The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can we merge this thread with the official thread, lol it would make life so much more easier :smile:
Reply 21
Dd it today, DA was my most confident section but it turned out a 640 :frown: surprisingly high on QR tho! :biggrin:
Original post by CYsuxx
Dd it today, DA was my most confident section but it turned out a 640 :frown: surprisingly high on QR tho! :biggrin:

So what is your DA, others and average scores?
Reply 23
Original post by CYsuxx

Yh was totally expecting more from my decision analysis score
Everyone keeps saying this about DA. I think they've changed their algorithm to score it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

does anyone have any techniques you use for the decision analysis? The questions which give you the english, and you have to choose the correct code. I'm struggling to find a way that's quick and effective- whether it's trying to de-code each code and see what fits best, or make up my own code from the statement and see which answer is closest? Both are really time consuming.

Rich
I did the uckat last year and in last years thread a whole bunch of people decided to troll by picking the > 800 score option, even though they hadn't done the uckat. Don't pay too much attention to the poll. Good luck!
Reply 27
Original post by EssBee_92
I haven't kept track of my raw scores but I was getting about 90% of DA questions correct and 70% correct for QR and AR and I was doing really badly in my medify VR practices (20-40%)

I ended up getting
760 VR :s-smilie:
730 QR
840 AR
740 DA This score really surprised by this because I was getting almost full marks for this section on medify and around 80/90% in the 600Q book so I thought it would be my highest score

I would just focus on finding a technique that works well for you and practise questions with time limits. I don't know how UKCAT scores are worked out but I think its more important to work on timing rather than trying to guess what score your raw score would get you in the actual exam.

Hey man, congrats on that ukcat score.

I just wanted to know the accuracy of the medify questions compared to the actual exam.

Are the questions fairly similar in terms of difficulty (i.e. shape patterns, length of passages)?

Also how did you improve your VR by such a huge margain because I'm only getting around 50% in my times practices too!!
Phew! Im mighty glad thats over!! I was sweating like a tomato at a ketchup factory! I wasnt allowed to bring water in, which I think is rather silly considering the length of the test and the amount of steam coming out of my ears trying to speed through the 2nd and 3rd sections.

That being said, I sat the UKCAT on wednesday and have been grinning ear to ear since.

I scored 820,830,900,690 and got band 2 on SJ. Not sure how not getting in to band 1 will affect my chances.

Good luck anybody doing it soon, and if its not for a while I suggest not running out of questions!

Stay hydrated!
Original post by Ooooooooowen
Phew! Im mighty glad thats over!! I was sweating like a tomato at a ketchup factory! I wasnt allowed to bring water in, which I think is rather silly considering the length of the test and the amount of steam coming out of my ears trying to speed through the 2nd and 3rd sections.

That being said, I sat the UKCAT on wednesday and have been grinning ear to ear since.

I scored 820,830,900,690 and got band 2 on SJ. Not sure how not getting in to band 1 will affect my chances.

Good luck anybody doing it soon, and if its not for a while I suggest not running out of questions!

Stay hydrated!

Wow!!!! What scores! Amazing well done. How did you do VR? Was DA same as Kaplan or medify? How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chikutee
Hey man, congrats on that ukcat score.

I just wanted to know the accuracy of the medify questions compared to the actual exam.

Are the questions fairly similar in terms of difficulty (i.e. shape patterns, length of passages)?

Also how did you improve your VR by such a huge margain because I'm only getting around 50% in my times practices too!!

I personally found medify VR harder than questions on the official UKCAT mocks and I did one official mock a day leading up to my exam. My scores in those mocks were much better (I think I got 11 wrong out of 44 in mock A) so I would maybe practice a few official UKCAT questions and see how you fare in those.

Length of passages were medium, none were really long.

I found the AR questions on medify excellent and they are the reason my AR score is so high but I would say AR difficulty is in between mock a and and b.

DA Qs I felt were representative on medify but my score wasn't the highest surprisingly.

With QR although the difficulty of the questions asked is the same in the actual UKCAT you are not given as much data and huge tables and graphs to work with
Original post by Ooooooooowen

Stay hydrated!

@EssBee_92

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me some tips on VR and DA? I'm struggling a lot with them :/
Original post by HCAssistant93
Wow!!!! What scores! Amazing well done. How did you do VR? Was DA same as Kaplan or medify? How did it go?

Thanks very much :smile: For VR I followed my kaplan book pretty much word for word what it instructed, and i worked fast so I had plenty of time left to go back through the really long ones. DA was very like what was in my Kaplan book, I only heard of medify today, so I have no clue how it compares Medify. And didnt do so good on DA so i wont offer any advice on that :tongue:

Good luck
[QUOTE="Ooooooooowen;58113597"]

Thanks very much :smile: For VR I followed my kaplan book pretty much word for word what it instructed, and i worked fast so I had plenty of time left to go back through the really long ones. DA was very like what was in my Kaplan book, I only heard of medify today, so I have no clue how it compares Medify. And didnt do so good on DA so i wont offer any advice on that :tongue:

Good luck

Hey any tips for VR?
I personally found medify VR harder than questions on the official UKCAT mocks and I did one official mock a day leading up to my exam. My scores in those mocks were much better (I think I got 11 wrong out of 44 in mock A) so I would maybe practice a few official UKCAT questions and see how you fare in those.

Length of passages were medium, none were really long.

I found the AR questions on medify excellent and they are the reason my AR score is so high but I would say AR difficulty is in between mock a and and b.

DA Qs I felt were representative on medify but my score wasn't the highest surprisingly.

With QR although the difficulty of the questions asked is the same in the actual UKCAT you are not given as much data and huge tables and graphs to work with

Thanks for this! I find AR on medify great, if it is that level I hope to do good on it! I think the algorithm for DA has changed. That's good to know about VR, the timing is so crucial.
So would you say QR is easier or same as the official UKCAT mocks?

What were you averaging in practices and how did you stay calm to get such high scores!?

I'd be elated with that result! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for this! I find AR on medify great, if it is that level I hope to do good on it! I think the algorithm for DA has changed. That's good to know about VR, the timing is so crucial.
So would you say QR is easier or same as the official UKCAT mocks?

What were you averaging in practices and how did you stay calm to get such high scores!?

I'd be elated with that result! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Posted from TSR Mobile

The official mocks give you big tables and graphs which require a lot of valuable time to find the numbers you need to answer the question but in the actual ukcat you don't get as much data.

I was getting almost full marks for DA about 70% correct for QR and AR and VR was just disastrous on medify
I did okay on the mock tests on the official ukcat website with the exception of QR because of the huge tables/graphs you have to work with.
I have taken UKCAT before which really helps with the nerves because I knew what to expect on test day.
I'm sure you will do great :smile: Just stay calm and keep up the practice for now. I would recommend planning your revision so you don't either run out of resources or don't get to use them all like me lol
The official mocks give you big tables and graphs which require a lot of valuable time to find the numbers you need to answer the question but in the actual ukcat you don't get as much data.

I was getting almost full marks for DA about 70% correct for QR and AR and VR was just disastrous on medify
I did okay on the mock tests on the official ukcat website with the exception of QR because of the huge tables/graphs you have to work with.
I have taken UKCAT before which really helps with the nerves because I knew what to expect on test day.
I'm sure you will do great :smile: Just stay calm and keep up the practice for now. I would recommend planning your revision so you don't either run out of resources or don't get to use them all like me lol

Thanks for this! That's good to know about QR because sometimes I do feel there is too much to do in the time.

I have 2 and half weeks. I hAve medify but I have done all the questions. I have 2 mocks left. I also have the Kaplan book (been through all expcept final mock) and online Kaplan course with 6 mocks and more questions. Also have the 600Q book but I don't use it as much as don't feel it is as helpful.

I was planning on buying emedica 2 week material as well, do you think I should or do I have enough?

Can anyone else recommend emedica?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for this! That's good to know about QR because sometimes I do feel there is too much to do in the time.

I have 2 and half weeks. I hAve medify but I have done all the questions. I have 2 mocks left. I also have the Kaplan book (been through all expcept final mock) and online Kaplan course with 6 mocks and more questions. Also have the 600Q book but I don't use it as much as don't feel it is as helpful.

I was planning on buying emedica 2 week material as well, do you think I should or do I have enough?

Can anyone else recommend emedica?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you might run out of resources its probably a good idea to get it. I have never heard of emedica though so can't help you with whether its a good resource or not.
@EssBee_92 Hey what did you get in VR? And do you have any tips for the comprehension style questions :/? The ones on medify are killing me >.<
Original post by Don Pedro K.
@EssBee_92 Hey what did you get in VR? And do you have any tips for the comprehension style questions :/? The ones on medify are killing me >.<

I got 760. I honestly don't have any magic technique, I was still struggling with timing the day before my exam...
You can either read each statement and then scan for keywords in the passage and eliminate each answer accordingly.
I struggled with this technique so I would speed read the passage and then answer all the questions usually without referring back to the passage. I don't recommend my technique, its just what worked best for me.
You need to find whatever technique works best for you.
How are you doing on the official UKCAT VR questions? If you're getting a decent percentage correct then I wouldn't worry too much because the official UKCAT questions are more representative of the actual exam than medify

Latest

Trending

Trending