The Student Room Group

Year 12 ! What are your plans for uni? (2016 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emiloujess
I'm going to the September one :smile:

I'm going to Nottingham and Loughborough in September I think, but I'm really looking forwards to Keele. I like the sound of the course and one of my teachers did her PGCE there and she loved it.
Original post by oswalds
I'm going to Nottingham and Loughborough in September I think, but I'm really looking forwards to Keele. I like the sound of the course and one of my teachers did her PGCE there and she loved it.

Yeah, I think Keele will be my favourite, I love campus universities. My course there seems really good too, and Keele has lots of other clubs and activities that could prepare me for my career :smile:
Reply 62
A level: Biology, Geography, Maths and Further Maths

Uni choices for Maths: Aberdeen, Bristol, Reading, Leeds and either Lancaster or Cardiff

Uni choices for General Engineering: Cardiff, Aberdeen, Warwick, Exeter, Lancaster/Liverpool

I'm still uncertain.
I did AS English Language, Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy
Dropping Chemistry because... well it will be a miracle if I scrape an E ;')
Hoping to do Archaeology and applying to Chester Cardiff UCLan and Sheffield
Any advice on the 5th uni to apply to, I can't find anywhere I really like the look of but I want to maximise my chances of getting in somewhere
:smile:
Reply 64
My current AS levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography.

Definitely planning on dropping chemistry for A2 as the teaching at my school is shocking and I'm not up to the amount of work and stress required for another year - I'll stick with the subjects I enjoy. I'm also expecting to most likely have to resit 1 or even both of my AS exams for chemistry! :colondollar:

In terms of what I want to study at uni - I'm thinking biology as I absolutely love it. Providing my grades go okay in August I want to apply to York, Sheffield, Bath, Warwick and Nottingham.
Original post by oswalds

I'm also going to Nottingham in September .. to look at the History and Russian course. After receiving their undergraduate prospectus I think that Nottingham looks amazing, not only the course but the uni itself. :smile:
AS: History, Geography, English Lit (I was only offered three..)
Providing grades are ok then I will be applying to Durham, York, Birmingham, Sheffield and Cambridge to do History.
Original post by confusedkid18
ooo, biased of me to suggest but I think Liverpool Uni is pretty good, plus the city is fab! (I live here so):h:

that's looks like a good uni! I'll look into it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emiloujess
Yeah, I think Keele will be my favourite, I love campus universities. My course there seems really good too, and Keele has lots of other clubs and activities that could prepare me for my career :smile:

I hadn't really looked at Keele until someone mentioned it to me, but the more I hear about it, the more I like it. And the campus ones are great. I went to Birmingham last month and I loved the feel of the campus type.
Original post by Fleming1928
I'm also going to Nottingham in September .. to look at the History and Russian course. After receiving their undergraduate prospectus I think that Nottingham looks amazing, not only the course but the uni itself. :smile:

What day are you going on? I'm going on the 12th but I know they are doing one on the Friday as well. I'm really interested in Nottingham, it sounds like somewhere where I would be really happy. Someone I know turned down Cambridge for it, so I'm really curious to have a look now!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by oswalds
What day are you going on? I'm going on the 12th but I know they are doing one on the Friday as well. I'm really interested in Nottingham, it sounds like somewhere where I would be really happy. Someone I know turned down Cambridge for it, so I'm really curious to have a look now!

I'm going on Friday, because on Saturday I'm going to Birmingham.
I still don't know which uni I prefer. I've already visited Birmingham, however it was a school trip so we didn't get a chance to look around, hence why I've signed up to a proper open day. I think that I prefer the history modules at Birmingham, as they offer many modules about Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, whereas Nottingham has more modules about the Medieval period. I like the Russian modules at both universities as at the end of the day one way or the other you will learn the language and the history, and both universities have a compulsory year abroad during the third year and an optional time abroad during the first year. However, Nottingham has a Russian drama club where you have to learn a play in Russian and then perform it, which looks quite interesting :tongue:
Nottingham also has an ice rink on campus, I don't think Birmingham has one. This is just another plus :colondollar:
Hello! :smile:

I'm currently entering my third year, studying Forensic Science (going into the field of Forensic Entomology, which is the study of insects in the estimation of post-mortem interval) at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston.

Just popping up to say that, if anyone wants some insight/ask questions about science courses at UCLan, I'll be more than happy to advise and answer!
I took Chemistry, Computing, geography and Geology AS and will be dropping Computing.

I want to either do a joint honours in Geology and Chemistry, Or a single honours in either Chemistry or Geology. Finding it impossible to chose which as I love them both so much.

I've been screwed over by the fact that i haven't taken maths and didn't realsie this would be a huge disadvantage. I was lead to believe that if I wanted to do geology, i should study geology. If I want to do chemistry, I should study Chemistry. But apparently to study geology you need biology and maths, and to study chemistry maths is essential.

Not great.

Anyway, my University choices so far are

1) St Andrews
2) Durham
3)Imperial College London
4) Birmingham
5) Manchester
Original post by Fleming1928
I'm going on Friday, because on Saturday I'm going to Birmingham.
I still don't know which uni I prefer. I've already visited Birmingham, however it was a school trip so we didn't get a chance to look around, hence why I've signed up to a proper open day. I think that I prefer the history modules at Birmingham, as they offer many modules about Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, whereas Nottingham has more modules about the Medieval period. I like the Russian modules at both universities as at the end of the day one way or the other you will learn the language and the history, and both universities have a compulsory year abroad during the third year and an optional time abroad during the first year. However, Nottingham has a Russian drama club where you have to learn a play in Russian and then perform it, which looks quite interesting :tongue:
Nottingham also has an ice rink on campus, I don't think Birmingham has one. This is just another plus :colondollar:

I went to the History talk at Birmingham and I really enjoyed it, and spoke to some of the students as well and from what I heard, the course at Birmingham for history was really good. There is a really wide range of modules, and some I'm really, really eager to do. I'm so bad at languages, but Russian sounds so interesting, and the drama club would be really cool to take part in.
They have an ice rink? Now I just want to go there even more :tongue: Unfortunately, no ice rink at Birmingham :frown: Apparently Birmingham does have a little robot called Bob that patrols the library though, and I've heard he takes a liking to certain students and follows them around. I can also get the train there practically from my doorstep for £2, which is a plus.
Original post by oswalds
I hadn't really looked at Keele until someone mentioned it to me, but the more I hear about it, the more I like it. And the campus ones are great. I went to Birmingham last month and I loved the feel of the campus type.

Yeah I love campus unis but I'm staying clear of any unis in Birmingham or London because I don't really like big cities...
Original post by oswalds
I went to the History talk at Birmingham and I really enjoyed it, and spoke to some of the students as well and from what I heard, the course at Birmingham for history was really good. There is a really wide range of modules, and some I'm really, really eager to do. I'm so bad at languages, but Russian sounds so interesting, and the drama club would be really cool to take part in.
They have an ice rink? Now I just want to go there even more :tongue: Unfortunately, no ice rink at Birmingham :frown: Apparently Birmingham does have a little robot called Bob that patrols the library though, and I've heard he takes a liking to certain students and follows them around. I can also get the train there practically from my doorstep for £2, which is a plus.

A robot? I had to google it.
It even talks :biggrin:
http://thetab.com/uk/birmingham/2014/11/24/meet-bob-library-robot/

If I had to stay at home, I would have to catch the bus and then the train to get to Birmingham, therefore it would be easier to live in halls whether I decide to go to Birmingham or Nottingham. My bus service has the tendency to never be on time, I would not want to be late to morning lectures :tongue:
It would be quite nice to stay at home though :smile:
Original post by Alexion
Currently studying Physics, Maths, Further Maths. I dropped Geography at the end of the year (after exams, but I know full well I won't take it next year now).

Applying for MEng Electronic Engineering (or whichever courses are closest) at Surrey, Southampton and Imperial :smile:

:biggrin: Fun times

What interests you about Electrical Engineering over another type?
Reply 77
Politics, Classics and Philosophy.

Too dumb to be allowed to take 4 subjects in the first place so didn't have to deal with that dilemma :biggrin:

If my AS grades are half decent, I'd quite like to do Politics & IR at either Exeter or Kent.

If the grades are not good, I'll have to run away and bury my head in the sand somewhere.
AS: Maths, physics , geog, french + further maths (although self studying fm so will sit exams in 2016)

Applying for physics at warwick, ucl, nottingham and 2 others...

anyone else applying for physics? :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Fannibal
I just did Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History, Critical Thinking, and Creative Writing for AS level.
I'm currently doing an EPQ and I hope to carry on with Chemistry, Biology, and Maths next year.
I want to do biomedical sciences at uni, and go into forensics (maybe via medicine).
My top uni is Sheffield but I'm also looking at Edinburgh, Oxford, Durham, York, and Exeter. Not sure which one to cut from the list :s-smilie:.

I literally just cut Exeter from my list because I visited there and found the area/city so quiet and boring. The place was very beautiful and picturesque but I don't think I could personally stand living there with nothing much to do. The sports facilities are really goood but sort of expensive but the actual campus is UNBELIEVABLY hilly - compared to London at least. I think I damaged my shoes on the 30 min walk from the station to the uni. I also think it is better for humanities subjects than sciences, and it would be better to find one that is better known for its scientific research like Imperial (even tho the requirements are D:smile:.

I really like York though :smile: Don't know enough about Durham - why have you chosen it? I know it is a good uni but they all are, since they are in the russell group so if there are any specific reasons then I am interested :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest