The Student Room Group

I have no idea what I want to do with my life

Hi all i have sat 5 highers this year at chemistry, english, maths, modern studies and physics. I have always wanted to be an engineer mainly with renewable energies, but with tory cuts to renewable energies ive hit a standstill. Also its recommended you take advanced maths for like all engineering courses and i cant do that. My options are currently advanced physics, advanced maths, higher business and leadership. Engineering i see now as a lot of work for lower pay than what ogher prospects are, its not all about moneyhowever i want to be earning a great salary for hard work. A bit of backgrkund for me is i love physics, despite exam going pear shaped like most pupils sitting it, physics is my love and i also like technology and may drop business for computing

Anyways, what degree do you recommend i do/ look at
The term 'engineering' encompasses a huge range of careers. Literally everything you see infront of you is the product of engineering. Just because the tories introduced cuts doesn't mean it will all disappear.

A big problem right now in the west is the lack of engineers. They're in very high demand.

Why don't you take a look at the other types, such as chemical, mechanical, naval and aeronautical to see if anything jumps out?
Original post by ScottWM98
Hi all i have sat 5 highers this year at chemistry, english, maths, modern studies and physics. I have always wanted to be an engineer mainly with renewable energies, but with tory cuts to renewable energies ive hit a standstill. Also its recommended you take advanced maths for like all engineering courses and i cant do that. My options are currently advanced physics, advanced maths, higher business and leadership. Engineering i see now as a lot of work for lower pay than what ogher prospects are, its not all about moneyhowever i want to be earning a great salary for hard work. A bit of backgrkund for me is i love physics, despite exam going pear shaped like most pupils sitting it, physics is my love and i also like technology and may drop business for computing

Anyways, what degree do you recommend i do/ look at

For someone who has no idea of what they want to do with their life, you sure do know a-lot about where you want to go. If you want to do engineering you don't need to take AH maths, as 1st year on uni they will teach you the maths you need to know, at least thats what I've been told for chemical engineering. And there will be plenty of engineering jobs west as it is in high demand. You could work on planes with aeronautical engineering, you would work in the chemical industry, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, soaps, plastics with chem engineering, and tons of stuff with mechanical engineering.

If you really want to do renewable energy, do it. The way I see it the cuts don't matter as there will be high demand for it especially in Scotland. Oil and Gas won't last much longer and we will be forced eventually to invest in renewable energy so there will be jobs available.
Reply 3
Original post by Pennyarcade
The term 'engineering' encompasses a huge range of careers. Literally everything you see infront of you is the product of engineering. Just because the tories introduced cuts doesn't mean it will all disappear.

A big problem right now in the west is the lack of engineers. They're in very high demand.

Why don't you take a look at the other types, such as chemical, mechanical, naval and aeronautical to see if anything jumps out?

Thankyou greatly! Chemistry was my best exam by far this year i found it easier than the rest and my aunt was a chemical engineer and never talls bad of her time so i may look in to it
Reply 4
Original post by Zain-A
For someone who has no idea of what they want to do with their life, you sure do know a-lot about where you want to go. If you want to do engineering you don't need to take AH maths, as 1st year on uni they will teach you the maths you need to know, at least thats what I've been told for chemical engineering. And there will be plenty of engineering jobs west as it is in high demand. You could work on planes with aeronautical engineering, you would work in the chemical industry, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, soaps, plastics with chem engineering, and tons of stuff with mechanical engineering.

If you really want to do renewable energy, do it. The way I see it the cuts don't matter as there will be high demand for it especially in Scotland. Oil and Gas won't last much longer and we will be forced eventually to invest in renewable energy so there will be jobs available.

Thank you so much for saying that you get taught the maths! I may look in to chemical and aeronautical however it seems no matter what most of the time with engineering degrees your degree isnt the same as your job type lol
IMHO you'd be foolish to not take AH maths. Almost everyone will have it, or possibly even more for the foreign students. You will be at a disadvantage as it starts off easy but quickly goes beyond advanced higher level
Original post by langlitz
IMHO you'd be foolish to not take AH maths. Almost everyone will have it, or possibly even more for the foreign students. You will be at a disadvantage as it starts off easy but quickly goes beyond advanced higher level

Yeah, but for someone like me who is planning on applying to chem eng as a back up for medicine and is taking AH Bio + AH Chem and honestly cba to take 3 AH's will just have to suck it up and learn the maths in first year uni.

Which is why I would't apply for second year entry if i got the required AH results.
Original post by Zain-A
Yeah, but for someone like me who is planning on applying to chem eng as a back up for medicine and is taking AH Bio + AH Chem and honestly cba to take 3 AH's will just have to suck it up and learn the maths in first year uni.
Which is why I would't apply for second year entry if i got the required AH results.

Fair enough if you're applying for medicine! Good luck :smile:
I suggest you don't do anything about Uni just yet.

You clearly don't know what you want to do with your life, what you want to study - or why.
Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni straight from school, and most people who take a Gap Year (or several) never regret it - because it gives them valuable breathing space, and they usually have the time of their lives. Do some work, save some money, and travel. You have the rest of your life to go to Uni.

Ideas :
http://www.resortwork.co.uk/
https://www.seasonworkers.com/summerjobs/summer-resort-jobs.aspx
http://www.keadventure.com/
http://www.dragoman.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending