually managed to find 2 courses that I was eligible for. Keep searching :smile:
Hang on in there and reapply next year.

Get as much work/volunteer experience as you can and save as much ££ as you can. It often does take people several years to get a Masters place so dont get downhearted about one rejection. And you may find that one a job or bit of volunteer work might lead to something you really enjoy and you can put the Masters on ice for a while while you do that. Keep the Masters there as 'I want to do ..' but dont worry if it does take you a while to get there.
Reply 6
I graduated in Sports Rehab last year and wasnt ready to go straight into the masters even though i knew that was what i wanted to do. I have spent the year volunteering at a neuro centre until i got a job in Sept in the NHS as a Physio Technical Instructor. This has been a great experience and unis love NHS experience. I applied to numerous unis for MSc pre-reg and attended 6 interviews - rejected from Essex, waiting list for KIngs and an unconditional offer for UEA. Still waiting to hear back from the others but you would have more success after some more experience, If physio is want you want to do, go for it!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending